5.0 out of 5 stars Get 'em before they're all gone
Published on 13 Aug 2007 by Bob Cross

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of kit for the money - but beware problems!
When this arrived I was very impressed by what I got - not only the NOKIA N770 itself with all of the accessories but also the bluetooth GPS module and a high-quality mounting kit for the car.
Published on 8 Nov 2008 by D. B. Pibworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Get 'em before they're all gone, 13 Aug 2007
Bob Cross (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia 770 Internet Tablet with Navigation Kit (Electronics)
Originally I tried to buy the Nokia 770 on it's own from another supplier because, following a price cut to less than 80 I figured it was good value for a networkable Linux PDA. Unfortunately they let me down, so next stop was Amazon to see if I could source one from them. They only had the "Navikit" pack available for nearly double what I was going to pay but, since I don't have sat-nav already, I figured I could justify the extra expense to get a large memory card and the GPS receiver. So I'm using it in two modes: as a PDA/wireless-tablet and as a sat-nav device.

As a PDA it's not that good - a Palm or Windows PDA would be better. But it it very expandable and the media players are usable. The downside is that this uses RSMMC or MMCmobile cards rather than larger/cheaper/easier-to-get SD or variants thereof. Plays a mean game of chess too.

As a wireless tablet, it's pretty usable (with restrictions). The screen is quite clear, and it starts quicker than most PC's - ideal for those "I just need to check the news/weather/road-report" moments. I've also found that the wireless hardware in it is very good - better than the Netgear and US Robotics cards in my desktop PC. The webbrowser is limited by the lack of screen size and keyboard, plus (currently) the lack of support for "essential" web technologies such as Java and Flash.

The GPS receiver is a Nokia branded one, which is small (about the size of a cigarette lighter) and appears to use the same rechargable battery and charger as the '770 itself. The sat-nav software is supplied by NavicoreTech and is pre-installed on the 1GB RS-MMC card supplied in the pack, (so technically it's plug-in and go). Also in the pack are a windscreen mount for the '770 and a cigarette lighter power lead for the '770.

I'd strongly recommend visiting NavicoreTech's site and upgrading the software (using a Windows PC usually) as the later version is noticably better than the default version supplied. You can also then add extra content such as other voice models (the "Afrikaans" ones are my favourites at the moment) and extra points-of-interest such as speed camera locations.

In use the sat-nav, (which has distinct drive, walk and cycle modes - and I've tested the first two in that list), is quite usable and takes about 30-120 seconds to obtain the location when first switched on. Instructions and screen display are clear, although a little more volume from the '770 would be nice, (time to use an FM Radio sender?), and the software handles dynamic rerouting (when you change your mind) reasonably most of the time. Downsides are that the software sometimes needs more than one attempt to start and occasionally it also can get very fixed in it's thinking, preferring to send you back on yourself rather than generate a simpler route ahead. The GPS receiver doesn't seem to work at all in most multi-storey car parks, which can be a problem.

In conclusion I'm quite happy with my choice. I figure that a dedicated sat-nav costs 120-190 and can't really be used for anything else, (although I know some have MP3 players now), most of them being car-only devices. On the other hand, my Nokia kit will browse the internet, play MP3's, play videos as well as being usable as a sat-nav/mapper for when I'm either in the car or trying to get to an urban location I'm unsure about on foot.

At Nokia's original price (250+) I wouldn't recommend this, however at the current 100 discount this is very good value for money indeed, even allowing that the '770 itself has been replaced by a newer model, (and the NavicoreTech software and GPS also works with the newer model - Nokia 800 - so there's an upgrade path if that newer device becomes cheaper).

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute bargain, 24 Oct 2007
Got to agree with previous reviews. At this price it's a no brainer.
After considerable delay in delivery (12 days- but there was a postal strike) I eventually received this a couple of days ago. Out th box and charged up immediatley connected to my wifi and accessing the internet. Tried accessing through my Sony 'phone and again no problems in making the connection. It's not the most up to date software and you wont be able to use YouTube - not a problem for me anyway. If you want simple easy to use anywhere internet access then it does what it says. Also use as a music and media player ( with extra memory card recommended).
The satnav is excellent and provides all the functions of more pricey dedicated satnav systems. The screen is clear and bright- larger than most systems I have seen - and so are the instructions. All round value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute steal, 18 Oct 2007
Pat (Mid Wales) - See all my reviews
This package has got to be one of the very best bargains around and I am grateful to the two very comprehensive reviews above which confirmed what I had seen on the net. This tablet is superb and I am amazed at the build quality ( made in Germany ), compact size and ease of use. The screen is stunning and the zoom features really do make the text easy to read. It took me a while to set up the connection to my Orange Livebox but once sorted, the connection time is almost as fast as my Sony Vaio. I used the Satnav to Liverpool today and was very impressed with the system. As a very satisfied TomTom user I did not expect too much from the Navicore system but I was very impressed with the mapping, the speed scaled zoom and the voice directions which I think are better than TomTom's. I have downloaded Mapper from the Maemo site and now have full world mapping from Google Earth and MS Virtual Earth.

I know that the 770 has been replaced by the 800 which is about to be replaced by the 810 but it does all I want for a price that is a steal. For 130 I have a fully featured Satnav with a Bluetooth GPS, an internet connection, email, a radio and an MP3 player. Plus, having seen the 800, I much prefer the 770's looks, build quality and hard cover which does an excellent job of protecting the screen. I used the WiFi in Liverpool this morning to see what connections were available and 20 came up immediately.

This is a very impressive piece of kit and an absolute bargain. It would cost you 80 for the SatNav and screen mount alone so even if you did eventually want to upgrade to the 810, the tablet would have cost you only 50. This review has been written and sent on the 770 from my garden and about 60 feet away from my Orange Livebox. As said before, get one before they all go. Superb.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of kit for the money - but beware problems!, 8 Nov 2008
D. B. Pibworth "G4KWT" (Woodley, Berkshire UK) - See all my reviews
The N770 arrived with OS2005 installed whereas the documentation was for OS2006? The Navicore GPS software would not install with this version of OS so I downloaded OS2006 from the Nokia website and flashed it into the N770. I then found that the N770 was completely blind to any wifi signals so I could not connect to my home network. It had worked fine with OS2005. On investigation I discovered that this is a known issue with the N770 with OS2006 onwards and is believed to be due to a either a problem of compatability with the newer wireless 'N' wifi standard or the unit not be able to cope if there are lots of wireless networks in range.
With OS2006 installed the unit worked fine at the wifi hotspot at my local coffee shop.
The N770 is a nice unit but beware - with OS2006 the wifi may not work in locations where there is lots of wifi activity or with wireless 'N' networks nearby. OS2005 only gives basic operation of the N770 as there appears to be little or no third party software for this version of the OS.
If I had not been able to use the excellent LD-3W bluetooth GPS module with my laptop and the unit had not worked with my favourite internet music site then I think I would have returned the package as unfit for purpose.

4.0 out of 5 stars It depends., 27 Dec 2007
Whether this is a big bargain or useless trash depends on what you want and what's your type. If you are a Microsoft Windows user and just want a PDA for Email/Calender/MS Office, then choose a Windows Mobile enabled PDA will be a much easier choice. If you just want a good GPS, then a dedicated TomTom is much better.

BUT if you are a Linux user or you want to build/install/config something for hobby, and you know what is Xterm, ssh, Debian packages, etc. then this is a good bargain for you. Go get it! Although N770 is out dated by N800 and now N810, it is still a good solid designed product with on going software support (not from Nokia though). The Maemo OS2007 Hacker edition is pretty good and many people believe there will be a OS2008 cousin as well in near future. You can config dual-boot for the device and install mulitple OS. PIM software, PDF/EBook/Doc readers can be freely download and Skype is available on the hacker edition. Free GPS software on Linux is also available.

On the hardware side, the N770 support 2G MMC card and USB host mode (without power supply, but a powered USB hub will do).

One big complain is the Flash support for Web browing. It seems that there is still no Flash 9.0 support even with the hacker edition. So can not view YouTube like sites. Hopefull it will change. The JAVA support is also very poor.

5.0 out of 5 stars just great, 18 Oct 2007
Gary Harvey "Gary" (Essex Uk) - See all my reviews
Got this for my son Ashley who is off to Oz in a few weeks, just the sort of kit he will need, so small ,just put it in youre pocket. screen is great,as it also comes with the extra sat nav, what a bargain,just got to spend a bit of time playing with it, at the end of the day is a super bit of kit,I may order another one for myself. Ashley have a fab time and dont get lost!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Nokia N770 Internet Tablet, 23 Nov 2007
Charles Lo "gizmo" (England) - See all my reviews
I was on the search for a Sat Nav and when I came across the N770, I thought this would be ideal. For its price it combines SatNav/PDA/Wifi and at 139 a bargain. I have had it for less than 3 weeks and already the screen has gone blank and resetting it doesn't cure it. I have now returned it to Amazon for a refund. It's a shame as this price, the N770 should have been a winner but for the flimsy build.