5.0 out of 5 stars The only vac you'll ever need!
Published on 29 Aug. 2007 by Scarymamma

3.0 out of 5 stars whistle while you work
after happily owning a dc07 for a number of years, I gave it to my mum and bought this new and improved model
on switching on it started to make a high pitch whine, which became more and more irritating.
I contacted the dyson helpline, who said this 'whistle' is common on the dc14. does anyone else have this horrible whine when using theirs?
dyson told me...
Published on 30 Nov. 2007 by Aubz

5.0 out of 5 stars The only vac you'll ever need!, 29 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Dyson DC14 All Floors Upright Vacuum Cleaner for Every Floor Type (Kitchen & Home)
I've had a Dyson for 15 years and decided it was time to replace my old DC01 (which was still working and has never broken down). We have a mixture of hard floors and carpets and I wanted something that could cope with both so I didn't have to store 2 vacs. I've had the DC14 All Floors for 3 months now and I love it. Yes it is heavy but it is VERY powerful. It has no problem coping with dog hair and works BRILLIANTLY on both hard floor and carpet - it's child's play to switch from one to the other. Dyson have made a lot of design improvements since the DC01. I find my DC14 much easier to manoeuvre, it is more streamlined and so fits under furniture and into smaller gaps. It has very long flex so I can plug it into a central socket and vac all the rooms on that floor without needing to move the plug. I can vac the whole house in a fraction of the time it used to take me. **It is also 100% easier to empty.** Just press a button on the dust collection canister and the bottom flips open and all the muck slides out with the minimum amount of dust created (great if like me you want a Dyson because of a house dust mite allergy).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best...., 23 Jan. 2008
L. Burrows (Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this Dyson about 2 years ago. I had not owned a Dyson before, but after borrowing my daughters DC01, decided to replace my 'regular' vacuum cleaner with this model ( we have brick, tiled and wooden floors as well as carpet ).

Yes, it's a bit noisy, but it cleans SO well and is SO easy to use that I forgot about it almost immediately!

After 35 years of vacuums that don't shift cat hairs, sewing threads or fluff and only remove dust and dirt from the very top of the carpet pile, the Dyson's powerful suction was a revelation.

I still get real pleasure from using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quantum Leap, 9 Oct. 2008
M. Emery "mariem" (Midlands) - See all my reviews
My DC01 was beginning to show its age, and though it had never given any trouble in the 10 years I've had it, at the first excuse I persuaded myself that it was time to buy a new Dyson. (The 'excuse' was actually a loose (fixable) wire but Opportunity was knocking . . .)
I knew that Dysons had obviously come a long way since the 01 but the DC14 All floors is a good Quantum Leap ahead in technology and performance. I expected it to be better, but not that much better!
My carpet appears to be a different colour, the cat hairs have completely gone, it cleans up to the edges much more efficiently than the 01, and I find the machine itself extremely easy to handle and manoeuvre around the house. The new system for emptying the dust is brilliant and all the buttons are easy to find and operate - once you know where they all are. It is well worth reading the handbook and familiarising yourself with the anatomy of the machine before you start. I know, it's a vacuum - how hard can it be . . . but it did help!
I would recommend this machine to anyone, it's well worth the extra expense, and a 5 year guaratee is worth a lot. Well done Mr. Dyson!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cleaning, can be heavy to pull/push, 25 Mar. 2009
This Dyson has excellent suction and is very good on my hard floors, cleaning right to the edges and not scratching at all. It is noticeably louder than my old DC04 but you get used to that. It has an excellent new emptying system which makes it extremely easy to empty - great news for me as I dreaded emptying the DC04! I find it quite heavy to push and pull on thick pile carpets but it is better on stairs than the 04, although I still think that Dyson could improve on this.
All in all I am very pleased with this vacuum and am extremely glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cleaner we've had, 28 Mar. 2009
JennyG (Highlands, Scotland) - See all my reviews
First impressions are very good. Extremely impressed with the suction and cleaning power. Judging by the amount of dust and dirt it picked up on it's first use, our previous cleaner must just have been moving dust around rather than picking it up!! Never bought a Dyson before because of their reputation for poor reliability, but this has apparently improved and if this proves to be the case will be very happy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 25 Mar. 2010
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Initially I didnt want to spend much on a hoover and bought a cheap bagless one which quite frankly made hoovering the most annoying chore. I eventually ponied up the cash for this and quite frankly I will never now use anything else.

Build quality is fantastic which is backed by a 5 year guarantee! Performance is light years ahead of anything I've ever used. Picks up stuff other hoovers would never reach and left carpets and floors much cleaner. It's a breeze to use and I cannot recommend enough!

Recently cleaned the filter which was also a breeze! The thought which has clearly gone into every aspect of design shines through in everything you do with it!

Also a handy touch is registering online means you receive periodic reminders such as it being time to think about cleaning the filter, with links to a guide should you no longer have the manual. A very nice touch which demonstrates their commitment to their product and reassures you in a way!

Like my review? Please rate it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought one sooner., 8 July 2008
Mrs B (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
After having 5 different vacuum cleaners over the past 8 years, none of them can compare to this ones efficiency. It really has made my house feel cleaner dispite having older carpets. Was always put off by the price but there are some good deals on Dysons now if you search around. My old hoover, left me having to sweep the stair AFTER I had cleaned it - won't be doing that again now...

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Cleaner, 28 Oct. 2007
I bought one of these a few weeks ago and it is very good - does exactly what it says that it does. Emptying the dust out is now just a push button job, and changing floor surface from hard floors to carpets and back is a simple rotating switch. For some reason the wand slips out of the tube when it is stretched, which I haven't managed to solve yet, so I have given it four stars not five. Although Dyson are generally so good that it wouldn't surprise me if this is my mistake not theirs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, and will make you stronger too!, 19 May 2009
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I previously owned a DC01 cleaner before this, and as it had started to have a few issues (I'd had it for ten years and sucked up all kinds of stuff, including small pieces of rubble, so it wasn't a surprise that it went quirky) I decided to upgrade. The DC14 was my choice.

The cleaner itself is large and although not exactly light it isn't as heavy as it initially looks. As most of the materials used are plastics this keeps the weight down.

A few nice features:
* The tools all attach to the top of the cleaner's body, so you're unlikely to lose them;
* There is a rotary dial close to the brushes which allows you to switch them off should you be cleaning a hard floor;
* Unlike my old DC01 the tools attach directly to the hose, so you don't need a strange little gizmo to connect the two;
* When emptying the bin you remove the entire front of the cleaner, and when you arrive at your dustbin you press a button and the bottom swings loose, allowing the dust and fluff etc. to fall away. Nifty!
* The hose contains a metal tube, which can be extended to allow cleaning of hard to reach areas (high curtains, nooks & crannies etc.)
* No filters! My old DC01 used two thin gauzy filters which had to be changed every few months. The DC14 has a thick sponge disk just above the bin (inside the white part you can see on the product photo) and you just wash this in cold water every few months, leave it to dry for 24 hours, and hey presto!

There is, however, one tiny problem. Because the DC14 is very powerful you'll think it is incredibly heavy when in use, but it is actually just the Dyson sucking at the carpet! If you look, you'll actually see the carpet being lifted, bulging slightly, as you push the cleaner around! It isn't a problem and doesn't do any damage (at least I haven't noticed any) but it does make the cleaner seem heavy and hard to use. Still, it makes you stronger. My girlfriend refuses to use it though, so now I do all the cleaning and as a result have arms like Popeye.

The best vacuum I've ever had.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but...., 1 Sept. 2009
Delayed writing this review until I had a few weeks experience of the DC14... it works very well and I am very happy with the purchase.

However, I am a 6' 1" male... and this machine is quite heavy, so taking it up and down stairs would be a trial for many smaller, weaker owners.

The vacuum pull is so efficient that I suspect some people would also have problems pushing the DC14 across thick carpets.

I think they do not promote the side benefits enough - using the DC14 will make you stronger and fitter, as well as cleaning up well! I've lost a stone in weight since getting the DC14.

If you do not get stronger and fitter, you will be selling the machine on very quickly.