4.0 out of 5 stars Brummie boldness/Midlands mayhem....
Belly laughs....superb guitar licks and a very strong grasp of a good tune.,...this is a classic british album.

Published on 26 July 2007 by DOGG

3.0 out of 5 stars It should have been so much better.
Published on 6 May 2008 by mollynew442

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Brummie boldness/Midlands mayhem...., 26 July 2007
This review is from: Love It When I Feel Like This (Audio CD)

Birmingham quintet The Twang have been derided as "baggy copyists" but the baggy feel only adds to this raw and varied debut album. The guitar sound layered throughout this album is different and inventive lifting some of the tracks from pub rock chug to indie masterpieces,this is mixed in with some clever lyrics and playful storytelling.

I'm not quite sure how this album will sit in ten years time but it felt very NOW to me and is full of a working class passion that so often gets swept under the chav banner of apathy and mindless aggression. Buy this and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but a good effort, 9 Nov 2007
This review is from: Love It When I Feel Like This (Audio CD)
The Twang seem to have got a few listeners riled. Something I am sure they were aiming to achieve. It comes as no suprise that this album is being slated by people who only saw them beacuse they were supporting Milburn, one of the most bland and uncreative bands in music today.

This album is not a complete revelation and it does not signal a change for indie music. It is however filled with great and catchy songs that you will want to return to.

Album opener 'Ice Cream Sundae' is a quality track and shows exactly why they have been compared to The Happy Mondays while Single 'Either Way' shows that they are capable of writing a real quality song which is lyriccally sound without just swearing and repeating tunes.

Other highlights include 'Push the Ghosts' (another song that escapes the repeated tune and swearing that some reviewers have commented on) and 'Dont wait Up' which they manage to be just about subtle enough with for them to get away with it thanks to the brilliant soul vocals of 'that other guy who does nothing'.

A good album worth exploring if you can manage to be open mided about bands who can create indie music which stretches beyond Oasis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different from all the dull indie bands!, 19 Sep 2007
This review is from: Love It When I Feel Like This (Audio CD)
Totally agree with the review below.I loved this album the first time I heard it.The reason-It sounds nothing like the indie bands at the minute that all sound the same. (Stand up The View,Fratellis,Pigeon Detectives,The Enemy etc)Yes it may sound like something from the 90's,but thats a good thing compared to all the dreary indie bands at the minute that don't deliver anything fresh.At least the songs are singalong anthems.Sid.Burton.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of 2007, 11 Jun 2007
When I was younger I would spend my nights dancing like crazy to the Happy Mondays, the Stone Roses, CARTER, Wonderstuff... then I grew up, and the bands changed. Never again was that feeling of energy rekindled, of findind a new album which felt fresh and felt like it had been "Made in the 90's".

Until I found The Twang.

Its as though the much talked about 90's Revival may finally be on its way. The Twang capture the old feeling, and combine it with the new "Streets" style of music, and it works perfectly.

Every song on this album is instantly familiar, and yet excitingly new. Lots of big expressions such as "the next big thing" have already been aimed at this band by people far bigger than me, but for once, I really hope their right.

Cant wait to find them live! But for now, get this album, you wont regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Banana, 24 July 2009
This review is from: Love It When I Feel Like This (Audio CD)
I bought the album because of two hits that The Twang had which were included on the CD, and at first I was a bit disappointed. However, after listening to it a few times in the car, I really like it and it must be my most listened to album of the past two years.

Not to be played when you've got the kids in the car, though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Totally Unexpected, 18 Jun 2009
Stappo (Ipswich UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love It When I Feel Like This (Audio CD)
I bought this on a whim after seeing a performance of Either Way from Glastonbury a year or so back. What a refreshing & pleasant surprise. Music that seemed unburdened with having to try & make a point or aim at a certain market.

Give it a go if you enjoy listening to a band just wanting to make music and obviously enjoying themselves in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good I had to buy it., 20 May 2009
Amazon Customer (doncaster, s.yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love It When I Feel Like This (Audio CD)
Well as the title says. I had this on a lend from a M8 who bought it and didnt like it. Recently he heard it at a party and said "WHOA who's that? Thats a great album!"...The Host said thats "The Twang- I love it when I feel like this"....Next thing you know hes knocking on my door and wants his CD back. Well I coped without this album for about a month. The problems with this album are, its all about your state of mind and its a massive grower! The first time I heard it I wasnt so keen. Then I listened to it again in a melancholy and thoughtfull mood! Then a copy of it spent about 2 months doing the "circuit" in the car CD player. There are many modern classics out there. "The Stone Roses", "Urban Hymns", "Whats the Story Morning Glory" "Kasabian"...My only wonder is why this isnt on the list? Its on Mine! It should be on yours too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album I have heard in years, 28 Jan 2009
This review is from: Love It When I Feel Like This (Audio CD)
I was introduced to this band at a drunken new years eve party, I have not stopped playing the album since. How refreshing to listen to a record of 11 tracks that all stand out individually rather than the mass produced records around today with three hit singles and 8 filler tracks.
I have not skipped a tune on this record since I got it. The sound is reasuringly familier and not over produced, the lyricks are genius, funny and about everyday life. I cant wait for the next album and a more extensive tour.

3.0 out of 5 stars It should have been so much better., 6 May 2008
This review is from: Love It When I Feel Like This (Audio CD)
I saw the band live on several occasions prior to the release of the album and was blown away at each performance. The band were brash and full of attitude. They worked the (small) crowd well and with their baggy meets indie guitar sound they had the potential to be huge. I had huge hopes that the album would be brilliant and having heard their My Space material expected a fantastic record. Unfortunately the recorded songs have lost so much of what made them so good live. Compared to the original My Space version even Wide Awake sounds too polished. The CD for me has destroyed the very sound which made The Twang so appealing. Even the Midlands accent, so thick on stage, seems to have been lessened. Why Cloudy Room ends with a lullaby I do not know. There are some great tunes here such as "Wide Awake", "The Neighbour", "Either Way" and "Cloudy Room". However there is also a lot of filler. This album really was a missed opportunity. Had it recreated the excitement and raw edge of the band I saw then they would be massive. Sadly it doesn't and one suspects that few will remember The Twang in 12 months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most of the junk out there, 29 Jan 2008
This review is from: Love It When I Feel Like This (Audio CD)
Never mind all the hype and froth. This album, while not perfect, has some cracking tracks . Either Way, Two Lovers and Wide Awake are sublime. Cloudy Room may have its detractors but has more hooks than an angling club and is a great narrative song about a night out with your mates. Sure they wear their influences on their baggy sleeve but name me one band who dont?

The guitar sound is reminiscent of The Edge and the production is polished. Best played loud. You and I will hear an awful lot worse.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Love It When I Feel Like This
Love It When I Feel Like This by The Twang (Audio CD - 2007)