5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous
Being a fan of Linkin Park since they burst onto the scene in 2000 with the impressive "Hybrid Theory", and then refining their art (and I believe, improving it) with "Meteora" in 2003, I purchased Minutes To Midnight with high hopes for more of the same.

Published on 11 Aug 2007 by Mr. M. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a shame
I found this album rather disappointing, after their previous efforts this album just seemed weak, it doesn't have the same feel as their other work. Some of the tracks are very good, and what I've done was a fabulous track, but for the most part this album is mediocre and a disappointment, there are some tracks which are enjoyable but it doesn't have the appeal of their...
Published on 1 Jun 2009 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 11 Aug 2007
Mr. M. Smith "Mik Smith" (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)

More of the same is not what you get. What you get is an album that has to be likened to Green Day's "American Idiot", and My Chemical Romance's "Black Parade". It is possibly not quite the Rock Opera that those two albums are, but it is the defining work of Linkin Park's career so far, just as those two albums have proved to be for their respective artists.

"Hybrid Theory" was born out of the Nu-Metal movement of the late 1990's and early 2000's, and was one of the very finest examples of the genre - It was heavily mixed and produced (some would say overly so), had memorable tracks and was filled with the youthful anger that the movement was associated with. "Meteora" moved away from this sound slightly, encompassing more challenging areas of music whilst still keeping the Nu-Metal psyche at heart with plenty of tracks displaying anger and angst in large measures. "Meteora" displayed a higher level of sophistication in terms of production and variation of musical sound, making it a creditable work, and not falling into the trap of many other contemporaries who attempted to continue with exactly the same sound of the short lived Nu-Metal movement.

"Minutes To Midnight" does still hold true to the bands Nu-Metal roots, but displays a desire to experiment with new sounds and genres. The biggest of these is probably the lower emphasis on the rock/rap style, and the higher prominence of melodic vocals on some of the albums marquee tracks. Vocalist Chester Bennington exhibits, in places, superb vocal skills and has to now be considered as a genuine lead singer as opposed to an angry, shouting, grimmacing "front man" for a Rap/Rock group. The album ebbs and flows very well, and there a very few weak tracks

1 - Wake: a short prelude to the main album, and builds up to track two
2 - Given Up: Listening solely to this, you could be forgiven for thinking this album was made in 2000, and you were watching the track on Kerrang four times an hour. Classic Nu-Metal; a real throw-back to the beginnings of Linkin Park's commercial career. Heavy, angry and well paced
3 - Leave Out All The Rest: Melodic and whistful. Possibly slower paced and more toned down than you would expect from the band, but still a memorable track
4 - Bleed It Out: One of the finest songs on the album. A great beat, excellent guitar riff in the background and superb rapping mixed with a foot-stamping chorus make for a searing mix that works perfectly. Listening back to the track, there a less musical elements involved than most Linkin Park songs, but it comes together superbly. Very high on the list of the best Linkin Park songs
5 - Shadow Of The Day: Probably the best track to exhibit Chester's vocals. With a sound very reminiscent of U2 in places, this ballad-type song lends itself very well to Chester's singing style
6 - What I've Done: One of the best, if not THE best, songs Linkin Park have ever made. A soaring song that reminds me much of "In The End", it typifies everything that this band is now about. Truly stunning
7 - Hands Held High: Like "What I've Done", a song that shows Linkin Park's increasing leanings to politically critical music (much like U2 or Green Day). This track is a slow rap that has a sad, anti-war theme about it. Lyrically very strong
8 - No More Sorrow: More classic Linkin Park. A solid beat with a loud anthemic chorus, and a tune in which the drumming and heavy guitar come to the fore once again. Old School
9 - Valentine's Day: Whilst not the most musically challenging song on the album, or indeed the best lyrically, one of my favourites nonetheless. The song builds slowly to the explosion-like ending. Gets me singing every time, a very strong piece of work
10 - In Between: Mike Shinoda takes vocals for this track, that is probably the weakest on the album. Reminds of "Little James" by Oasis (the first song Liam Gallacher wrote, off "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants"); not a horrendous track by any means, but the movement away from the "norm" hampers this track. Never seems to go anywhere, and doesn't fit the flow of the alcum all that well
11 - In Pieces: A very well produced piece of music. Would not be out of place on Meteora; slower lyrics over a faster paced backing track. Another good vocal performance form Chester
12 - The Little Things Give You Away: Vocally and musically strong. A good way to end the album with an acoustic, melodic sound, sweeping into an elctric ending. Not too dis-similar to the works of Snow Patrol, Embrace or Athlete, whilst still being typically Linkin Park

This album works on every level. "Hybrid Theory" is a very raw piece of music that appeals to people who were teenagers in the late 1990's and early 2000's, and will empathise with the sentiments expressed. "Meteora" kept true to the band's heart but was more refined and musically better, pushing Likin Park into the bracket of what some would call a more creditable act. "Minutes To Midnight" though, excels in every area. It appeals to fans old and new, and can captivate casul listeners. A true work of brilliance from Linkin Park, that has to propel them towards the upper echelons of modern recording artists. One of the best albums of the 21st Century.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total change for Linkin Park, 27 May 2007
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)
As a big fan of Linkin Park, I brought this CD even after reading the bad reviews, I'm very glad I did, it's being played non stop in the car. I have to say it's a far cry from the boys other cd's but it just goes to how they turn their hands to slower more mellow stuff. people do your self a favor, buy and listen to it and your like it.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Time Lucky, 28 Jun 2007
Mr. R. Rodgers "Rik Rodgers" (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)
Well, to be perfectly honest, when I first got this album I was quite disappointed to say the least. I'd totally expected an album that was going to be pretty similar to the first 2, and because it didn't turn out to be as such, it was a total let-down...

However. I have now listened to the album all the way through on a few occasions, and the more I listen to it, the more I like it. I am really surprised with the way this album has grown on me, and I would definately recommend it anyone who likes Linkin Park.

I suppose my expectations of this release were somewhat lowered by the reviews that I had read before I got it and I guess this made me feel like I already knew I was gonna hate it! I'm glad I have persisted though, and this album will be on my most-played list from now on.

Alot of people have grumbled that there isn't enough electronica, not enough classic Mike raps, no Mr Hahn instrumentals and too many Chester ballads on this new album; but the way I see it is that these guys have still created a Masterpiece.

The boys have totally proved that they, as a band, have grown up and evolved - taking their music to new levels, and once you have taken the time to listen, it really is quite impressive. They started as a group with some really powerful nu-metal stuff and have moved to a more emotional, reflective type of style.

All in all, I would suggest that you give this album a try. It may take time, but it is definately worth it. The lyrics are amazing and there are some really catchy tunes: Given Up, Leave Out All The Rest and obviously What I've Done, to name but a few.

Give it some time and you really won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Minutes to Midnight....a progression?, 17 May 2007
Jim (Portsmouth, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)
After initially hearing the album i thought "oh dear"...but the album is definitely a grower. LP have changed their style once again and at first it appears very much a compliance with mainstream music when compared to Hybrid theory & Meteora. However the album still holds the edgy bass-lines with roaring vocals from Chester Bennington yet Mike Shinoda's raps are predominantly missing.

Taking the album independently...it must be considered a giant success musically. The vocals are mainly sung by Chester but Mike's influence on this album is dramatic. Influences from Fort Minor (Shinoda's other band) regarding producing the songs can be clearly heard, especially on "Hands Held High". Mike has also attempted to sing a few chorus lines in place of Chester, which is different but works surprisingly well.

The best song on the album is "What I've Done", and this also shows the general flow of the album. However songs such as "Bleed It Out" are very upbeat and catchy and will be immense when played live. This song is much more reminiscent of Hybrid as it includes an upbeat rap/verse from Mike.

Their are various tracks on the album that are slower and aren't similar to any previous songs as a whole. But an upbeat stance is still adopted by Chester when delivering hard & truthful lyrics at time.

Overall....a brilliant album but...it defiantly doesn't break the same barriers that the Hybrid Theory has, in my opinion. Minutes To Midnight shows a new, mature direction for LP and a clear progression from Meteora can be heard and appreciated. The era of the "End of Days" style of songs is over..but this can only be viewed as positive with such songs as "Leave Out All The Rest" and my personal favorite "Bleed It Out".

4.0 out of 5 stars Change can be good, 21 May 2007
C. Carpenter (Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)
As a big Linkin Park fan from the start, when I first heard this album, I almost had to do a double take. It wasn't exactly the Linkin Park that I knew from the previous two albums, which by all accounts were both blinders.

Here we have been given a very different offering. Chester has decided he wants to do a lot more singing than screaming, though both are still very prominent on this record. Now I have listened to it many times, I've decided the album is indeed a very good one. There are some excellent tracks on here...

The opener (bar the first track which seems to be a whole lot of nothing, which is fine I guess...) Given Up, is a belter. Chester belts out the chorus as loud as ever and will definitely please the purists. We then get a slower song in the form of "Leave out all the rest". It's different, yes, but I think he adapts to the style rather well, and proves his vocal talents go beyond yelling the house down. You then come to "Bleed It Out", and what a good song this is. Mike opens up with a tremendous rap, and with a great singalong (If not somewhat repeated) chorus, it's sure to be up there as a favourite for everyone...

As for the rest of the album, I admit there are 2 or 3 filler tracks, that are not as good as anything off HT or Meteora, but songs like "What I've Done" and my personal favourite "No More Sorrow" keep it in check.

It's different, yes, but they are still here. Just about...

5.0 out of 5 stars Spankin' new album, 14 May 2007
OK, serious stuff first:

A VERY new sound for LP, big gamble, which I personally feel has totally paid off. Their new sound is going to be more widely appreciated and despite the fact that the screaming is pretty much gone, along with the rapping, I think that they'll gain some new fans through the changes they've made. If you're not into mellower sounds then you're probably not gonna like it, and if you're hardcore fans then the new sound will take some getting used to!

Now on a raving fan note:

It's fab, wonderful, I might be a teeny bit biased but so what buy it and love it people!

4.0 out of 5 stars Is this Linkin Park?, 24 Jun 2007
Mr. Darren A. Booy "starydynamo" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)
Was listening to it and kind of forgot what band it was for a second, not like the usual enthralling tracks like papercut, in the end. Sounds more like a university band! thrown together through drunken promises!

Alice in Chains bass lines and vocals without the thunder backing it.

However there are some good tracks (wake Up, little things...) although they sound more like B sides to previous albums. Bed-wetting rock, I am just not skinny enough to listen to this.

Go and listen to Re-animation!

5.0 out of 5 stars Give them a break, 25 July 2007
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)
This album in its own right is amazing. All LP fans will appreciate that with no reflection on their past albums, the songs are unique and innovative. IN the note from the band they explain that they are experimenting with new sounds and instruments. They appreciate music not the trend of the most popular type of music.
Classing this album as emo, is not truly appreciating their talent.
Yes, this is different from Hybrid Theory especially, and meteora but it is still linkin park just with a different twist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grows on you......., 21 May 2007
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)
I must admit that when I first listened to the album, I skipped most tracks as I didn't feel as though I was drawn to them like the songs on HT and Meteora. However I suspected that this would be one of those albums that you have to listen to a few times before you can really get into the songs and so I sat down and listened to all the songs.

Although this album is more mellow and does not have exactly the same kind of sounds that LP started out with, it is a refreshing change. Many fans my be dissapointed with this more softer, commercial sound, however change is not always a bad thing as more people will be likely to pick this album up and listen to it, even if rock/metal is not their genre of choice.

"Bleed it out" is definately my fave song on this album!

Definatly worth listening to, even if it does take you a few days to really enjoy each song and get used to the new sounds.

4.0 out of 5 stars In or out the park...., 22 Aug 2007
This review is from: Minutes To Midnight (Audio CD)
Not sure about the review with the carving knife and packages in the post. Not sure the album or band is that bad!
When linkin park first came on the scene - they were a love hate band. Reminded me of reaction to Placebo. No one seems to be in the middle.
Personally i like linkin park, thought it was something a bit different and admired the ambition and achievement of the band. But agreed with their strongest critics they couldnt churn out another 'nu metal' number. So they hired Rick Rubin and I feel he did the job for them. They sound more mature, more varied and have tried to push themselves with some new things. There are 3 or 4 standout tracks including a 6 min epic to close the album that is very different from any other Linkin Park track. I'm glad the album did relatively well, not the greatest, but by no means a shoddy album - and one that will grow after multiple listens.

Minutes To Midnight
Minutes To Midnight by Linkin Park (Audio CD - 2007)