4.0 out of 5 stars Used With very good results.
I bought a pack of these wondering if in fact they would work.
I can honestly say the product worked perfectly well.
Published on 25 July 2009 by MR R Fothergill

Published 3 months ago by belklin

4.0 out of 5 stars Used With very good results., 25 July 2009
This review is from: Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack (Electronics)
I bought a pack of these wondering if in fact they would work.
I can honestly say the product worked perfectly well.
Make sure you line up the hole for the view finder before slipping over the camera, It's a lot quicker. I used this with a Nikon D300 which is weather sealed according to the manufacture but in the manual said will work in conditions up to 85% humidity) so as a better part of caution I thought something like this would be a good Idea. The only problem is it's best to use with a hand strap rather than a neck strap. My concern of water getting in around the view finder was unfounded and pulling the lens cord and gently securing it behind the lens hood gave good protection with the rest of the controls easily used through the clear plastic. The rain was quite heavy and as other people ducked for shelter I stayed out and continued to shoot. Absolutely no trouble with moisture ingress but do remove as soon after as possible especially on hot days as humidity inside as the temperature rises increases rapidly.
In all I would buy them again simply because they are small, pack easily, easy and quick to put on. Usable with care and with care removing re-usable. Do remember they are really disposable products but as such reasonably robust.

I have now had the chance to use this item a second time during a very hard downpour while photographing the Edinburgh military tattoo. The rain was so hard I got soaked and couldn't actually see what I was shooting through the view finder. I kept one hand inside the cover at all times to use the camera so it wouldn't get wet. At the end I waited for shelter before taking the bag off and putting it away in my camera bag inside a freezer bag because the camera bag was wet inside.I had put more than one silica pack in the camera bag to remove any excess moisture. When back at the holiday let I took the camera out, took the card out and removed the battery. The camera bag was so damp I put it in the tumble dryer. I left the camera out over night with compartment doors left open.
In the morning I hung the rain sleeve up to dry out and its still usable. The camera worked fine and is still working well four months on.
This product is not for everyone and if you are worried about the moisture proofing of your camera I would say don't use it. For those of you with pro or semi pro bodies it is an extra level of protection. One thing if you are worried about water creeping between the lens body and the cover. What I did was to wrap a couple of thick elastic bands on the barrel just behind the lens hood. Then tightened the rain sleeves lens opening just in front trapping it between the bands and the lip of the lens hood. This gave a reasonable 'step' barrier between the rain cover and lens body.( I was using the Nikkor 70-300mm.) Also I would suggest a long flower pot style lens hood to stop rain hitting the front element. In all I am pleased as it gives me loads of confidence to continue shooting in adverse weather conditions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful & good value, 27 Dec 2013
Donal Buckley (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack (Electronics)
Having tried some homemade plastic bag camera cover solutiuons that didn't work, I tried and was pleased with the OpTech Rainsleeves.

They can be fiddley or difficult to line with the hole with the viewfinder so that you can add the viewfinder eyepiece to hold it in place but it does work.

The rainsleeves seem good for multiple uses. I've used one three times so far in heavy rain on an EOS 60D with a 17-70 heavy zoom lens with great rain protection.

Also, unlike a homebrew plastic & elastic band solution, it's possible to focus a lens through the sleeve.

Quite recommended for the many budget photogs who can't afford weather resistant bodies and L glass.

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack (Electronics)
I use mine a lot and don't care for it very well! It has saved my camera & lens many times.

It wont last forever, but that's probably why you get two! I predict one will last me a year. Overall, happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all..., 14 July 2013
S. V. Milford "Sam" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack (Electronics)
Pros: Cheap, lightweight, simple to put on
Cons: If you use it for more than a few minutes at a time then it's liable to get condensation on the inside.

I'm not really sure how they could make this product better for the price... I'll make sure there's always one in my camera bag in case I'm caught short - but use a breathable/sturdier version if you know you're going out in the rain...

2.0 out of 5 stars Good...if you're not using it with a vertical grip on your camera., 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack (Electronics)
This does the job of keeping the water out (well it's a plastic bag with a drawstring on the end) but my main problem with this is that it will not fit a DSLR with a grip attached. I tried using it with a D800 and vertical grip and 80-200mm f2.8 lens and it was a long struggle to get it on without ripping the plastic as it was so tight, let alone trying to fit your hand inside afterwards. I tried it once outside in the rain and it was actually impossible to get it on at all without the camera and the inside of the rainsleeve getting soaked as I just could not get it on quickly enough. Without a grip attached to the camera, it fits fine. Although the sleeve is not wide enough for my purposes, it is however, strangely massively long. In the end, I had to cut the length down with a pair of scissors as it was just getting in the way.

One final note, some people may like that there is an eye hole cut out so that you can screw your eyepiece from your camera over it but I would rather the sleeve was completely sealed without the hole cut out as all I really want is something I can pull out and quickly cover my lens and camera with if you are caught shooting outside in a downpour without having to fiddle about with unscrewing delicate eyepieces from your camera in the wet etc. This might be OK if you're going to put the sleeve on your camera when you're inside your house before going out to shoot...but who actually does that?

5.0 out of 5 stars stay dry, 19 Oct 2010
This review is from: Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack (Electronics)
i do a lot of outdoor photography, and, a lot of great shots are missed when its raining, because of trying to keep our expensive cameras and lenses dry.
i bought the optech rainsleeve through amazon,[at a good price] after reading it in a photo magazine
my first impressions are very good, i was out doing landscapes when it started to pour down, i put the rainsleeve on [easy to attach] and carried on taking pictures, i must admitt at the time i was a bit aprehensive that maybe it would leak somewhere,
no worries everything went well, there are two in a pack, you just have be careful you dont pinch them with your nails and tear them, a good product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a rainy day., 16 May 2013
This review is from: Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack (Electronics)
Bought for an outdoor photographic workshop but the sun shone all day. Not used yet but looks as though it will do the job. To use really you need a hand grip or tripod as a strap does not work without making holes for it which seems not to be a good idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack (Electronics)
excellent used on Skommer Island to photograph the puffins in ever changing weather done the job and easy to fit , this is only polythene bag material but I am still using mine to good effect months later

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy., 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack (Electronics)
The rainsleeve is a great idea, it's certainly a lot better than the polythene bag I used to use. Good quality and large enough to take a camera with an extended lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars OpTech Rainsleeve, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack (Electronics)
Light, cheap, 100% effective. Excellent emergency gear for unexpected weather. I am a repeat purchaser, buy them in batches. Don't leave home without it.

Op/Tech Rainsleeve - Twin Pack