5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade for your ipod
Published on 23 Jan 2008 by P. S. Abreu

1.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, dreadful build quality
After taking delivery of these headphones a few months ago i took them into my office and was immediately impressed by the excellent sound quality. Ive found them comfortable (i wear them for around 4 hours at a time though more would be no problem), great for blocking out ambient noise and generally very impressive sound-wise.

However the other day i noticed...
Published on 21 July 2009 by M. Mattam

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, dreadful build quality, 21 July 2009
M. Mattam (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- White (Electronics)

However the other day i noticed the plastic sheathing close to the earpiece had started to crack on one of the headphones. I am saddened so say that only 1 week after an initial small crack the sheathing has split the whole way round and the earpiece is now only connected by the internal copper wiring. I doubt they will last much longer.

This has only happened to the left earphone since this is the only one i ever use. I must stress i have taken good care of these, they were unpackaged at my desk at work and have never been taken elsewhere. I see no reason for excessive stress on the cable since i bought an extension cable to allow me plenty of slack. The fault comes down to the method by which Shure headphones are worn (with the cable wrapping over the top of the ear), i have no problem with this method comfort-wise but the sheathing material clearly cannot withstand the stress at this point where the bending is greatest.

Granted i have used these headphones for around 5+ hours, 5 days a week for about 3 months but i still feel this rapid degradation of the sheathing is unacceptable, especially at their mid-range price. I will be returning these to Shure

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for noise; OK for music, 6 Jun 2008
will_de_beest (South Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- White (Electronics)
If you travel a lot by air or train, these will be a good buy. I bought mine at a US airport just before flying home to the UK, and the difference compared with the airline freebies I'd suffered on the way out was astonishing. (You'll need an adaptor to connect them to most airliner sound systems - it's not supplied but there's room for it in the neat little oval case the Shures come in.)
I found the rumble of the engines was excluded to the point where I had to listen for it, and I could get happily lost in the dialogue of the two films I watched. By comparison, through the airline phones I lost huge chunks of dialogue in the background din. The Shures also keep your music in your ears and out of other people's: coincidentally, my seat-mate had a similar pair and I detected no sound spillage at all from them.

Travel apart, if you simply want a fine-sounding replacement for your regular iPod headphones, the case is less clear-cut. I've found that the Shures sound good with orchestral and chamber music, and produce a well-defined image - the first piece I played through mine was the Sibelius Violin Concerto, and the solo instrument was very well 'sized' relative to the orchestra. Rougher, more percussive music upsets them, though - a strident guitar chord or cymbal crash can sound truly awful. The same track played through my (much cheaper) Koss Portapro folding phones sounds much fuller and happier - so much so that if I was packing for a long trip, I'd put the Shures in my cabin bag, but have the Koss pair in my suitcase to use once I'd arrived.

A final word on comfort: I was suspicious of the in-ear design but found the Shures remarkably comfortable. The interchangeable ear buds also fit very firmly onto the nozzles - fitted properly, there should be no danger at all of one coming loose and staying in the ear.

1.0 out of 5 stars These will break after a couple of months., 22 Jun 2008
Trust me.

I'm on my second pair in 6 months (first were replaced under warranty) and now this pair has broken in exactly the same way. The cable is thinning near the join of the jack and the sound is crackling and fading from the left earphone. Once is frustrating. Twice is ridiculous.

Shure, your earphones are shoddy. Shame on you.

Do not buy any Shure earphones as I'm not the first and I won't be the last to complain about this problem. Check out other reviews on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade for your ipod, 23 Jan 2008
P. S. Abreu "PSAbreu" (Madeira Island, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- White (Electronics)
I am very pleased with sound quality of this earphone. After my purchase of ipod Classic 160Gb I decided to upgrade the earphones and got a set of Bose triports - altough these were very well build and very confortable to wear (with a nice bass) they played at very low volume on ipod (europe) and the middle/high tones were just "average" - sound was a bit flat and towards the bass. I exchanged them for the Shure Se210 and the difference is very noticeable - now I have to set volume at 2/3, sound is clear and crisp all across the range and with some detail I've never heard, literaly - I'll have to re-rip some CDs at higher bitrates. IMHO, it would make more sense if Shure would build Se210 with a longer cord, you *must* use the supplied extension cord witch make everything heavier and bulkier. As a reference I also tested it against Sennheiser CX300 and the Shure holds the peaks with no distorsion and overall sound quality is superior, but price also makes a big difference.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing lasts forever, 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- White (Electronics)
This is my second pair of Shure Earphones, the Se210 being the upgraded version of the previous pair which I replaced because the lead became damaged along its length somewhere.

Unfortunately, a similar thing has happened to these =( the wiring insulation going into the right earpiece has become detached from the earpiece and I am left with exposed copper wire. I don't expect much more use before the wire now breaks.

How sad I am because I love these earphones! The sound and fit is absolutely perfect for me. I cannot wear the standard earphones because they just fall out. These slip into the ear nicely, the foam expands and there you have it, complete and utter sound perfection. If there was a downside, you cant even hear people talking to you when they're in, but obviously that's the point.

I bought them in February this year and would expect the warranty to cover the problem. I use them 4 times a week in the gym and take VERY good care. If I get two years out of them I'm pleased with that considering the price. I just wish they would last that long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb..., 21 Feb 2008
Barnaby J. Vost "Pixelpusher" (Harwich, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- White (Electronics)
I was given these IEM's (In-Ear-Monitors) by Shure as a replacement for a pair E2C's that required repair. The E2C's were the best I had ever used (the most I had spent also!) and were worth every penny - These IEM's are even better (& although a little more expensive, also worth every penny). Although the bass is slightly reduced the clarity has been improved and the fit-kit has been improved also (the foams especially).

I will say that many people appear to be having difficulty fitting them (& subsequently saying that the sound is poor), and yes they do require a little more effort than standard ear phones, but once you get used to them they will reward you with a rich, full sound that introduces you to noises you never knew were on the songs you've listened to before.

Aside from the product themselves, Shure have displayed the best customer service I have ever come across which has to count for something these days.

Make s(h)ure you're not cheap with your bit-rates though, as you won't get the most out of these outstanding IEM's.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 5 Feb 2010
This review is from: Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- White (Electronics)
First of all, the sound quality of these earphones is fantastic. Once you find the right fit insert for your ear, the bass really shines through. They do a great job of shutting out all external noise, so are perfect for travelling. All of this is let down by the poor build quality. As other reviewers have commented, the wire becomes rigid and brittle and tends to split at the point where you loop it over your ear. I had my first set replaced under warranty, but the second pair has also just split. I also found the rubber housing comes away from the plasic and ended up having to superglue mine to keep the housing together. I expected a lot more from such an expensive set of earphones and is a shame given the great sound quality.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced and poor quality, 18 Nov 2009
This review is from: Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- White (Electronics)
I have had these headphones for about a year and am now looking for replacements as they have broken. The headphones were looked after, always packed away in their case when not in use and were only used on train and plane journeys and at the gym. The sound they produced never warranted the amount i paid for them, my previous sennheisers were half the price of the shures and in my opinion handled my ipod music a lot better. My sennheisers also lasted longer and they were subjected to far worse treatment. My advice - steer well clear and invest your money elsewhere

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed..., 3 Mar 2009
This review is from: Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- White (Electronics)
The sound quality is excellent and well balanced. It may take a while to work out what sleeve suits best and the type that excludes the most noise can be tricky to insert into your ear and not that comfortable for a long period (ie: 14hr flight). The main problem that I have with these 'phones is reliability. In my first pair the driver in the left ear piece gave up the ghost and the replacement pair the cable has gone. It appears intact but inside the plastic sleeve the metal cable must be breaking up as the cable only operates when held in a certain way. This is a bit disappointing in a premium product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality, 21 Jan 2010
J. Page "J Page" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Shure Se210 Sound Isolating Earphones- White (Electronics)
I bought a pair of EC3s some time ago and within a year one of the drivers blew. Fortunately, they were still in warranty so Shure replaced them with a pair of SE210 earphones. The sound quality from these is great and with a proper fit the sound isolation is excellent. Unfortunately, as another reviewer has pointed out, the build quality is very poor. The wire used is not fit for purpose because after 9 months of normal use the wire began to split at the point where it wraps around the back of the ear. Within a week the second cable split in exactly the same position. I contacted Shure customer service who pointed out that the warranty period was based on the first pair that I bought so I didn't qualify for a replacement. I did point out that the warranty wasn't an issue because under the sales of goods act these earphones were inherently faulty due to the cabling problem (which, if you Google it, is a common problem). They weren't having any of it so I have resorted to fixing them with insulating tape. Not what you would expect from a "high end" pair of earphones. These are my second pair of Shure headphones and neither pair lasted more than a year. Save your money and buy something that will last.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›