5.0 out of 5 stars Magical!
This is a lovely opera recording. Mackerras and his forces are very well caught by the recording team and the Philharmonia provide great warmth and nobilty when required (the Angel Pantomime conclusion of Act II is very notable) as they do in the lighter and more delicate sections (children's dance in Act I and the Sandman and Dew Fairy in Acts II and III)...
Published on 14 Dec 2008 by Colin Fortune

3.0 out of 5 stars Rewarded perseverence
Published on 1 July 2012 by Max10million

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical!, 14 Dec 2008
Colin Fortune (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Humperdinck: Hansel and Gretel, Opera in English (Audio CD)

The use of an English libretto actually heightens the grisly nature of the fate awaiting the children at the hands of the witch - with much talk of cooking of meat before they are turned into magical gingerbread. Also the ignorance and heartlessness of the Mother is highlighted - and we should not forget that in the original fairy tale the parents tried very hard to dump the children. So this is a more "realistic" experience for English speakers than hearing it in German. It works well, but I would not want just this version as the work is also very lovely in its original language.

4.0 out of 5 stars Joyous Melodies, 20 Aug 2011
maximus (manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This must be one of the all round most accessible Operas. The composer's palette is rich and ideas wide ranging. The recording here is excellent because the English translation works very well. It does almost sound as if it was the original language of the libretto (which was actually in German).

The entire plot and musical performance flows exactly as it should, I mean it feels absolutely spot on. The only gripe is that the voices of the singers playing the parts of Hansel and Gretel are not distinct enough from each other, so they do sometime sound they were performed by the same lady. I would have preferred to hear a deeper voiced mezzo-soprano singing Hansel to set the character apart aurally within this recording.

Other than that, buy it play it enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hansel and Gretel, 1 Feb 2009
Mrs. S. Lamble (Chester U.K.) - See all my reviews
I first saw this many years ago at the Phil. In Liverpool and it has never lost it's charm for me. This version is in English and so easy to follow the story if heard for the first time.

This particular C.D. is lovely to listen to and I am sure it will appeal to many people.

5.0 out of 5 stars a magic account, 6 Mar 2014
Mackerras presides over a magical performance, beautifully,vividly, dramatically sung and superbly played. It is also treated to vividly beautiful sound engineering. Don't hesitate, sit back and let the enchantment work!

3.0 out of 5 stars Rewarded perseverence, 1 July 2012
Having long been a bit of a secret Engelbert fan, and with my curiosity renewed by his sad Eurovision experience, I was looking to add to my extensive CD collection. My friend George recommended this CD so I took the plunge. I have to say first that it's a little "different". Engelbert doesn't sing all the time and when he does it doesn't sound that much like him. George said this was from his early experimental period, before he sold out to the man. I didn't really understand, but I don't want George to think I'm stupid, so I just nodded and kept listening. And slowly I came to enjoy some of the songs and to respect the diversity of a man that can deliver both this complex heartfelt music and an unrivalled modern ballad. It's no Eurovision but I say vive le difference!

Humperdinck: Hansel and Gretel, Opera in English
Humperdinck: Hansel and Gretel, Opera in English by Jennifer Larmore (Audio CD - 2007)