VINE VOICEon 11 September 2008
This series starts really well, with a genuinely chilling incident of a young woman who suddenly disappears after buying some flowers from a van by the side of the road--leaving behind her children who also vanish. It's really gripping, nail-biting stuff, as we're led into the family of the woman--her husband, parents, friends and contacts. Then the little boy turns up--and later there's another bombshell. You are really wound up by this time wondering what on earth lies behind it all--
but alas, the solution to the mystery falls rather flat--it did to me, anyway--and it feels rather too lame as well. But then, perhaps this was meant not so much to be a mystery(though the build up certainly suggests that) as the portrait of a family in utter crisis, in the midst of the worst situation you can imagine.
It was certainly enjoyable and well-acted and very well-produced--but I can't give it 5 stars.
22 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2008
This is a well-made entertaining show. Starts out with much promise but kind of runs out of steam. The character development is excellent but it is at the expense of the plot, which all but evaporates after about the third episode. Great performances pity the storyline couldn't match up.
on 2 January 2014
As always the BBC produces another quality product. Its a great story, with an interesting plot and has a beginning, middle and END which a lot of series seem to leave out these days. Worth the buy
on 23 February 2008
I really enjoyed this - the casting is brilliant with Penelope Wilton, Sarah Smart, Rory Kinnear all great - though Janet McTeer steals the show as the wise-carcking 40 something sargeant who's seen it all before.

A few quibbles - the reason for the title is a bit misleading, as it actually takes place on 5 days over 12 weeks - also, the ending seems a bit contrived and very rushed - 4 x 50 minute episodes then rushed conclusion in last 5 mins of episode leaving you realing with no explanation
on 19 March 2013
Very good series... The BBc are very good at these.. It was brilliantly acted and photographed Gripping not like Bourne identity, but in a more story-telling and character.
on 23 August 2013
We love this, so much so that we watched it all in one evening. Great thriller that has you hooked from the start. You wont be disapointed with this.
on 21 January 2013
Great storyline, keeps one interested all the way. I would definitely recommend to all Be on the lookout for more
on 7 April 2013
Hello;

Hugh Bonneville is a fine performance.
Extremely well thought out plot.
The characters where excellently developed.
The raw human emotion came through.
on 27 October 2012
I bought these dvd's because I am a fan of Patrick Malahide. Wow..I am so happy that I did. Patrick was marvellous as John, as was the rest of the cast in their various roles. I Wonder why I missed the series when it was broadcast? A quality production which kept me watching from the begining to the end of both dvd's.
on 30 January 2009
I love tv detective dramas. This is a really good one. It didn't fall into the cliche traps & the characters were 3 dimensional. It was my favourite tv drama series of 2008.