4.0 out of 5 stars WORTHWHILE UPDATE
At first glance this looks like a re-release of the 2004 compilation THE WHO: THEN AND NOW 1964-2004, but look a little closer and you will see a slightly different track listing and also a wonderfully imaginative new title:- THE WHO: THEN AND NOW 1964-2007. (!)

Published on 11 Jun 2007 by STU H.

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic
It brings lots of memories when I was a young boy with lots of desire, dreams and passion still got all three
Published 18 months ago by Braveheart 001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars WORTHWHILE UPDATE, 11 Jun 2007
STU H. (Beverley, East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)

The main difference this time is the inclusion of BABA O'RILEY, my favourite WHO song and a baffling omission from the earlier compilation. It's as powerful as ever, featuring the most impassioned vocal that Daltrey ever committed to vinyl. A true enduring classic.

The main point of interest for diehard WHO fans last time around was the inclusion of two "new" songs, the first new WHO recordings in donkeys years. Whilst OLD RED WINE was as stale as its' title might suggest, the other track REAL GOOD LOOKING BOY was excellent, and has wisely been retained for the new compilation (whilst OLD RED WINE has quietly been poured down the sink).

Bringing the new compilation further up to date is the inclusion of IT'S NOT ENOUGH from the bands 2006 album ENDLESS WIRE. A strange choice, in my opinion, as MIKE POST THEME or (better still) WE GOT A HIT would have been far more appropriate.

Apart from these minor quibbles, though, this is an excellent CD full of wonderful, timeless rock music. And at less than a tenner it represents ludicrously good value for money. Buy it and love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul H, 4 May 2010
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
Really pleasing CD. I've got a lot of the material on vinyl but wanted a CD. Looking at the playlist I thought that I would just play the first part of it, but the whole thing is nicely balanced going chronologically through the Who career. I just listen to it from start to finish. The old analogue recordings have been nicely remastered bringing out parts of the recordings that I hadn't previously noticed. Even my 22 year old daughter likes it and our musical taste doesn't line up very often.

I would recommend this recording to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Care What They Say - You Can't Whack The Who!, 2 Jun 2014
Mark Syder (Prescot, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
With apologies to John Sullivan (for those of you who don't know, the title of this review comes from an episode of Only Fools and Horses).

Highlights? Everything except Squeeze Box. Over the years I've learnt to tolerate this song by concentrating on the music and trying to ignore the "seaside dirty postcard" lyrics - even Pete Townshend described it as "a poorly-aimed dirty joke"!

The disc covers every era of The Who from their earliest recordings until 2004 (two new tracks recorded specifically for this disc).

I have three minor gripes:

1. I already had everything on this CD in my collection with the obvious exception of the two new tracks. I had to buy the CD to keep my collection complete. I waited till it came down in price - I would have felt well and truly ripped off if I had paid full price for the sake of two new songs.

2. It's Hard is generally overlooked when people discuss The Who. It may not be one of The Who's best albums but there are some good songs on it and I would have thought it possible to find one to grace this collection (Athena would have been my suggestion, but they didn't ask me!).

3. No John Entwistle songs. Admittedly, Pete Townshend has written the vast majority of songs recorded by The Who, but surely they could have found room for one of John's songs. My suggestion would be Trick of the Light from Who Are You.

The two new songs - Real Good Looking Boy and Old Red Wine - are well and truly worthy of inclusion. Despite my three gripes, the quality of music on this disc is such that I can't possibly justify anything less than five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, 18 May 2014
Riftzoner (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
No duff tracks, no stuffing, no extra guff, just the best of best songs. okay, there maybe one or two omissions but there's nothing worse than getting an album full of hundreds of tracks with all best known ones all over the place. Not fun! Bang this into the car CD player & I guarantee that one, you'll not stop singing along to every track & two, you'll be left wondering where the miles went! :0)

4.0 out of 5 stars The who, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
I'd owned this before so I knew what I was getting. One of the tracks jumps, but I didn't mind too much as it was quite cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
Its a great CD for anyone who likes the WHO from the old to the young or anyone who has never hurd them before

4.0 out of 5 stars Magic Bus, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
As a Hobby DJ I have to keep my music selection relevant, wide spread of styles and it has to be quality production. This Album has many popularly requested tracks and others which are useful for any DJ or Anybody with a taste for this style of music. I didn't get the who when I was younger, I do get them now, great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars my heros, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
brilliant liked them when I was in my teens now a nannie and still like them. they used to destroy their kit which was cool

5.0 out of 5 stars you wont regret adding this to your collection, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: Then And Now (MP3 Download)
great album, great band, forgot how good these boys were, so glad i decided to buy at a great price deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing the now stuff, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Then And Now (MP3 Download)
Cracking songs from the past 30-40 years but according the cover there's suppoesed to be some new tracks which I didn't get in the download. Still for 3.99 I can't grumble.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Then And Now
Then And Now by The Who (Audio CD - 2007)