4.0 out of 5 stars WORTHWHILE UPDATE
At first glance this looks like a re-release of the 2004 compilation THE WHO: THEN AND NOW 1964-2004, but look a little closer and you will see a slightly different track listing and also a wonderfully imaginative new title:- THE WHO: THEN AND NOW 1964-2007. (!)

Published on 11 Jun. 2007 by STU H.

1.0 out of 5 stars So bland !
This remastered rubbish sounds nothing like the ones I remembered. Since when did Roger Daltrey have a smooth, note perfect voice ?The whole point of their music was the rough edges.
Published on 29 Oct. 2012 by Michael Mccusker

4.0 out of 5 stars WORTHWHILE UPDATE, 11 Jun. 2007
STU H. (Beverley, East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)

The main difference this time is the inclusion of BABA O'RILEY, my favourite WHO song and a baffling omission from the earlier compilation. It's as powerful as ever, featuring the most impassioned vocal that Daltrey ever committed to vinyl. A true enduring classic.

The main point of interest for diehard WHO fans last time around was the inclusion of two "new" songs, the first new WHO recordings in donkeys years. Whilst OLD RED WINE was as stale as its' title might suggest, the other track REAL GOOD LOOKING BOY was excellent, and has wisely been retained for the new compilation (whilst OLD RED WINE has quietly been poured down the sink).

Bringing the new compilation further up to date is the inclusion of IT'S NOT ENOUGH from the bands 2006 album ENDLESS WIRE. A strange choice, in my opinion, as MIKE POST THEME or (better still) WE GOT A HIT would have been far more appropriate.

Apart from these minor quibbles, though, this is an excellent CD full of wonderful, timeless rock music. And at less than a tenner it represents ludicrously good value for money. Buy it and love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Care What They Say - You Can't Whack The Who!, 2 Jun. 2014
Mark Syder (Prescot, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
With apologies to John Sullivan (for those of you who don't know, the title of this review comes from an episode of Only Fools and Horses).

Highlights? Everything except Squeeze Box. Over the years I've learnt to tolerate this song by concentrating on the music and trying to ignore the "seaside dirty postcard" lyrics - even Pete Townshend described it as "a poorly-aimed dirty joke"!

The disc covers every era of The Who from their earliest recordings until 2004 (two new tracks recorded specifically for this disc).

I have three minor gripes:

1. I already had everything on this CD in my collection with the obvious exception of the two new tracks. I had to buy the CD to keep my collection complete. I waited till it came down in price - I would have felt well and truly ripped off if I had paid full price for the sake of two new songs.

2. It's Hard is generally overlooked when people discuss The Who. It may not be one of The Who's best albums but there are some good songs on it and I would have thought it possible to find one to grace this collection (Athena would have been my suggestion, but they didn't ask me!).

3. No John Entwistle songs. Admittedly, Pete Townshend has written the vast majority of songs recorded by The Who, but surely they could have found room for one of John's songs. My suggestion would be Trick of the Light from Who Are You.

The two new songs - Real Good Looking Boy and Old Red Wine - are well and truly worthy of inclusion. Despite my three gripes, the quality of music on this disc is such that I can't possibly justify anything less than five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paul H, 4 May 2010
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
Really pleasing CD. I've got a lot of the material on vinyl but wanted a CD. Looking at the playlist I thought that I would just play the first part of it, but the whole thing is nicely balanced going chronologically through the Who career. I just listen to it from start to finish. The old analogue recordings have been nicely remastered bringing out parts of the recordings that I hadn't previously noticed. Even my 22 year old daughter likes it and our musical taste doesn't line up very often.

I would recommend this recording to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magic Bus, 19 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
As a Hobby DJ I have to keep my music selection relevant, wide spread of styles and it has to be quality production. This Album has many popularly requested tracks and others which are useful for any DJ or Anybody with a taste for this style of music. I didn't get the who when I was younger, I do get them now, great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
I had only ever heard of The Who, and had never really heard their music. Then while watching the television the other week, i heard their song Baba O'Riley and I was hooked to them. Their entire album is brilliant, and considering they are a band I never grew up with, as I was born after their 'time' I think they're ace! The album is packed full of great tunes, and it's definitely an album everyone should own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, 18 May 2014
Riftzoner (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
No duff tracks, no stuffing, no extra guff, just the best of best songs. okay, there maybe one or two omissions but there's nothing worse than getting an album full of hundreds of tracks with all best known ones all over the place. Not fun! Bang this into the car CD player & I guarantee that one, you'll not stop singing along to every track & two, you'll be left wondering where the miles went! :0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
This is the first used CD I've bought and I couldn't be more pleased. It arrived within a couple of days of me placing my order and was just as described. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy a used CD when I next look to make a purchase and as for the music what can I say other than its certainly taken me back to "My Generation" and even my teenage son likes it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have collection, 15 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
YES INDEEDY, a must collection of the WHO's finest tracks, for all you nippers new to the Who, when you listen to this you will go out and buy ALL their albums. This has to be THE best "greatest hits" collections by anyone, the highlight being for me the full version of "Wont get fooled", pure class, this album has now become my all time No1 album

4.0 out of 5 stars A re-hash but a good one, 4 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
For me, the inclusion of Who Are You and the Tommy regulars, makes it a worthwhile purchase. Add in Real Good Looking Boy and it becomes an absolute gem. As for the Who, a blend of talents that has likely never been repeated and epic songwriting from the axe-man, well.....what's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 25 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Then And Now (Audio CD)
I had been meaning to buy this for ages, and now I've finally got a "Round Tuit". The classics opened the floodgates to all my memories of my misspent youth and the newer songs showed how the band has not gone stale but improved like a old bottle of Merlot. Keep rocking Lads!

Then And Now
Then And Now by The Who (Audio CD - 2007)
Click for more info