5.0 out of 5 stars cracking video card at the price, 25 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Xpertvision 256MB GeForce 8600GT TV/2XDVI PCI-E (Accessory)
It plays my favourites Far Cry and Half Life 2 at around 50 frames per second, at the high graphics settings in 1024x768 (the only resolution on my monitor that gives me eye friendly 75hz flicker free refresh rate). And I get between 25 and 80 frames per second on flight simulator 2004 at the highest possible settins with anti-aliasing and weather effects. For the price, the card is an absolute bargain. I've seen inferior cards sold on here not much cheaper.

Oh, and a nice surprise (not mentioned on the product details) you get a free game - Tomb Raider: Anniversary, which is a high resolution remake of the original 1996 game. The final icing on the cake.

I can't say how the card copes with monster games like 'supreme commander' and 'crysis' because I don't own them, but read online reviews if in doubt. I think you'd probably get 30 frames per second if you are willing to compromise a little with the graphics settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Card-Good Price, 23 Nov. 2007
Bought this card for a new Dell PC. After weighing up the card options on offer( A very poor Nvidea 8300 or a very expensive Nvidea 8800) I decided to save myself £30 and go with the integrated graphics route, then find something a bit more powerful in my price range.

This card was by far the best price/performance compromise. Firstly it uses the 8600 chip which is twice the power of the 8500 and about the same price, but half the cost of the 8800. Next it supports DX10 so should be future proof.

The card comes with a DVI-VGA adaptor in case your monitor is not equiped with DVI connector, a copy of Tomb Raider anniversery edition and a SPDIF connector.

Installation was a breeze. The card went in very easily, and started first time. I haven't had much chance to push it but everything seems good.

Pity the price has gone up £10 since I bought it however...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good graphics card for small gaming use, 23 Feb. 2009
Got this graphics card just to run my computer i'm building. My old pc died on me so i needed a new one fast so i went with this graphics card just to get it running.

its very good does what i need to do and also plays games (ie sims 2) very well! and i also have it on dual-screen.
i'm glad i got this and at this price a very good buy!
it has a good rating on Windows Vista Index Rating system.
Graphics = 5.9
Gaming graphics = 5.5
if you want a graphics card to do normal and abit of gaming.. I would say for you to go with this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but it takes up two slots, 1 Dec. 2007
When it comes to graphics cards I am stuck in the dark ages - I am still struggling my way through X-Com 2 from the mid-nineties - so don't expect anything too technical from this review.

I don't seem to have passed on my frugal gene to number one son. He has a 32" flat screen TV which he can also use as a PC monitor. He also has a PC which has onboard video, an Nvidia chip that was fine for running Vista and Office applications but he was griping about how slow Command & Conquer: Tiberium Wars was running.

So, I shopped around for a graphics card and came across this one which, at the time, Amazon had available for £47. It was certainly an upgrade on the onboard video and considerably cheaper than comparable 8600GT cards, so I bought it.

When it arrived, the first thing I noticed was the big fat fan which meant that the card actually takes up two expansion slots.

I installed the card, tried it out on the CRT monitor on my workbench in the garage using the VGA to DVI connector provided, and it worked fine, right out of the box.

So, I lugged the PC upstairs and plugged it into the aforementioned flat screen telly using the single-link DVI lead that worked fine with the onboard video. No signal.

Cue lots of swearing.

Lugged it back downstairs to try it out again on the CRT monitor, just to make sure I hadn't somehow broken the card while connecting it, and it worked fine.

Confused, I did a bit of research on the web and eventually it dawned on me that this card needs a dual link lead to work. I duly purchased one, after which it worked fine, as did C&C: Tiberium Wars.

Vista score went up from 2.7 to 4.5 so I am very happy with the purchase. It has shut number one son up for now, at least.