Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 9 February 2011
I ordered the GlobleSat BU-353 and it arrived the next day.It was well packed.
Had a quick read, told to put drivers in first, so i put the disk in and clicked on install drivers, 30 seconds later drivers were in. I then checked the comport settings in device manager and put them as per instructions. Fired up my mapping prog and spent a long time getting the program to work with it.( I did not have the position sentence set to RMC IN THE PROG)
Finally got it working. THE RECEIVER IS BRILLIANT IT WORKS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GROUND FLOOR FLAT WITH TWO STOREYS ABOVE. After installing it on my laptop I installed it on my net book, it took a total of 4 minutes to install and get the mapping prog to work. The unit is quite light on power as it runs on the low power side of my USB ports. I am very pleased with it and would recommend it to any one.
on 10 October 2010
A simple device to use. Just install the driver, plug it in, find the COM port it was allocated, assign that and it works. Immediately connected to my chart software with no problems (Software on Board). Looks like it will be an excellent backup to my fixed GPS.
on 16 May 2011
Plugged it in, downloaded drivers for Windows 7 from the website and away it went! No problem.

My laptop loses the connection if it goes into sleep mode, but I guess that it a simple limitation on the USB connection.

Otherwise this is remarkably sensitive - it can be used within the cabin of a sailing boat and will track perfectly week without having to be placed outside. It works well with OpenCPN navigation.
on 1 July 2013
I purchased this GPS receiver to attach to my laptop which has marine software loaded onto it and then to use the laptop as a chart plotter for marine navigation purposes. It provides a very accurate position (more accurate than the two Garmin units I have on my boat - checked by taking bearings whilst sat on mooring) and thus gives lots of confidence when navigating narrow channels. It's a great buy and I would recommend it to anyone. I steered clear of the later model because of the US software and my intended use is UK/ European waters. I would have given this product 5 stars if they had included some instructions with it, the software CD took some time to get to grips with.
on 10 February 2011
Just perfect. Despite the instructions and on-line guidance I still struggled to install at first, so this is how to do it. Install drivers from CD - just click on "drivers", Win 7 will do the rest. Then find the Comm port on your computer and change the baud rate to 4800. The supplied GPS test utility on the CD didn't want to work for me but the one downloaded from the manufacturer's website "support" section worked fine, and there is extra guidance for Win 7 there too. The GPS receiver instantly locked on to satellites and gave the right location, although my desk seemed to be traveling at up to one knot at times.
Very easy to connect to a navigation package too - just Comm port and baud rate to set to match the GPS and it was away, showing my location instantly.
But the strong magnet is worrying - must keep my credit card and ship's compass well away from it.
Otherwise, just perfect. Highly recommended.
on 30 December 2009
Picks up a signal and holds it quicker than my Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.With "GpsGate" software seems to work on Navigation Chart Software with no problems. Used this software and hadn't the need to load the driver that's supplied with the GPS. Brilliant for marine use.
on 18 July 2010
Excellent device. Worked first time out of the box (simulates a COM Port after the driver software is installed). Very fast Satellite detection. Fully sealed/waterproofed with a reasonably long USB cable. One side is magnetised to allow easy attachement although it also comes with a small platic sucker device.
on 17 March 2014
I bought this to use with a Samsung NC10 netbook and a marine navigation package. The product was easy to set up using the supplied sofware (including on disc User Guide). I found the simulation software particularly useful. First time locking on to satellites took several minutes, but subsequently it's almost instantaneous. Certainly as quick as the PC fires up.

Reception is good even with the unit below deck. Mine is fixed to the hull side by the chart table.

I was a bit worried about the strength of the magnetic mount and its possible effect on the steering compass. However with a vetricl separation of about 0.5 metre and a horizontal selection of about 1.2 metres I cant detect any impact on the compass reading. Still it would be nice to have an optional magnetic mount rather than a built in one.
on 14 January 2010
Globesat BU-353 works brilliantly in my laptop with Anquet OS 1:50k whole GB digital map software. It's great to know exactly where you are on such detailed maps when driving, shown by a small orange circle.And the map automatically moves as you travel. But you either have to stop or have a co-driver to be safe, as there are no voice instructions as in Tom tom etc. It was easy to set up and worked first time after a scan identified the correct COMM port. A netbook would be more convenient than a laptop.
on 29 December 2013
Bought one back in April '13 and cannot rate highly enough. Incredibly fast activation and lock on, even if not used for weeks and then taken somewhere else before switching on, which usually throws most GPS receivers for a few seconds.
Very simple to link to my Memory Map software.
Highly recommended