4.0 out of 5 stars Not top of the range, but nevertheless very useful.
Published on 18 Aug 2008 by Jonny Cowper

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, to be honest.
The clarity of light from the LED is good, but the power is poor.
I bought it because I wanted a wind up as a back up in emergencies, so it ticks my most important box.
Published on 15 Jan 2010 by Monkey (Misc)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not top of the range, but nevertheless very useful., 18 Aug 2008
This review is from: Draper 40407 3 LED Wind-up Head Lamp (DIY & Tools)
When you need mobile light and your hands free it makes sense to use a head torch. What attracted me to this product is the fact that it is powered by a wind-up generator (not pictured). This means that you never have to worry about flat batteries. The robust generator is a little larger than matchbox size and is connected to the lamp by a wire which has 2 connectors which appear to be the same but in fact fitted better one way than the other. Threading the wire up the back of your shirt will stop the wire getting caught if you put the generator in your back pocket.
If the wire comes out and the unit is disconnected the lamp will continue to work though it will not be bright. The lap itself has 3 white LEDs. You can set it to use 1 LED or all 3. The lamp can be angled to shine into the distance ahead of you or down to just in front of your nose. I used this torch for doing DIY in the loft space, but I'm sure it will prove useful on a camping trip too. I haven't timed how long the charge lasted but it was sufficient for what I needed - around 30 minutes at a time, but the brightness did fade. I guess I just go used to it. It would be improved by the addition of an adjustable lens to be able to focus the light. Very good though for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for money, 11 April 2009
D. Duncan "DD" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 40407 3 LED Wind-up Head Lamp (DIY & Tools)
I purchased one of these for my boyfriend who's a builder and who loves the fact he can remain hands free. When his one was stolen because he raved about it so much, when I replaced his, I also brought one for myself. They are great as you never have to rely on batteries, you just wind it up so you never have to worry about the battery running out just when you need it. The light is very good and I tend to use it most for changing light bulbs and when rummaging around in dark nooks and crannies. A great price and highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value For Money., 26 Jan 2009
Christopher W. Brierley - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Draper 40407 3 LED Wind-up Head Lamp (DIY & Tools)
I bought a couple of these as they were available at an attractive price.They make fine gifts for teenagers who like caving and walking at night.The torch consists of a 3 LED unit mounted on elastic that you fit on your head.This plugs into a long wire connected to the charger unit that you can keep in your pocket,so you can give it a wind without taking the unit off your head.The lamp can be clicked into several different positions so the beam can be pointed exactly where you want.The sequence of the switch is 1 LED/OFF/3 LED/OFF.It obviously lasts a lot longer on the 1 LED position.On one winding of a few minutes it was still as bright after over 4 hours on the 3 LED option.For its size and price the beam is quite bright enough for caves and night walking and is much brighter that the similarly priced Unicom wind up head torch(see my review),but only about half as bright as the more expensive Silverpoint Ozone iv(see my review),which remains my favourite head torch and the only one I use.CB

5.0 out of 5 stars best quality in the low end price range..., 29 Aug 2009
Mr. D. A. Spens "at the centre of the earth t... (Where ever I lay my vast hat collection!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 40407 3 LED Wind-up Head Lamp (DIY & Tools)
I bought two of the most positivly reviewed low budget LED headlamps, this one 'Draper 40407 3 LED' and the more expensive 'Silverpoint Ozone 4 Wind Up Head Torch'...

This one is by far the better despite being cheaper...

The wind up generator is small and compleately detatches to fit in a pocket, whereas the Silverpoints generator is big (larger than a cigerette packet) heavy and does not detach so must be worn whilst in use which is uncomfortable and unwieldy.

The brightness of the two torches are roughly the same and more than adequate for any circumstance. I did have my doubts as wind up torches I've had in the past, Dynamo and Gerlert were poor.

The battery life, one minute crank to 20minutes light is technically true but the light does dim quite quickly and does need a re-crank to get up to full brightness, this is the only aspect where I would rate the Silverpoint higher as it did stay at full brightness slightly longer.

The only added feature the more expensive Silverpoint has is that it can be charged fully (for 9hours light) via USB cable on your computer, this to me seems ludicrous as the torch is wind up, so why would you need to 'charge it up' this maybe why you have to keep the huge cumbersome generator attached to the back of your head as it contains the battery.

So in conclusion buy this torch! Its the best, out of the best two in this price range, good quality and value for money!

DomX

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommended, 4 April 2009
This review is from: Draper 40407 3 LED Wind-up Head Lamp (DIY & Tools)
I bought this head light to use on the boat where there are many dark and not easily accessible places. I have to say that I am very impressed with it and it does the job very well. On 3 LED lights it gives ample brightness and sits comfortably on my head. When I first received it, I wound it for about 30 secs and have used it several times without having to wind it again.
Thoroughly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, to be honest., 15 Jan 2010
The clarity of light from the LED is good, but the power is poor.
It has a wind up box on a cable, which although doesn't need to be connected, is a little cumbersome to apply and to have in your back pack. The lamp is also a bit bigger and heavier than most people would probably like.
If, unlike me, you wern't bent on getting a wind up, I'd suggest a more compact battery powered one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 30 Mar 2011
This review is from: Draper 40407 3 LED Wind-up Head Lamp (DIY & Tools)
+++You'll never run out of batteries...economical and ecological...a winner!
+Comfortable fit
+Excellent for reading in bed...stopped partner moaning!
+ easy to use

-maybe not for serious campers because it's not that bright? Dunno?!? Could be wrong...check other reviews
- light concentrated in central beam with dimmer concentric circles round outside

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Head Lamp Tested!!!!, 10 Mar 2010
P. Copper - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 40407 3 LED Wind-up Head Lamp (DIY & Tools)
I was a little dubious about the claims but bought this product anyway. Infact I bought two. They are flamin brilliant. Never needing batteries and the charge lasts ages!!! The illumination from the LED's is outstanding. Don't fuss about the other more expensive products. get this one.. or two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Draper 40407 three LED windup head lamp, 2 Oct 2009
D. Wong "Wongduk" (UK) - See all my reviews
Good product,

you have a separate wind-up mechanism, which attaches via a cable to your head led, once you wind it up you can unplug the wind-up mechanism and use the head torch.
it is fairly bright, not the brightest on the market, but nether the less very handy.
press the button once you get 1 led, press it again you get 3 led, press it again and it switches off. to be frank I didn't notice much difference in the brightness.
very handy when you need two hands to do something in the dark.
plus save on batteries and more environment friendly. however you do need to carry around the wind-up mechanism.
Draper 40407 - 3 Led Wind-Up Head Lamp

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 1 Feb 2009
D. Ryan (midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 40407 3 LED Wind-up Head Lamp (DIY & Tools)
great little gadget, works as and when you need it and no need to worry about the batteries running out.

Draper 40407 3 LED Wind-up Head Lamp