5.0 out of 5 stars True Bon Jovi Fans...This Album Rocks in Every Way!!!
Published on 6 July 2007 by Drew Lynn

2.0 out of 5 stars Am i wrong to expect better from these Rock Gods???
Published on 4 Oct 2007 by Taffy317

5.0 out of 5 stars True Bon Jovi Fans...This Album Rocks in Every Way!!!, 6 July 2007
Drew Lynn "Drew" (Santa Rosa, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
I have been faithfully listening to Bon Jovi since their first album was released well over twenty years ago. I've always considered Jovi as one of the finest storytellers of our time and also one of the best ballad writers as well...so country music was no so far fetched for the Jersey boys, since country music is primarily both elements. I was very happy to see the band's success with the country cross-over single "Who Says You can't Go Home" but a little hesitant about Bon Jovi releases a full album of country music. As a dedicated fan, I will always buy their album the day it comes out. I purchased LOST HIGHWAY from Target to get the bonus songs available on the disc...and this is the version of Jovi's new album to purchase!

Before the purchase of LOST HIGHWAY, I always ranked Keep the Faith and These Days as their finest albums. Now, I consider LOST HIGHWAY and These Days as their best albums to date. The new album is not just country, it's an amazing mix of Rock and country together that blend to make one incredible sound. I have been listening to their new album since the day it was released and have not been able to stop listening to it since.

Song Listing:

LOST HIGHWAY: This song was a great choice as the first song on the album. It has a care-free spirit about it and kicks the album off with a great feel. I have listened to this song many times and find myself mysteriously drawn back to it on a daily basis. A very relaxing song to listen to!!!
RATING: 4/5

SUMMERTIME: If you want a song to rock to while driving down the road with the windows down...look no further! This one has a classic rock feel to it with a little bit more of the carefree spirit. A great reminiscent number that took me back to the better times spent with friends. Not much of a country feel to this one at all!!!
RATING: 4/5

YOU WANT TO (MAKE A MEMORY): Of course you've probably heard this song all over country radio and on the CMT video countdown. It seems to continue climbing to the top and shows no signs of slowing down. This song is another great ballad from Jovi that only proves just how amazing the band is when it comes to writing about emotions and relationships.
RATING: 4/5

WHOLE LOT OF LEAVIN': The acoustic guitar in this song is brilliant! Richie Sambora seems to radiate emotion from his guitar without ever having to speak a word. This song is another picture painted about relationships and the lack thereof. A very easy song on the ears that I have grown to love.
RATING: 4/5

WE GOT IT GOING ON: I didn't care for this song much the first few times I listened to it. The lyrics are lacking depth and don't really fit in with the four songs before it, but I don't think the song was ever intended to be very deep or meaningful...Just a whole lotta fun!! With a little help from Big and Rich, the song is country music that has a definite rock sound as well. While the lyrics are lacking, the tune of the song is wonderfully hard to resist. I always turn the volume all the way up for this one!!! Richie Sambora's guitar solo give the song all the boost it needs to be great. This one will more than likely be heard all over country radio!
RATING:3/5

ANY OTHER DAY: Wow!! This song is probably one of my favorite Bon Jovi songs ever written! It must be the next single from LOST HIGHWAY no matter what! It rocks and rocks and rocks. This song feels like classic Jovi and will be a major hit! Richie's two guitar solo's are what makes him one of the best guitarists out there.
RATING: 5/5

SEAT NEXT TO YOU: another compelling ballad that tells a beautiful story of love. The lyrics are amazing and kept me hooked all the way through. I hope this song is released as well. Another winner!!
RATING: 5/5

EVERYBODY'S BROKEN: a good song all together but not one of my favorites on the album. It is a good song for the album and fits well with the feel of the rest of the songs but won't be heard from past that.
RATING: 3/5

TIL WE AIN'T STRANGERS ANYMORE: Wow! This song will definitely be all over the radio! Another flawless ballad that cannot be matched lyrically or musically. Leanne Rimes was a perfect choice for this song. It's about as country as Jovi has gotten and proves that the transition was a great choice. I love this one!!
RATING: 5/5

LAST NIGHT: another good fit for the album with the other songs but probably not a radio hit. I truly enjoy listening to this song and won't grow tired of it any time soon but it isn't one of the best songs on the album.
RATING:4/5

ONE STEP CLOSER: I really enjoy this song for many reasons. It's easy to listen to and has some great lyrics. It doesn't feel very country to me but I'm just one fan.
RATING: 4/5

I LOVE THIS TOWN: not sure what the band was thinking with this one. Probably one of my least favorite songs on the album. It seems like an attempt at country but doesn't really sound much like any genre that I've heard. It does, however, have some good lyrics. You decide on this song!
RATING: 2/5

BONUS TRACK:
WALK LIKE A MAN: This song should have definitely been put on the new album. It says one time "It's my life" so it may have been taken off the record for this reason...a dumb reason to take off a song that has 'hit song' written all over!! This is one of the best songs I've heard in years from Bon Jovi..another masterpiece that will never be heard. A perfect song lyrically that defines great storytelling!
RATING: 5/5

As a dedicated Bon Jovi fanatic, I highly recommend LOST HIGHWAY to everyone...country and rock fans!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi Lost Highway, 4 Oct 2010
Lost Highway is an album with a good mixture of harder and slower songs. Musically, I think the band was trying to achieve a different style of song writing. Something they have done very well. The single "Lost Highway" is great and I like "I love this town" as it sounds more cheerful. An interesting all round album. Should have something for everybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jovi's got it goin on!, 12 Jun 2007
Mr. S. D. Richardson "stephen9495" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
This album is what happens when the quintesential American band dabble in the most American form of music, country. Bon Jovi have always been obsessed with cowboy imagery and have finally got to the point in their career where they are able to make the images a reality. For the first time since These Days the band are not trying to fit in with current musical trends and they are playing to their two main strengths - Superb songwriting and excellent musicianship. This is probably the best amalgamation of the solo styles of Jon and Richie that they've managed so far. Jon is allowed to explore the themes and ideas he started with Destination Anywhere while being elevated to a higher plain by Richie's rootsier contributions. The results are probably the most accurate account of what Bon Jovi is about since the career high of These Days.

The overall mood of the album is more reflective (understandable given the situations some of the band members are living through at the moment) and as a result the songs are very powerful without simply being legions of distorted guitars. There has been more thought put into individual parts than is evident on other recent albums and this contributes to the depth and quality of experience. The guitar solos are back too! Richie is an outstanding guitarist and has a wonderfully expressive style which he allows out to play here. Really adds to the albums worth. Also, We got it going on features a Peter Frampton-scaring talkbox solo which makes you want to jump around with joy. The only niggle is the fact that David Bryan's keyboards remain criminally underused. He is such a massive part of their live sound and it makes little sense why he appears almost redundant on recordings.

This is just a well written, well played expose of everyday life, love and loss. But isn't that what every Bon Jovi cd has been about.

Bon Jovi have definitely still got it going on and for uplifting, heartfelt music of the highest order buy this cd now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Am i wrong to expect better from these Rock Gods???, 4 Oct 2007
Taffy317 (Hastings, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
As a huge Jovi fan, I was always going to buy this album despite what the reviews said about it (because lets face it, the critics dont exactly love Bon Jovi) however im afraid to admit this time the critics got it right. The album sounds lazy, almost like Jon, Richie & Co rushed it. There are a few stand out tracks on the album such as "Make A Memory", "We Got It Going on" & "I Love This Town" but the rest i doubt i will ever bother listing to again. Im sure though when they release thier next studio album it will be back to business and less country infulenced!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album! Well worth buying!, 20 Dec 2007
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
I love this album! There's not a single song on this album that I don't like - I enjoy them all. My favourite tracks are:

1. Lost Highway: Great track - I saw it on telly being performed at the Royal Variety Show and came straight onto Amazon!(see You Tube)

2. Summertime: Starts with a really cool beat similar to Queen's "We will rock you". Very upbeat and uplifting. I can't help myself dancing to this one!

3. (You want to) make a memory: A great ballad. Heard it first on You Tube.

5. We got it going on: I absolutely have to get up and dance when this one is playing! Would love to hear it live.

6. Any other day: An excellent track that will surely appeal to the pop/rock market. I agree with the guy above that this must surely be their next single.

9. Till we ain't strangers anymore: Wow! A very beautiful & intimate duet with Leann Rimes. (See You Tube - a very intimate music video)

12. I love this town: A very cool song! I disagree with the guy who says it has no international appeal. I'm from South Africa and I love this song - makes me long for my home town. Any homesick South Africans, Aussies, Kiwis etc. will love this song!

I think this album is great value for money because it's not like the albums where you have to skip over some of the naf tracks - I enjoy every song and think this album has a very wide appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get It Now!, 4 Jun 2007
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
Lost Highway- Nice lyrics it has to be said. The beat is constantly driving, like, well driving! The texture is great with the sliding fiddle and banjo. Bon Jovi-branded Plastic Dashboard Jesuses anyone?! However, the solo is too short, but I like the bridge. All in all not adventurous enough. Solid, though not spectacular opener. There is some nice although faint guitar work in the mix in the outro. Will be a great driving song. 7/10

Summertime- This one nicely attacks us, bringing over some aggressiveness from HAND. Some great drumming once again. Feels very much like summer, however the Who Says You Can't Go Home guitar riff is blatantly reused, although in a slightly different way to the original. 7/10

(You Want To) Make A Memory- Fantastic keyboard work. Simple but very effective. Percussion is also solid again. Harmonies between Jon and Richie are amazing. There's a constant heartbeat underpinning the whole thing, a combination of bass and percussion. Amazing build up and climax. Ending is much better than the original fadeout we heard. Richie in the outro... woo! Repetitive lyrics. 9/10

Whole Lot Of Leaving- I have not faulted the percussion up to this point and I'm not about to start by any means. Great lyrics again. Nice distortion guitar work. Nice solo into bridge once again! There's a lot of soul been poured into this one, it is obvious on listening. Effective melody variation in the last chorus. A very strong album track, although could not see it standing as a single alone, this is not much criticism. 9/10

We Got It Going On- Is there anybody out there looking for a party? We are! We have not had a good playabout Bon Jovi song since Captain Crash, but this one is astounding. The talkbox feels more natural, more like the live sound, far less sampled than in previous albums. Great fill. Love everybody! Gorgeous meaty lengthy talkbox solo. Big & Rich are not overused but nicely complement the song. I think this is the first time Richie and Jon have referred to themselves by name in the lyrics! Nice outro once again. Will be a truly stonking live act. 10/10

Any Other Day- Has to absolutely be the next single. Lyrics, beat, rhythm, guitar work, percussion, keyboard, absolutely EVERYTHING IS PERFECT. You will love this guitar solo. Richie is here and he's letting you know it! The two quarter-note slams on the distortion after 'me and you...' electrify me. Bridge is amazing once again. Did I say the solo was amazing? There's TWO SOLOS! AND THIS SECOND ONE IS LIKE NOTHING YOU HAVE HEARD ON ANY 2000s BON JOVI RECORD! Your hair will stand on end! The fade out comes way too soon... we are left hungry for more, and for a proper ending. Can't wait to hear the ending live. It has to be 11/10

Seat Next To You- Sounds very much like a Jon Bon Jovi solo record, like on Destination Anywhere. The percussion and the lyrics are sweet and make you want to go aww :) Unfortunately, it is not spectacular, there isn't much guitar, and including a female backing singer (LeAnn?) sounds a bit of a cobbled together way to make it sound different. 7/10

Everybody's Broken- I think this will be a great driving song too... this for some reason reminds me of driving into the sunset. I love the bridges. Percussion once again spot on. Melody in the chorus is heartwarming. Little guitar once again, but is a solid album track. But I can't see it being good live. 7/10

Til We Ain't Strangers Anymore- So we have the first Bon Jovi song featuring another artist on the main album. The harmonies are admittedly fantastic, and it does a good job of painting a bedroom scene. Nice guitar solo and background work too. Some of the lyrics really work but some are dross 'Make love with me baby til we ain't strangers anymore' as the last main lyric does not ring true with me. And I always see fadeouts as a copout of a real ending. 7/10

The Last Night- Sounds a lot like I Am off Have A Nice Day. No guitar solo. Kind of mediocre really, although the melody is nice in places. Not adventurous. Repetitive. Overall however it does have a good thick texture, and a nice structure. Won't be good live. 7/10

One Step Closer- Immediately strikes me that this will be good live. Towards the end of the main set perhaps. Beautiful sweet lyrics and keyboard work. Warm harmonies. Great placement of the bridge. Nice last 4 bars. Redeems the back half of this album. 9/10

I Love This Town- This song has little international appeal. Strongly US-centric I feel, very twangy. However, it has to be said that this song features all of the band members nicely and so is a good way to round off the album. I hope this doesn't take up space on the set of non-US live shows or get released as a single though; strictly an album track in my opinion. As I have said already, strong guitar (including solo), percussion spot on again, keyboards nicely complement the texture. Warming backing vocals. Great ending + guitar... woo! :D 8/10

Overall- Left step on this occasion comes up trumps for the band. I put this on an equal footing with Have A Nice Day, musically as competent but lighter. Special mention must be made of Any Other Day. Without a doubt the best track on the album and one you will want to play over and over again. Back half could have been better although not quite slipping into the same mediocrity that plagued Crush and Bounce, and the front half is very strong indeed. I will say it once again. ANY OTHER DAY! Next single! Please! Now!

Overall rating- 17/20

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost Highway or lost their way?, 4 Jun 2007
M. Simper "musicalspanner" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
I'm slightly confused as to how any Bon Jovi fan can give this 5 stars! The second half of the album is so average. The first half is good, not great, but good. 'Any Other Day' is a great song, whilst 'Lost Highway', 'Whole Lot of Leaving' and the very cheesy (but so much fun!) 'We got it Going On' all have the energy and big choruses that made Bon Jovi great. Yes, there are slide guitars and country influences but they're not massive and serve to make Lost Highway a bit different. Fear not this isn't Bon Jovi does Dolly Parton!

The second half really is dull though. The songs hardly ever break a sweat tempo wise and there are some truly dreadful ballads ('Til we Ain't Strangers' and 'Seat Next to You'). The end of the album is crammed with deep and meaningless mid-tempo workouts that say not much in an unintersting fashion. Yawn! 'I Love this Town' just about does enough to stop the album ending with a whimper, but patience is required to get there without turning the album off.

An album of two halves. Just about worth the money, but you'll be getting 'Keep the Faith' off of the shelf in no time when you're done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Lost in the music, 11 Jan 2008
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
I really like this album, it's better than Have a Nice Day by far. From the start to finish it's a album that will have you singing along. Some of the songs do take a few listens to get into them but in general this album will knock your socks off the first time you hear it.

The stand out tracks for me are:

Lost Highway - has me singing along basking in the glory of the lyrics.

Summertime - again a good song to sing along too.

You wanna make a memory - a good little slow heart felt song from the jovi.

We've got it going on - for me personally this is the highlight of the whole album. It will have you singing along punching your fist in the air and even playing air guitar. It's amazing!!

I love this town - great song, easy to sing along to and something that gets you clapping along.

It is a quality album which can be listened to from start to finish. Lyrically sound with some great lyrics running through it depicting their troubles of the year previous to recording the album. It's emotionally charged and full of amazing guitar riffs.

Don't miss out on this album, you won't regret buying it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bon Jovi are back doing what they do best, 12 Jun 2007
R. Cliffe (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
This is a truly fantastic album. It is a while since Jon and the boys have produced something of this quality. If you read the other reviews you may be feeling a little unsure about the album, but let me tell you how it is.

I've been a Jovi fan since 1985 and have had the pleasure of seeing them 13 times, from little arena's, all the way to the massive stadiums. I have everything they have ever released either as a band or as solo artists, official and unofficial, live and studio, so I feel somewhat qualified to pass on a decent review.

This is 2007 guys! Slippery and New Jersey are long gone and so are the times and era they were released in. It's so difficult to compare an album from now to an album from then. The beauty of Bon Jovi has been their ability to change and adapt to the times. They haven't always hit the nail on the head, but if they'd have stood still they'd be on the scrap heap of long gone rock bands like so many others. Lost Highway is a splendid album full of powerful, meaningful songs just like all of Jovi's albums are, but Prayer and Bad Name they ain't and for that I am thankful. It has more songs that make the hair on my neck stand on end than any album for a while. It is strong, well produced, has tremendous sound quality and to me it is simply what Bon Jovi are all about. The guest artists add another dimension to the album and Leann Rimes singing with Jon is pure class. The first 4 songs are brilliant - good old Bon Jovi stuff and the majority of the rest are just as good. The lyrics as always from Jon and Richie are superb and give the tracks 'meaning' and you can relate to them - that's what I mean about doing what they do best. Jon sings your life for you. Of course there's always the odd song or 2 that you'll skip past to get to a better one, but that's about all you'll skip on Lost Highway.

I was awaiting this album with a little bit of nerves. Waiting and wondering could they really still do it? Could Jon pull something out of the hat other than a 'run of the mill' album. Let me tell you that he certainly has. If you want to hear a masterpiece of song writing and delivery then you must but this album. If you want to live in the 80's and 90's (and great years they were), then buy Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, Keep The Faith etc... etc...

You will be tapping your feet, feeling the pain, living the song, thinking 'this is about me' and all the time smiling to yourself because you're listening to another brilliant Bon Jovi album.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a relief !! Not country at all., 7 July 2007
C. A. Poustie (Pakret, Nonthaburi Thailand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Highway (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of Bon Jovi since before Slippery came out. Saw them on the Slippery tour. Have bought every album since, with diminishing enthusiasm. I love 70's classic rock. So what was I to make of this so-called "Country" album ?

I hate country music and I pretty much hate "Have a Nice Day", "Crush" and most of "Bounce", not because Bon Jovi lost their talent, but the direction was all wrong and seeminly manufactured. The decline started with "It's My Life" in my book - just a concocted slab of trying to be hip.

The box set on the other hand was fabulous, full of little gems of songwriting genius that still proved the band had it. I had to scratch my head and wonder why so many of the great recent songs on the box set had not made the recent studio albums.

Well, I plugged the CD into the car stereo, not really expecting much other than to be massively disapointed. But hey ! What a great opener, Lost Highway is classic Bon Jovi, by which I don't mean late-80's rock, it's just good time, good message, great vibe, rock'n'roll !

After that, each and every song on the album was for the most part, enjoyable and not a single country song in sight.

My god, what a relief. This album is NOT COUNTRY.

I love the album "Blaze of Glory" and don't recall anybody describing that as a country album. This is, in some ways, a similar style of music. It's americana if you like, but certainly not country, twangy and depressing.

It's definitely not Slippery When Wet, but when was the last time you listened to that album anyway ? It's a great album for today, and I believe truely reflects everything good about this band, without rehashing old ideas, or trying to be the latest trend. This is real music, and really good music.

Not quite a 5-star effort, but miles better than I had hoped for.

Recommended. Best since "These Days" !!

Lost Highway
Lost Highway by Bon Jovi (Audio CD - 2007)