Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 March 2008
Secret City records has always been a much loved label of mine but due to my lack of musical existance in everything around me over the last few months going on years this cd by Montreals Miracle Fortress has been collecting dust on one of my shelves since the end of last year.Decided that it was time for Five Roses to be given the time of day it deserves and man it was refreshing.
Miracle fortress is the Multi talented Graham Van Pelt,a vocalist who on Five Roses has delivered an absolutely beautiful album full of hidden gems that will take you everywhere.
From the My Bloody Valentine esq opening of "Whirrs" to the catchy up tempo pounding of "Have you seen in your dreams" it takes you on an escalator ride that refuses to let you hop off and escape the thrill of what is abound..."Maybe Lately" is mid to late period Beach Boys and wouldnt be out of place on the Friends LP.Its an album that very much reminds me of bands like the Beach Boys but also people like My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive.
Its a very beautiful and atmospheric piece of music which should be heard by many a person.Fantastic...
on 16 October 2008
This is one of the best albums I have got in the last couple of years. It sounds great on headphones, and the tunes are heartbreakingly beautiful. A lot of bands get comapred to the Beach Boys, and they have harmonies but not really great melodies. This album has both! The production is very rich and dense, and the vocal layers are gorgeous. I bought this over a year ago and I am still playing it every couple of weeks. If you like Animal Collective, Atlas Sound, Beach Boys, Mercury Rev, you will love this LP. I really cannot recommend it highly enough!
on 4 May 2010
The hairs on the back of my neck are huge fans of this little beauty. Some reviewers are comparing this to the Beach Boys and Animal Collective - and I can see why. I own records by all three but would put Miracle Fortress streets ahead of both. Far better tunes, superior guitar work and no harmonies for the sake of harmonies. I cannot for the life of me understand why these guys aren't more popular. Maybe people were put off by the camp cover art! Great record - buy it in time for sunny summer drives down the country - magic stuff.
on 10 August 2008
The other reviews here are 100% correct. Sublime, fantastic is absolutely right. This is a brilliant new band with Beatly and psychedelic flavors that will appeal to all fans of Nada Surf, Neil Finn, Death Cab for Cutie, Clearlake, Winterpills, Guster, Ambulance Ltd, Posies, Earlimart, Terrene, Youth Group, Beatles, Beach Boys(!). Canada, what a country!! Let's hear more from this excellent band as soon as possible!! Oh and it is very recommended that you buy this asap for instant and long lasting exhilaration!
on 1 January 2008
I bought this on the basis of a review and love it. It's the guitars and swirling vocals.

Took me weeks to work out they were Canadian

Very worth trying and couldn't understand why they haven't been picked up more
on 23 September 2014