on 6 December 2009
This a great iron. I've owned one for just over a year and didn't realise how good it was until I broke it and had to go back to an old Rowenta I had in the cupboard. The Philips GC4410 finally died (regularly tripping the RCD) after numerous drops off the ironing board; an event that seemed to happen all too often in the one bedroom flat I was in, but until then it was excellent!

It gets hot enough for jeans at 2400W and has sufficient steam (100g steam shot) to smooth them out. It has the Double Active Calc-Clean (de-scaling) on a separate button, which means you don't accidentally end up dumping scale deposits on your clothes when you turn up the steam (some irons have the de-calc bit at the top end of the steam lever). It weighs just over 1.3kg empty and 1.6kg full, so it's not the lightest, but personally I prefer an iron with some weight (to help the process along!) This of course means it holds around 300ml of water, which is a good size to avoid constant re-filling. It has steam outlets right at the tip too. Note: you refill this iron hot-plate down or at least tilted well forwarded, not on it's base plate, if that bothers you.

I liked this iron so much I looked it up on Amazon to get an exact replacement, but actually plumped for the next model up (GC4641); I hope it's half as good. I know it's just an iron, but nobody really enjoys doing it, so why not make it easier with a really good iron.
11 comment|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 2013
I was asked to buy an iron for work as we have a lot of linen to iron, it gets very creased so we wanted a good one, after reading most of the 300 reviews on this iron [which were good] i purchased this one, i have to say all those reviews were correct as it is an excellent iron, its quite heavy which is good and just seems to glide through the creases.
VINE VOICEon 22 December 2012
Purchasing an iron is something you only do a few times in your life, and I haven't done so for 20 years. So when my current iron expired in spectacular fashion, it was time to purchase a new one. I chose this one after a fair bit of research. The reviews for the Philips Azur range were mostly very positive, and I was able to find this model with a substantial discount on the high street. Compared to my old iron, my main observations are that it's incredibly smooth to use, and the steam function is very controllable. The water tank is very large, which means I can do an hour's ironing without having to refill. There are no drips, which is great, and it has a very pointed tip, ideal for shirts. The only negative I have is that I find it heavier than I'm used to, but this is probably a feature of the amount of water it can hold. All in all, hugely recommended. Shop around for a good price.
on 6 March 2014
I'm chuffed to have it! At last I don't avoid ironing and enjoy the process .) Before I had an awful downmarket one and ironing was an issue for me. This is not the case with Philips, it does the job brilliantly, it's not too light, it's beautifully designed, has a long cord and never leaked (so far)! I'm a happy customer and would definitely recommended it to anyone!
on 20 January 2014
Looks good! I find this iron awkward to fill and because of the dense blue colour it is very difficult to see when it's full.
Of course it takes time to get used to a new iron but at the moment I am struggling with the temperature controls. It does seem to operate rather "hot".
on 9 March 2014
This iron is by far the best, the different settings to accommodate for the type of material is great, it's a good size and not really that heavy. You can see when the water is full and it does what it says. I also like the cord it's one of those ones that doesn't go all twisted.. It's the little things that make it enjoyable to use-my partners shirts have never been so crisp!
on 10 October 2013
Irons really well but almost impossible to see through blue plastic section to see how much water is in the tank.
on 9 December 2013
Best iron I have had and I have been ironing for over 50 years. Yes, it is hard to see the water level max unless you hold iron up to the light but this is certainly not a deterrance
on 19 February 2014
Let's face it no-one usually likes ironing. However this iron makes ironing a pleasure for my wife. She hasn't said that, but she must do because she's always doing it.

In all seriousness, with three daughters going through laundry like a catwalk show, we do need a good iron. The Philips Azure doesn't disappoint. An easy glide motion with a crisp finish.

Doesn't drip water and heats really quickly. Probably the best iron we've owned.
on 23 January 2014
What a wonderful steam iron not to heavy and glides over your clothes like a dream brilliant steam output for getting all those stubborn creases out well done Phillips.