If you are a Bob Lind fan you may well already own the 1993 CD "Best of" compilation which covered much of the same material as this CD from Ace. I have owned the earlier CD for many years so rather disregarded this one, on release, because of the similarity of material included - it wasn't until I actually heard this CD recently that I realised I needed it too...
Published on 13 Mar 2011 by James B. Spink

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great songs here - well worth a listen
Published on 20 July 2007 by Tim Edmonds

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great songs here - well worth a listen, 20 July 2007
Tim Edmonds "tim427" (Minehead) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Elusive Butterfly: the Complete 1966 Jack Nitzsche Sessions (Audio CD)
In terms of the UK charts Bob Lind's flowering was brief but memorable. "Elusive Butterfly" is a great song and Lind's best-known chart appearance stands out as one of the highlights of 1966, with its soaring strings and poignant delivery. Alas its success was diluted by a cover from Val Doonican, but both made the UK top five. The follow-up "Remember the Rain" was a lesser hit, and the only other UK single I recall from the time was "San Francisco Woman" before Lind seemed to disappear.
His brief commercial success as a recording artist was due to a great extent to his partnership with producer Jack Nitzsche, whose influence comes through on every track here. The orchestrations, based on strings, strumming guitars and gentle percussion, never overpower the songs - Spector this isn't - and complement the vocals perfectly. The thing that stands out here from the singing is the absolute clarity of diction so that every word can be heard and the listener can fully appreciate the imagery of the songs.
This CD contains both Lind's LPs (which include all the singles) plus three bonus tracks - two demos and an unedited version of one track. There are two types of songs - the gentle poetic ones and those which are more social comment or 'stories'. Some are a little bland and a few sound rather dated, but the best are great and stand up well today - in addition to "Elusive Butterfly" several others will be known through their cover versions, including "Mr Zero" (Keith Relf) and "Cheryl's Goin' Home" (Adam Faith and Cher). This is a welcome release, well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive Bob Lind collection - and with Ace's sound quality!, 13 Mar 2011
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If you are a Bob Lind fan you may well already own the 1993 CD "Best of" compilation which covered much of the same material as this CD from Ace. I have owned the earlier CD for many years so rather disregarded this one, on release, because of the similarity of material included - it wasn't until I actually heard this CD recently that I realised I needed it too!

Both CDs contain Bob's two albums plus three bonus tracks - it is only the bonus tracks that differ across the discs. The 1993 "Best of" featured a longer, unedited version of the track I Can't Walk Roads of Anger which was mixed by Ron Furmanek especially for that CD release. Ace have chosen to use the original, edited, album version of the track in its correct sequence - but have included the longer version as a bonus track. Ace also include two rare demo tracks, taken from acetates, to complete their release - the 1993 bonus tracks were a single from 1967 and two previously unreleased tracks. Ace have only included material in which Jack Nitzsche was involved.

It is the sound quality that gives the Ace release the edge over the earlier one, which is not to say the earlier CD sounded bad - it didn't - it's just that this one from Ace is as good as the material is ever going to sound! Tony Rounce explains in the notes that Ace was able to locate the original, first generation master-tape for the album "Don't Be Concerned", but not for "Photographs of Feeling". The master for that album deteriorated by shedding oxide and a back-up was made in 1972 - it is that second generation tape that has been used here, but still sounds really good.

I am pleased to have both CDs in my collection, but will probably only ever play this one from Ace in the future. If you are a Bob Lind fan with the earlier CD already you would still be pleased to own this one too; if you don't have any Bob Lind CDs then get this one - it meets Ace's very high standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars welcome back, 22 Jan 2008
Rodney Collins (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
When I was working as News Editor of Record Mirror, a lady called Vivienne Holgate sent me both the vinyl albums (now combined onto this CD) to review for the music paper. Liberty Records were in London's Albermarle Street then and they had big plans for Bob Lind, seeing him as a rival to Dylan. Sadly it wasnt to be - and listening to this CD it's hard to see why Bob Lind didnt get more hits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I expected, 3 Mar 2012
KC (nottingham UK) - See all my reviews
I knew/hoped it would be good, but I hadn't expected it to be this good.

Looking at what other reviewers have said, I have to echo some of their comments. I do like Elusive Butterfly, although I can understand why it can be a turn off. I hadn't really heard any of Lind's other material apart from that and I was very surprised at the high standard of everything else; this man is definitely not a one-hit wonder. When I received this CD and first played it, I let it run all the way through in one session. I was so gob-smacked, I couldn't believe it could continue to be so good, track after track. Jack Nitzsche's arrangments are perfect for the songs, and most of the songs are near perfect anyway.

Now I've heard it, I'm disappointed that various other artists have gained bigger success and public awareness with lesser material. Bob Lind should be regarded on a much level than he has been so far - there's still time for him to get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will not harm you, 14 Mar 2008
Tony Floyd "Travis Pickle" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Bob Lind, if he is remembered at all these days, is known for one song, Elusive Butterfly. And if you're in the UK, it's probably not even Lind's version that you'll know but the cover version by Val Cardigan. However Elusive Butterfly is not all there is to the story. As is often the case, there is an an interesting back catalogue awaiting discovery barely hinted at by the one hit wonder status. It's also fair to say that, again as in the majority of such cases, the rest of the output contains far more enjoyable tracks than that one well-known tune. This is certainly true of Mr Lind, whose first two albums are herewith presented as one lovely CD package, and which show he should not be judged solely on the basis of the Elusive flying insect song.

Tracks 1 to 12 were originally released as his first LP `Don't Be Concerned', and they are easily the strongest songs here. Bypassing the hit with which we are all familiar (and the frankly rubbish track The World is B Movie) that leaves 10 other mainly excellent songs in a similar but somehow less cloying vein. As noted by another reviewer, you may know some of these songs from cover versions, especially if you are a regular purchaser of 60s music on CD. In addition to those alluded to elsewhere I would also mention Drifter's Sunrise, a Rambling Man type song, which was covered by The Gants in a lovely David Gates arrangement. Bob Lind's original version is great too and is one of my favourite's here. Along with Truly Julie's Blues, Dale Anne, Cheryl's Goin' Home, It Wasn't Just The Morning, I Can't Walk Roads of Anger, and well, all of them really.

The next 10 tracks come from the follow up album `Photographs of Feeling'. Although the arrangements are pretty much the same style as the first album, the songs are not so consistently good. I'd say that only a couple really stand out as being of the same quality, the rest tending to merge together into a bit of a whiney dirge.

To top things off there are three bonus tracks; a longer unedited version of I Can't Walk Roads of Anger from the first album and a couple of previously unissued demos of pleasant enough songs.

As an example of the sensibility of our singer songwriter friend, take a look at that title: I Can't Walk Roads of Anger. The message being that everyone else may respond to frustration and disappointment with anger and rage but our peace loving folkie is far too sensitive to stoop to such uncivilised behaviour. We are are boorish but he is a poet, he doesn't do `anger'. In fact, he "ain't got the time". Yes it's po-faced pomposity you can hum along to. Upbeat it ain't, but if mournful woebegone sad-sack songsmithery is your bag then these tunes should have you drifting off in wistful nostalgic yearning, perhaps making you imagine you're sitting on a bean bag in some loft apartment at 3 in the morning at the fag end of some long ago 60s party.

Though the songs themselvers are not consistently of the same quality throughout, sonically they are all of a piece, with the same feel and ambience throughout, thanks to the beautiful understated production and arrangement skills of Jack Nitzsche. Regardless of the dip in writing quality evident in the tracks from the second album, because this is an Ace records release there is also the usual excellent booklet with loads of photos and background information which help justify a 5-star rating. Even if you don't care for the Butterfly song, which I don't, but you do like lugubrious 60s folk-rock of the wordy sensistive maudlin self-pitying variety, which I do, then I would recommend this as a purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bob Who?, 17 April 2012
Alex (no relation) (MAIDSTONE, england) - See all my reviews
The comments below were originally applied to "Best of Bob Lind" (currently unavailable, but containing the same 25 tracks apart from the last 3, which were different selections) in 2002, when I suspect it was much cheaper than the current £11.

"OK, it's only a review of the first half, 'cos I was one of the 10 people who bought "Don't Be Concerned" 35 years ago. Best known for Val Doonican's "Elusive Butterfly" (although the writer's version got to no. 5 in the UK charts), Lind was (is?) a songwriter of many styles who included in his inconsistent output at least one breathtakingly beautiful song : Mister Zero, a tale of wasted love. Other standouts include "The World is Just a B Movie", a wry self-appraisal ("the only thing that's worrying me, is the boredom of changing from A7 to D"), "Cheryl's Goin' Home", an Apocalyptic farewell, which was later covered by such luminaries as Otway & Barrett, and "Butterfly" itself, a clear influence on The Verve. I'm going to buy this CD - I just wonder if it's aged as well as I have. And that old vinyl copy? I gave it to a girl called Cheryl..."

I did buy the CD, but the second half contains no tracks to match those mentioned above, so my 3 star rating proved predictive. Sob story: ironically, in 2011 I was diagnosed with a genetic coronary disease and now have an ICD fitted. Since then I have acquired myalgia and a Baker's cyst. Maybe Bob's music has aged better than me after all.