5.0 out of 5 stars OLD FASHIONED AND PRACTICAL
I bought this a few weeks ago and I loved it. It is perfect for cooking everything, from meats and fish to omelettes and pancakes. Also as it can be used in the oven it is amazing for upside-down cakes, pies, and corn breads.

Published on 3 May 2011 by Eleni

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value, great cooking results. (See edit)
*** Edit 1 year later ***

Unfortunately my love affair with cast iron took a blow, when this pan for it seems no reason at all, cracked straight through the middle. It's been well treated and had built up a wonderful natural non-stick coating, so a shame really. Cant's complain really given the price, but I've now upgraded to a heavier construction Lodge pan...
Published on 26 July 2012 by Nathan

5.0 out of 5 stars OLD FASHIONED AND PRACTICAL, 3 May 2011
Eleni - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Deluxe Cast Iron 24cm Round Plain Grill Pan (Kitchen & Home)

However, if the instructions are not properly followed, things can go wrong. First of all, it needs seasoning for better results. This process has to be repeated two or three times at first, and then whenever necessary depending on how you use it. Although, I loved using this pan, I have to admit that the seasoning process takes some time and the kitchen smells really bad for a couple of hours. When properly seasoned the pan forms a non stick surface, but it is best if you only turn food after each side is sufficiently seared so it will not stick. It is very unlikely that this pan will rust, however you must be careful not to leave it in water.

Also, I can see that some reviewers had a problem with the fact that it is very heavy and it gets really hot. Indeed it is heavy and it gets extremely hot, but that is to be expected as it is a cast iron pan. If you don't want a heavy pan (about 3 kg) don't buy this one. I know I am stating the obvious, but it is not a good idea to hang this pan on the wall, drop it on your feet, or hold it with bare hands when cooking.

I have been using it for weeks on an electric hob and oven with great results. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top value for money, 23 Oct. 2008
Mr. R. Kimberley (Tamworth,UK) - See all my reviews
This is my most important cooking utensil. I bought it to avoid harmful non-stick coatings. I use it for frying, making pancakes, heating food with virtually no oil.

As its heavy I tend to lift food out of it with wooden spatulas. Or use an oven glove on the hot handle.

Seldom seen in shops I would highly recommend this pan, and do not see the need to buy coated cast iron pans.

Cleans easily. I just wipe mine with a dry kichen paper towel or use very hot water.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value but rough finish, 19 Dec. 2011
I bought this pan as I love cast iron. It is healthy, durable and it heats evenly. The Kitchen Craft Cast Iron Pan has it all for an incredibly cheap price. This comes with a small cost however, the finish is quite rough and the pan is not seasoned at all. Of course, those issues are easily fixed if you have the time but do not expect to cook in that pan out of the box. You will have to sand the pan to remove the small bits of metal coming out of there and there and then season it several times with oil or lard in a 250 degrees Celsius oven.

In short, a very good value if you are handy. If not, I would recommend you to go for a pre-seasoned cast iron to save you the trouble.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product but does need looking after, 21 Jun. 2013
I think other reviews describe the product well enough so will just give an experiential review. I've been using the pan for several months now.

I'd done a lot of reading on cast iron frying pans, and settled for setting it up by first sanding the inside. For that I used a circular drill attachment since they tend not to overdo the sanding process. I didn't sand down smooth, just removed some of the surface roughness. I then washed (and made sure it was dried well afterwards) before seasoning. For that I used olive oil coated all over the inside, followed by 20 minutes in a hot oven. I repeated that 3 more times.

I then started using it. As other reviewers have stated, it isn't instantly non-stick, and I still find that for frying eggs some oil helps a lot. Firstly, as the instructions state, I turn the hob ring (ceramic hob incidentally) up high and leave to heat up for a minute or two. When fully heated you WILL need an oven glove. I always use a small amount of oil, although rather more for eggs.

The results are excellent. I've found that eggs cook through without having to splash oil over them to 'set' the top and still have nice runny yolks. If, like me, you have pancake loving kids, this pan is a dream. I was never able to keep a constant stream of pancakes to my two, but now I'm just about producing pancakes faster than they can eat them. The only downside (from their point of view) is that I had to give up tossing them as it doesn't seem to work somehow. Also, I don't use extra oil or butter (I use Delia's mix recipe which incorporates melted butter) and they don't stick.

As stated, for general use (frying sausages, frying off sliced chorizo ...) I do use a little oil but really very little and have had good results with little sticking. I also use for omelettes, but I've always made them with a knob of butter in the pan anyway.

Following other Internet advice, when finished I wipe the pan with kitchen roll and if dry, smear a very thin coat of oil over the inside. I will then put the pan on the slowly cooling hob to help the seasoning process (I guess if you use gas you'd probably need to turn it on again). I don't wash the pan on the principle that by getting it so hot, both before, during and after cooking, anything that wiping doesn't remove gets burnt to death.

Overall, I was getting fed up with the limited life of 'non-stick' pans. It always seemed such a waste to throw away an otherwise perfectly serviceable implement. I don't see myself ever having that problem with this little cast iron fellow.

Thoroughly recommended. I only dropped a star because it is a little more work than an ordinary pan although once you get used to it, it's probably not much more time than washing up anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once properly seasoned, it's perfect, 8 Nov. 2012
Got this yesterday. It's now seasoned and ready to use.

One thing. The seasoning instructions on the pack. After the first seasoning, I let cast-iron pans cool right down and do the whole thing again. Clean with a brillo/soap pad then rinse and dry thoroughly (90 seconds on the hob will get it completely dry, then let it cool down). Very lightly oil the pan inside and out and cook in the oven (upside down on an oven rack with a drip tray on the rack beneath) at 200-220c for an hour. Choice of seasoning oil is up to you. I prefer flaxseed oil, but goose fat works well too. Just make sure you wipe off any excess oil/fat before the pan cooks in the oven. You want a thin film, no more.

This might seem like a faff and your kitchen will get very smoky, but once done (and used regularly), your pan will last a lifetime with no fears of toxins leeching out of the coating. I threw away all my non-stick pans because it was impossible to find out which ones were safe and which were not. If you cook things at high or very high heat (for best flavour), most PTFE non-stick pans are a waste of time because high heat is what makes the coating give off toxins.

5.0 out of 5 stars cast iron pan, 1 July 2011
This pan can go in oven, under grill or on hob.
Its heavy solid, stable on stove and quick cooking (fuel efficient?).
It gets hot and the shortish handle also gets very hot so you need oven glove/cloth as teatowel (I did use) isnt ok!
Preparation to seal pan is fine and after cooking in lots of cases it cleans like a non stick surface, but if there is food residue just give it a scrub.
Good value for money, but unless you have lots of pans check your sizes.

NOT IN INSTRUCTION but my way - after washing I usually dry pan over medium heat but if I see parched/dried out areas I then put about 1/2 teaspoon of cooking oil in and swirl it around, removing any excess with paper towel.
Instructions say to reseal from time to time so I dont wait that long.
I also when first using pan warm it and again slighty lubricate with oil and then wipe off, as before.
But I do this on all my steel or cast iron pans, thats a wok, small fry pan and a griddle.
I dont do this on my fancy stainless steel pans , but these tend to be redundant, because they stick a lot and need cleaning with wire wool. The saucepans are ok.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good second pan., 9 Dec. 2013
I used this pan a few times so far after seasoning it 3 times.
It was a bit scary frying anything for real since I was not sure it would not stick for good.

However, after seasoning with lard and in the oven (I wiped off the excess), as well as on a hotplate, it seems to have developed a very decent non-stick layer. Today I made a VERY nice egg ommmelette (buddhist omelette) and it did not stick in the least.
Since this particular pan (24 cm) is not too big, I just store it at the bottom of my oven. In this ways, as I am baking anything, I support the non-stick layer and get rid of moisture. I have a cast-iron takoyaki pan and treat it in the same way.

Quality of the pan is fine, the one I received had a chip - I think it came out from the cast like this but I do not really mind. It was not really rough - I was prepared to buy sanding paper or steel wool but was spared. In fact it was fairly smooth out of the box.
By the way, it weights around 1.74 kilograms, not too heavy.

Possibly interesting - when I was frying the eggs today, the pan was at 220 deg Celcius - measured with infrared thermometer.

The negative point - not for me personally but I agree it is bad - is that there is a ring or ridge, about 2-3 millimetre high. on the base of the pan. It does not bother me in the slightest, I have a hotplate hob where the circle fits inside the ridge on the pan. I tried the pan on a big hotplate where there was distance between the bottom of the pan and the surface, still cooked fine and got very hot.

For most cooking I would use my good Procook anodized aluminium pan (lovely non-stick and very light, oven proof too) but this one is growing on me, bit too heavy and cumbersome because of the hot handle for being the main pan. Maybe they could make the handle longer and add removable silicone/other metal/removable wooden over-handle?

Big point - very cheap!

4.0 out of 5 stars unbeatable for the price, 13 Mar. 2010
Gavin Clarke - See all my reviews
Slightly rough finish, but if you are willing to invest a little time sanding the pan surface before seasoning it, this will perform as well as a pan costing 5 times as much (mentioning no well known french names!)

Outstanding value for a pan that will last as least long as you do, and a revelation if your previous experience has been with non-stick pans - this is so much better.

It does require some work on your part to season the pan, but that initial investment in time,(a couple of hours), will pay you back for years to come. Once up and running this is very easy to clean, and a very difficult pan to damage unless you hit it with a strong detergent that will undo all your good work seasoning the pan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Patience is the key, 25 Aug. 2012
I was quite surprised by this skillet, even thought it was only £12.00 the previous reviews were good bar a few who were concerned over the raised bead of iron that surrounds the bottom, understandable if your hob is the induction type.

If you hob is gas like mine then no problem, what I would advise as others pointed out is the instructions for seasoning, the manufacturer has used not oil but I believe parafin wax as the anti-rust coating for storage so at this point a little patience is advised.

Firstly us a stong detergent with as hot water as you can stand and a good strong steel scrubbing pad, once you are happy that you have removed the surface wax/coating, I recomend that you now set you oven to Gas 6 and 200 degrees for electric (same difference) and put the skillet on the top shelf and leave in there for an hour DO NOT put any vegitable oil on the skillet yet.

The reason for putting it in dry is to burn off the wax that has penetrated the cast iron's surface during this hour be prepared for a reasonable amount of smell as the wax coating burns away as well as the smoke that is generated, plenty of ventilation IS recomended so as not to set off you smoke detectors :)

By the time and hour is up there should be virtually no smoke comming off the skillet, remove from oven using a good thick oven glove and leave to air cool slowly.

Next to season it, as I use a wok also, I tend to have only Rice Bran Oil or Peanut Oil to hand, so I poured just under a table spoon of the rice bran oil into the skillet and used paper towel(s) to evenly coat both the inside/outside and handle leaving no standing oil.

Place back in the oven at gas 6/200 degC, for one hour, again there will be some smell and smoke but it should be less than when burning off the coating, once more allow to air cool when the hour is up, then about 15min after taking it out, using a thick oven glove to steady the skillet wipe the inside and outside surfaces with paper towel to remove any left over oil, some oils go sticky when the skillet is cold.

For me it only took 2 seasonings and the I was cooking, yours may take more or less every pan is different. Then follow the instructions for cooking pre heat the pan for 90 seconds before adding the the meat or veg.

For me I have found this to be a great skillet to use, and the feel of it is that it will be a long lasting product, but remember look after it! So I would have no problems recomending this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 6 Jan. 2012
I bought this pan as I was sick of having to buy new non-stick pans only to have them wear out in a year or two. I knew with this that it would last me a life time, but I didn't count on just how much better it would be! It comes unseasoned but seasoning the pan is the most basic thing in the world and only an idiot could mess it up, once that natural non-stick is in place and the pan gets it's proper black colour then you're in business. Because it's one piece cast without plastic handles I've found it handy for use in the oven as well as on the hob tob, it makes excellent pan cakes and fantastic toad in the hole or full size yorkshire puddings.
It's very hard to get food to stick to the pan and simple warm water and sponge can lift it off. I use it so regularly that it doesn't get chance to go back into the cupboard!
I have to say that it's probably the best thing I've ever bought for the kitchen, it's converted me and I intend to get more cast iron cookware as and when I can afford it. I would recommend this pan to anyone who cooks on a gas hob or the older electric hobs with the coiled elements, it isn't suitable for newer electric hobs thanks to the ridge around the edge of the base that would prevent contact with a ceramic hob.