1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent ambient electronics, 15 Jan 2008
Mr. D. N. Reece (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Weleer (Audio CD)
Technically I guess this isn't a proper album, but a compilation of Rutger Zutdervelt's work as Machinefabriek over the past three years, which have mainly been released on limited edition CDrs, of which I only have one of I think over forty. So when this came out, it was a small triumph that I could finally hear what was going on for those three years, by the mysterious man behind the music. As you would expect from such a large collection, the record label Lampse have selected a really wide-ranging mix of stuff for this compilation. At best, (which I must say is for the majority of the album) Machinefabriek reach that intelligent, electronic, ambient, warming fuzz of the master of the genre - Fennesz. There are plenty more influences kicking around on the album as well, as I'm sure someone with a better background in this type of electronic music will no doubt identify, but throughout each song, you feel that Zutdervelt is content to play around with them himself. There is a lot of experimenting going on in each song, the use of field recordings, the use of traditional instruments, none more beautiful than on the first track `Oi Polloi', there's even a choir involved on one track and occasionally all out noise (Wolf Eyes? - maybe, but not as brutal, at least I managed to listen all the way through the noisy parts of `Hieperdepiep'). Overall, an album, which undoubtedly reflects the quality of Machinefabriek's oeuvre, which after listening to this, I'd happily want to explore more.

Highlights: Oi Polloi, Hieperdepiep, Lief

Weleer
Weleer by Machinefabriek (Audio CD - 2007)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available