5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent no-questions-asked 5 year exchange policy
I own two of these for a reason.

A decent size percentage of hard drives break after a year even with big brand names like western digital and seagate. In their reviews, there's always a mix of 5 stars and smaller batch of 1 stars mainly about dead drives. Suggest to always backup. I know some people backup their backup drive.

One of the two did die...
Published on 26 Aug 2009 by Brooklyn to Islington

I have 2 of these. The first has been in operation for about 6 months now and it's awesome!
Published on 19 Mar 2008 by TMGR

2.0 out of 5 stars Pray nothing goes wrong 'cuase Seagates' repair policy sucks!!, 19 Mar 2008
TMGR (NYC -> London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seagate FREEAGENT DESKTOP 320GB Hard Drive UK-VER 3,5" 7200RPM 8MB USB2.0 - ST303204FDC1E1-RK (Personal Computers)
But the second one(which has been in use for less than 6 weeks) it is completly fried! There was a problem with the power lead and I have a sneaky feeling it has burned out a few circuits. I called Seagate to find out about their repair policy (and there isn't one!) and all they do is replace the uint and you loose your data! However, there is a data recovery option which is £400 to £800! There is no in between with these guys, they will not take it back to replace the burnt bits but charges an arm and a leg to get your data back. If it weren't for this bad apple, I would've given this a 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent no-questions-asked 5 year exchange policy, 26 Aug 2009
I own two of these for a reason.

One of the two did die after 2 years of constant usage. I just put in the serial number on the seagate website and it shows my warranty. I never registered this product. They just know from the serial number. Then is prints out a packing slip with the address. I ship the drive in the original box (keep the box otherwise it will be a hassle to buy one) and 5 days later they sent me a new one. No charge. I didn't have to talk to any customer service rep either.

These guys give a 5 year warranty and WD gives only 1 or 2.

Data recovery of any drive cost £1000 because they have to open the drive in dust free environment and re-build the disks in another drive enclosure all under a magnified lens. I've seen the process and its like repairing a Rolex.

It's cheaper to backup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate... The best!, 17 July 2009
Mr. J. Ward (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The Seagate Freeagent 320gb drive is excellent! I have been using it for over one year and have never had any problems with it. The read/write speed is very good and enough to run large programs from (such as FSX etc). I have also found that the drive is very useful for running a secondary operating system, I am currently dual-booting WinXP with Ubuntu 9.04 which runs fast enough for me to use most of the applications available. However, the main reason why I like this drive is because it turns itself off when the computer is turned off. I find this to be a continual annoyance with other drives where you have to manually turn them off at the back of the unit. This feature allows you to leave the drive plugged into the computer and treat it as permanent storage, rather than removable storage... Ideal for dual-booting!
Overall I cannot recommend this drive enough. It is reliable and well priced, what more could you want?

4.0 out of 5 stars I've got a brown one!!, 15 Sep 2007
This disc drive does everything you want it too, easy to set up,virtually silent in operation, excellent.

There's only one problem,my drive is brown!!

From the pics on site and on the box it looks black, but this is definitely brown and looks horrible!

You would think it's a piece of ancient kit from the 70's!!

Luckily i'm just using it to backup my MP3 player, and laptop hard drive,and then it will be stored away from view!

If aesthetics are important in your PC equipment, check what colour you're getting!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful., 4 April 2014
Seriously, just awful.
Dug this out just now in the vain hope of getting it to work but no chance hence the review. I used it once or twice a while ago to transfer a bunch of files onto and even then the cable and lead had to be connected in a certain order to get it to work. I haven't been able to access it since. The pretty orange light glows, sometimes it even pulses but at no point will it speak to my Mac Mini. Tried it on a Mac G5 - nothing. The speil for this states that it has the footprint of a stapler. If this at least stapled that would be a start.
A glorified paperweight - avoid.

Oh, and I subsequently bought four Western Digital drives over time (2 x 2Tb and 2 x 1Tb) and they work like a dream*.

Update 21/06/14 - Whaddayaknow, one of the 2Tb drives failed, struck down after just over a year by the dreaded 'blinking light' syndrome.