Style Name: PoachpodChange

on 12 February 2009
I love eggs, I love poached eggs, but have never mastered the swirling technique and my egg poaching pan thing always seems to over cook them. I've had these poach pods for a couple of weeks now and am totally impressed ,great shape and runny yoke , I might even attempt the eggs benedict again now. Totally recommended and foolproof I think.
55 comments103 of 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2009
I bought these pods some time ago and initially wasn't impressed as the egg was overcooked on the outside and raw in the middle. However after a chance conversation with someone I know they told me that I should cover the pan with a lid and this would sort my problem. This I did and hey presto super poached eggs. Don't remember the instructions saying cover the pan when cooking but this is my tip for anyone thinking of buying these pods.
1111 comments226 of 236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2015
I'm so satisfied with these poach pods that I am ordering two more for my daughter.
Successful use does require practice and a little technique.
Greasing the pods lightly with butter before adding the eggs, ensures that after poaching they will easily slide out. Although sometimes they do need a little gentle encouragement :).
I add hot water to a medium size saucepan, bring to the boil and then turn the heat down so the water is only simmering before adding the pods.
I have found I can do this by hand, one at a time, by gingerly holding two pod corners by my finger tips.
I remove from pan the same way after taking the saucepan off the heat.
It is essential to cover the saucepan with its lid immediately after putting in the pods.
If the saucepan is not covered, the eggs won't poach properly.
I don't have a saucepan with a glass lid, so I use a timer to determine when the eggs are ready.
For large eggs straight from the fridge, I have found that 5mins poaching ensures that the white is fully cooked but the yolk is still soft.
I hesitated quite a while before buying these pods, I shouldn't have - perfect poached eggs for breakfast every morning now :).
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2012
These are not a genuine FusionBrand product. Poor quality.
I have contacted FusionBrands who have confirmed that these are not produced by them.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
0Comment23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2009
Easy to use but the instructions say you need to coat them with a little oil to stop them sticking, I didnt use any oil and found them ok, although they did stick a little but not enough to bother me.
0Comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 October 2015
These are extremely frustrating to use. The instructions result in the eggs not being cooked properly - what's the point in that?

A lot of kind people have posted suggestions on how to get the best out of these and it does result in a cooked egg thankfully!

The problem (for me) lies in getting the eggs out of the pods once cooked. I've never been able to get an egg out without completely mangling it and inadvertently turning them into scrambled eggs.

Nice idea but the execution isn't great
on 4 March 2010
After many years struggling to find a good method of poaching eggs, we finally found these silicone floating cups. What a discovery! Egg poaching pans always required a lot of effort to get them clean again after use, required butter or spray on the "non-stick" sticky surfaces and more difficulties in cleaning properly. It was also often difficult to remove the egg from the pan without damaging the runny yolk inside. As for poaching in water alone, what a messy business that can be!

All that is gone now. These cups are fabulously easy to remove the egg intact without damaging the liquid yolk using an ordinary spoon. They then beautifully invert so that you can rub any egg off them before they go into the dishwasher without effort. They have a nice hole in them that allows a dishwasher metal spike to be used to hold them in place.

What a great invention!!
on 2 January 2011
Bought these as a quick way to make poached eggs. However the results don't really taste at all like poached eggs (more like boiled eggs). Further they take and age to cook (about 8-10 mins) compared to normal poaching and even then there is still uncooked white on the top but the yolk is cooked solid. I'm going to perfect the art of traditional poaching and try and find another use for these silicone moulds.
33 comments3 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2009
This is a truly excellent product, and essential for those who love poached eggs but haven't quite mastered the whirlpool in simmering water technique! I use a light coating of butter and every time the eggs have easily slid out of the pods. It is very easy to achieve perfectly cooked, solid outer, soft yolk eggs with minimal attention and the pods and saucepan require very little washing up afterwards. I would recommend this product without hesitation!
0Comment21 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2009
I always used to find poaching eggs a bit of a chore with one of the traditional poaching saucepans and a bit of an overkill if you only wanted one egg (lots of washing up!). Having brought a pair of poachpods a couple of weeks ago I have to say I am very impressed at how easy it makes things - just a little oil rubbed inside the pod, put the egg in and then float the pod on boiling water - it's so easy all you have to do is work out how long it needs to be left for the perfect poached egg (between four and six minutes). Very easy to get the eggs out as well and having oiled the pod beforehand makes cleaning a doddle as well. Have to say it does seem expensive for what is basically a piece of silicone, but the design is really simple and works brilliantly. Wish I'd never brought one of those poaching saucepans now!
22 comments82 of 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse