Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 18 May 2007
This is a great program - it installed without a problem, started up quickly (previous versions could be a little slow) and has plenty of effects. Best of all it is reliable - I had endless problems with Pinnacle videostudio 10 and gave it up as a waste of time, but this has worked perfectly. It is straightforward to use, but as you get more confident it is easy to get more control over your video editing. I found it easy to edit, import music, record my own narration and burn the result to DVD. After you install it, go to the program website, download the free manual - and off you go.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2007
This programme is fantastic. Knocks spots off Pinnacle Studios 1-10, and any other video programme that I've used. I have been editing video since 1988 starting with an Amiga and a genlock (used for overlaying the titles etc). This programme has it all and makes life easy. No hesitation in giving it 5 stars. The instruction manual with the boxed version is excellent too.
on 22 October 2007
First thing, I bought this from Amazon for less than £30. It now seems to have doubled in price. Currently it is listed at £56. I probably would not have bought it at that price.
Second is I don't have anything to compare this against other than doing the same thing manually with lots of freeware which has been a pain.
The install was slow and seemed confusing with lots of 'extras' to install seperately. In addition, the software became corrupt with uvpc.exe (or something) crashing on winXP startup. Reinstalling cured this and it has been running fine for about 2 months.
It is pretty simple to create, edit, add sound/music etc to the video.
I did get lost a bit when creating the DVD menu but, after 20-30 mins checking the simulated playback, I got what I wanted.
As mentioned I *DID* have the freeware method of doing a similar thing but the £30 spent getting VS11+ to replace that process has been worth it. Not sure if I would say the same at double the price though.
I've given it 3 stars rather than 4 for the initial trouble installing but also because it meets my expectations without ever really exceeding them.
on 28 December 2007
I am currently using the free trial version of VisualStudio 11 Plus and no problems so far. With my first Sony DVD cam I got passable free software called ImageMixer. It was not bad, wasn't going to set the world on fire but it did an ok job. My Sony camera got nicked at that joke airport known as Heathrow; it was not in the smashed baggage that was returned to me 3 days after I had landed. Insurance paid out a paltry sum but I did get another Sony DVD VidCam. The editing software that came with this new Vidcam was garbage, a complete waste of time and space. I could not get my new Sony cam to work with ImageMixer so I thought I would try VideoStudio 11 plus.

Nice interface, very intuitive if you have a bit of experience with video editing software. Burned a DVD with no problems, made it work hard on the capture by trying to get it to load DVD files that were unfinalised. It did not fall over, just gave sensible error messages. Nice range of effects and audio control, titles and colours very easy to add and everything is consistently laid out.

The software installed quickly and loads quickly. It also shuts down without drama or fuss. I am running it on a 2.66 Pentium with a gig of ram and OS XP Service pack 2. I have not ventured down Vista avenue yet.

So with a reasonably spec'd computer running XP, decent amount of ram, and DVD VidCams everything seems to work just fine. So far I am very pleased and hope I will remain so. I wish the product was a bit cheaper but if it stays stable I will purchase.
on 23 September 2007
I used the 30 day trial version and was so impressed that I bought a retail copy. I have found this very easy to use, mainly drag `n drop, very reliable, loads of options to allow creativity, the final result of a project burnt onto a dvd looked really good on a 32" tv screen. I had an initial problem when using quicktime (*.mov) files, this was easily resolved by downloading a small patch from Uleads website.
Overall I am pleased with this purchase and am quite happy to reccommend this product.
on 1 July 2007
I have Used Ulead Video Studio since version 8.

I was little disappointed at first when I got a "Fatal Installation Error", but it was solved quickly by Ulead (Corel) customer service.

Like any other video editing programs Ulead Video Studio is not flawless, but still it's the best one I've ever used (Compared to Pinnacle studio and Power Director)
on 6 September 2007
Be warned, Corel have released this version and it does not work with older analogue type video cameras. According to Corel there is a problem with the plug-in for some capture devices! I understand this has been an issue for around three months when reading the Corel Forum site. If you are looking to buy this software I suggest you check out the forum to see if a service pack has been released before doing so. There is a workaround, but it refers to a thread on the forum that advises you to capture your video elsewhere and import it to VS11 for editing. However, it only advises of a program suitable for DV users!!
on 12 September 2007
System Summary: IBM T40 Laptop, XPsp2, JVC MG575 Everio.

I've currently got this on 30 day trial from Ulead, apears to work straight from the box. I managed to record, edit and upload a video to facebook in about 15 mins (not bad for a first timer). I agree with a previous post about the transistions, fx/crossfade is about the least offensive. I think it is currently a little expensive, but I've not yet played with all the functionality, e.g burning a disk.

I think if you have a simple system and a bit of time (rendering needs patience), then this is a good product.
on 30 May 2008
I have owned this software for six months. During that time, I have had to reinstall three times, each time due to a different problem. I am not a programmer, but in my opinion this is a poorly designed programme. The technical support is slow and generally unhelpful, usually suggesting a reinstall. I will be looking for a superior programme.
on 22 July 2010
Now this is a little bit puzzling. As you might have realised, Corel bought out Ulead and InterVideo in 2006 out so in theory, Corel should remarket this product as just Corel VideoStudio 11 Plus. So why, on this product, is it being marketed as Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus, as though Corel are being the producer of the software? Most puzzling, because the latter was dropped in the next version, Corel VideoStudio x2.

Anyway, this is a product review, not a buisness partnership discussion. What makes X2 different from 11 Plus is absolutely nothing, other than some features dropped and remade into X2. I would have thought as the new owners they would have hugely revamped it and made it a totally different editing experience. So much so, it's backwards compatible with 11 Plus. Must have been a transitional change between 11 Plus and X2, because they are a year apart.

11 Plus, to me, is more asthetically pleasing, a pleasent and easy on the eye blue and white interface, much nicer than what the X2 gives us, a drab grey and boring white. It's tidy, starts quicker than either X2 or even it's earlier editions, and is the most workable, most stable and easiest video editing experience than I've ever had. I praised the X2 for it's learning curve and stability and how responsive it was, but X2 has nothing on 11 Plus, and suddenly I realised how slow and sluggish the latter was.

But what makes it great, compared to the other competitors, is that it just works with no frills. Some people might be annoyed by the lack of features that are seen in more bloatware software like Sony Vegas, but for the average "Home video" editor, and marketed very well with a competative price. Nobody is going to need or care that these features are not present, no, it strips out the crap which noone is ever going to use and concentrates on usability, at being one of the most reliable editor which works, does what it's told to do, without problems.

Now, admittedly, the computer I'm using for this program is underpowered and scrapes over minimum requirements so I can't really complain about it being sluggish, but if your patient, then it will work wonders for you, and it is certainly much more responsive than X2, the delay time is only for a few seconds. I scarcely play video in the window for editing as it's so slow it's near enough unworkable. I always play back my video in the Multi-Trim editor, which works fluently and excellently with my video.

Video effects and transitions are excellent, as always from Ulead, as they offer a dizzing array of choices split into subcategories. Of course, for those wanting to be the next George Lucas some of these effects and transitions may appear limited and unpromising if you like, but they give a impressive selection to the home editor. I'm not heavy into effects, as other people might be, so of course, I don't need bloated, overstuffed software like Sony Vegas and Adobe Premier just to get going and do simple transition, cutting, et al.

Pick up and play seems to be the main key here, I don't like to learn software, I want to automatically just work with it, and for people with similar attitudes will be pleased this software doesn't have a learning curve, literally click click click, share, and your done, your movie is made, just like that.

Needless to say, 11+ Just works, which explains the awards it's won for being the best budget editor, and it hits it on the head extremely well. I no longer have to suffer intolerable crashes from Pinnacle, which was appallingly useless for editing, Sony Vegas needed a learning curve. I tried both of these to get it to work with my video, both of them pulled a sickie on my video which made it unworkable, 11+ picked it up straight away. These were AVI format files, and other editors failed to understand the audio syncing. Urgh.

Now, computer spec wise is unimpressive. Here is what I have:

Socket 478 Intel Celeron D 3Ghz
Integrated Graphics Card (SiS 678)
80GB Hard Drive
Running Windows XP

Now, the impressive thing about this is that despite these paltry computing specs, it runs, and it runs well. Other editors I tried were unusably slow. Must faster, leaner, and more stable than say Corel X2, which, now looking back, looks more like a bastardisation of VideoStudio. It's good, don't get me wrong, but Corel havent pumped enough innovations in the year gap to make it worthy of say another purchase, it's exactly the same other than a more drab, dull grey theme released over a year later. If it helps, think of Windows 98 and Windows ME. They do exactly the same thing, but isint innovative enough to wring £50 out of your pocket, Windows ME does exactly the same thing as 98... only a different theme, and just wasnt impressive enough for another £50 whacked on top of it's predecessor.

Marginally, the minimum requirements are marginally smaller than X2, but using a computer which is touching over the minimum any lesser requirements are inevitably going to be an improvement to my computer. It is one of the first editors to support HD editing - Although HD editing is still in it's premature stage and I never use it, so this doesnt really benefit me. But for those that believe HD is the be all and end all - make a start here. There are many options to produce to - WMV, MPEG, MP4, et al, and even audio files, so your not limited to what format you can do. Obviously don't expect quirky formats like FLAC and ogg, but the more streamline formats like WAV, etc are available.

During the battle for editing programs, Ulead is an excellent contender for just "working", and unlike the many programs I have had to work with... This one is fast, stable, and infact many home productions are done on Corel/Ulead products.