on 5 February 2009
Great product at a great price! Comes with a handy dispenser nozzle and is the essential accessory to keep your shredder functioning efficiently!
on 30 July 2010
Easy to apply and appears to do exactly as it says. Just put a line of oil on a piece of paper and run thru the shredder - couldn't be easier!
on 15 July 2011
Arrived on time. Does what it says on the bottle. My shredder can run backwards and that's the best way to apply it. Squirt a bit of it, not too much, left and right into the paper slot and run the blades backwards three to four times. The unit seems to run paper through faster after you've lubed it. It needs doing every 100 sheets or so.
on 27 March 2012
This is an essential product if you have a cross cut shredder. My machine was struggling a bit before I used this product and it has made the cutting smoother and less noisy. The bottle has a cap, which is most helpful for storing it without spills. It is easy to use especially with the nozzle of the bottle which also seem to regulate the flow of oil - no spills to date. I have used a little of it every time I emptied the bin. Do not pour too much of the lubricant oil into the machine as I have found from my previous experience the machine will clog up and become sticky. Overall a good product even though it is a tad too expensive for the volume of oil the bottle contains.
VINE VOICEon 18 November 2009
At some point we have heard horror stories about personal details being retrieved from our waste-paper bins and used to fund crime. So we can buy a shredder to cope.

Why do I need to use this specific type of oil?

But do you know that chopped and compressed waste paper without lubricant of any type can blunt the blades of the shredder and even stress its rotary bearings and cause its premature failure? If the oil is a too heavy type or too light type this will also accelerate the wear and tear on the blades. The answer is to apply a specific light grade of oil to avoid clogging the blades and making the blades fail before its time.

The oil just requires two rules to make the most of it

@1 Every time you fill the shredder bin, find a scrap A4 sheet of waste paper and cover it well with the oil. Turn on the shredder and feed it into the shredder. Then turn it off and remove the electrical plug from the mains

@2 Remove the shredders waste bin to access the rotary blades. Remove the mains plug. By observation, remove any bits of paper around the blades and around its rotary bearings.

Then put the empty waste capture bin back into the shredder and jobs done! The plan will help to extend the useful life of your device.
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have had a succession of shredders over the years and one of the things that has surprised me is that despite their simplicity of function (all they have to do is shred paper!) they are easily broken. Few shredders have lasted me longer than a couple of years despite modest and careful use.

I decided to give my shredder a bit more TLC so invested in this Swordfish Lubricant Oil - I'm told the paper dust that builds up in shredders gives the gears and cutters a very hard time. I'm also told the type of oil that is suited to the dusty, high torque world of shredders is quite specific so using a squirt of WD-40 or bike oil wasn't going to work. I've now been using this oil for over a year. Sometimes I apply it directly into the shredding slot and other times I apply a "zigzag" of oil to a sheet of A4 and then put it through the shredder. I always give the shredder a second or two in reverse as well after oiling too. As a rule of thumb I oil the shredder each time I empty the bin. The result has been fewer jams and generally smoother operation.

This Swordfish lubricant is convenient to apply using its "micro-nozzle", it doesn't leak, and, despite liberal use, has outlasted the suggested 20 applications from the 240ml bottle. If you own a shredder this is a good investment - recommended.
on 5 April 2016
Good price compared to competitors. I will never know whether this was worth it or not, as I did not run a shredder without lubricant and one with lubricant...! However, trusting that it is necessary, this seems to be the best value for money.

How to use:
The best way to use this, and maximise the number of times you can lubricate your shredder with one bottle, is as follows:
1. Take two pieces of A4 paper that you don't mind shredding
2. Squirt some lubricant onto one A4 sheet in a zigzag shape from edge to edge, with maybe 4-5 zig zags in total from the top to the bottom of the page
3. Place the other A4 sheet on top of the first A4 sheet, and allow it to stick together (will do this of its own accord), thus making your own lubricant "envelope"
4. Shred the "envelope" of lubricant you have just created about a quarter of the way, then set your shredder in reverse. Do this until you have finished shredding the A4 "envelope"
5. Use the lubricant once every 100 sheets or so. Usually easiest to judge by the number of shredder bins you have filled (you'll have to figure out for your own model how many sheets can be shredded into your bins)

Happy shredding!
on 28 October 2013
I thought I would give this oil a try, as it was cheaper than getting the specific make for my machine.
I must say that it does the job well and I'd be happy to recommend it to other people.
on 5 March 2015
A bit messy, but cheaper than the packets. And easy enough to do. Have your paper ready and close to the machine. Spread a little over the page (be careful it comes out fast), then cover with another paper. Put immediately through the shredder. We did this a couple times. We thought our shredder was ready for the bin, but this oil worked great. Shredder is quiet now, and still working strong.
on 16 September 2013
Would recommend anyone who is considering having a shredder of any type to buy this product at the same time.
Its not necessary t use it as it states, to use it every time any shredding is undertaken is a waste of the product and money. Use own judgement on how many times to use the product, we experimented and use it once a week if we do a lot of shredding.

See one answered question