5.0 out of 5 stars Just what's needed
This has proved to be a good purchase. The wok is robust and a suitably heavy duty of steel. It's a good size for general home use - there's not really any point getting a much bigger wok anyway, as the correct cooking style for a wok requires you not to add too much food at one time. In any event, it's easily big enough for most family meals to be cooked in...
Published on 11 May 2009 by Go Go Dancer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not without its problems.
After toying with the idea of a carbon steel wok for months, I chose this over a non-stick version. My biggest concern was me having a ceramic hob, and not gas. Part of me wanted to learn how to season my very first wok, and learn to care for it for many years to come. After watching many youtube videos and reading the best way to season a wok, I bought this...
Published on 25 Aug 2011 by P. Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what's needed, 11 May 2009
This review is from: Swift Spice 30 cm/ 12-inch Heavy Gauge Carbon Steel Wok (Kitchen & Home)

It's turned out to be a high quality wok at a very competitive price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great wok at a great price, 26 Jun 2010
The seasoning instructions are not good but that's the only fault i have found. Seasoning the wok is not an instant thing, it requires many cycles of oiling, heating and cooling before enough oil has burnt on to give the nonstick finish.

Each time you finish cooking, clean the wok ASAP, dry it, heat it up a little to evaporate any excess water and apply a very thin layer of oil while still hot to prevent moisture in the air attacking the surface until the next time you use it, then put it away after it has cooled down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can be seasoned in the oven if you have a ceramic hob, 14 Jan 2012
A simple solution for seasoning this wok is to unscrew the wooden part of the handle and then lightly oil the entire pan front and back and rim. I used the cheapest cooking oil. Then place upside down in the oven(for an even glaze) at 220 degrees centigrade for 20 minutes. When you remove it from the oven your pan will have a shiny black non-stick glaze and it'll be ready to use. The flat part of the pan is a little small but it works fine on a ceramic hob and heats up quickly. Overall it's a very good wok for the money. I've since found out that Flax seed oil is the best to season it with and it's best to use plastic or wooden utensils with it to avoid scraping the glaze off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wok !!, 27 Jan 2012
I've never bothered writing a review before and probably this will be the last but I loved this wok so much! Even considering how little it cost this is a bloody good wok, I'm really pleased with it. Nice and heavy (I just got the 30cm) but it won't break your arm. I took a lot of care 'seasoning' it, a good couple of hours, (I had to do it on an electric 'glass' ring, gas would have been a whole lot quicker), but whatever wok you get your going to have to do that anyway unless you go non-stick. Non-stick is great but for a wok it defeats the whole purpose, woks add flavour, you don't get flavour from Teflon, you might just as well not bother and buy a non-stick frying pan.
I would recommend this link for how to season.....
[...]

I used the hob method, even though I don't have gas, but you must get it (very) hot, if you follow the instructions faithfully (and take care!) it works well, use lard and don't forget to open the windows, (I had a Tesco delivery, the guy thought I was cooking a pig!). And remember, despite what some idiots on the internet tell you, never use soap to clean it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant wok, 22 April 2009
Anna (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
For the price I wasn't expecting such a great quality product. It is very nicely made and I am absolutely thrilled with it. My only quibble has nothing to do with the item itself but with the instructions for seasoning it (they didn't work and so I resorted to another method, which did - eventually). I highly recommend this fabulous wok to anyone. One other thing - I wish they wouldn't advertise these as 'carbon steel' woks. Steel by definition has carbon in it - that's what distinguishes it from iron!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, cant believe how cheap it was !!!!, 27 Oct 2009
First of all let me say the seasoning instructions could be alot better. Thats the only fault i have with this wok. Ive had different woks in the past and know how to look after them. I can easily say this is the best one ive had. Seasoning a wok is not an overnight thing and could take as long as a week !!
To get the coating off i did have to use a scouring brush but that was after a few goes using the instructions given.
If your having rust problems its because your leaving it to dry after washing WITHOUT covering it in oil. After washing the wok heat it up, pour a bit off oil in while its still hot and use a kitchen towell or cloth to coat the entire inside of the pan THEN put it in storage after its cooled down.
Ive had my work since january 2009 and use it to make
an english breakfast (eggs,sausage,bacon,mushrooms,tomatoes and beans)
stir fried beef,chicken,turkey,pork,prawns and goat
stir fried rice
stir fried noodles
indian dishes like korma and curry
stir fried vegtables
NON OF THESE ITEMS STUCK TO THE PAN.
My wok is now superbly seasoned in and SO non stick i use it more than my non stick frying pan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not without its problems., 25 Aug 2011
P. Carter - See all my reviews

When it arrived I was excited to get started. The build quality is amazing, and very sturdy on my hob.

After first seasoning my wok, I cooked my favourite dish; chicken chow mein. Within seconds the soy marinade and the chicken burnt on to the pan. Adding the noodles a short time later, they stuck too. What made it worse was the seasoning was now peeling off the wok.

My problem really started seasoning this wok on a ceramic hob. Even on full, the heat didn't radiate high enough to seal in the seasoning, hence why it peeled off. Even after an hour of resesoning and recooking at least 5 times, my hob is not good enough.

After taking it to my girlfriends and using it on her gas hob, the thing worked like a charm. The point it, I spent hours seasoning, washing, oiling this product. I ended up buying a non-stick one in the end, and that works perfect for me. Word of advice, if you don't have gas ... don't buy this product, you will not be able to season the wok as well as (I thought) you think.

4.0 out of 5 stars The story so far..., 3 May 2011
I purchased this item around 21st Feb 2011 for £17. Taking note of the comments here, I seasoned it using a neighbours gas cooker, as I have a conduction hob, for around 30 minutes. The coating was fairly even, much better on the base.

It seems to cook well, reasonable heat distribution, and be quite non-stick as I expected from carbon steel, so no issues there. However after around three weeks with no issues, I overcooked an item (not burnt) and after this it developed a light coat of rust in places quite quickly. Obviously the excessive heat had damaged the seasoning slightly. I use the wok around once-twice a week, which I'd consider a minimum if it isn't stored.

However, it should be pointed out that there are no magic solutions to non-stick cooking with steel! The instructions clearly state that after cleaning, it should be wiped with a light coat of oil. This is easy and seems to work quite well, and I haven't had any issues/rust since. The slight rusting was on the inside base, and if left with oil in the base after cooking, it didn't rust in any case. The rust that had developed was light and easy to remove, but if you aren't a regular wok user, or check it regularly, this might not be for you.

So there you have it. It isn't perfect, but if you follow the instructions, it is better than iron (v.heavy) and you don't have to replace the Wok every six months like I was doing with a certain expensive Le French brand just because you scratched the non-stick by accident (my partner likes using metal cooking utensils sometimes). A good working item treated sensibly, good price, so four stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars A perfectly good wok, 2 Dec 2011
When we got the wok I have to say that the seasoning process was a little daunting, but we sort of improvised and ended up with what seemed to be a fully seasoned wok. A month on and its great. Washes easily and nothing ever sticks. Also big enough for a large stir fry!What more could you want?!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 18 Nov 2009
Really good stuff. After using a non-stick one, this one is much much better :)