Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 February 2008
This album is absolutely amazing, mindblowing, sick and generally unbeleivable. Tom Withers is clearly up there with some of the best producers not just in dnb but in electronic music in general.

i have been listening to dnb for years now and have piles and piles of albums and compilations from 1992 to the present. This album has gone straight into the top five dnb cds i own and i own nearly every classic dnb album (amon tobin, teebee, high contrast) , i have had difficulty coming to terms with how good this album is.

The problem with the review above is that the reviewer is only into one style of drum and bass, to only like one style of dnb (goldie/metalheadz which i also love) is somebody who doesn't appreciate music and is clearly only into his image (does this cd go with my angry face and trainers).

This album is not purely ambient dnb, it also has a dark fast side which has you jumpin around your room with a face expression like you've just had your thigh stroked by your grandma (this is a good thing, refering to the face expresion not the grandma bit).

Anyone into dnb of all styles, get this album now!!!
on 21 May 2007
Why does this album get 5 stars?

Of the 250+ dnb albums that I own, this one is in my all time top 10.

Well, it has 24 tracks, and although cd1 is drum and bass, and cd 2 is slower breakbeats, cd1 makes a strong case for being drum and bass album of the year. I am only reviewing cd1 below : Not sure how much you know of Klute's music, but of his 5 or so albums, this one far surpasses any of the other 4 and it seems has his best elements of albums of yesteryear. Each track has been beautifully produced, and most tracks have great melody and are not boring after a few minutes as they change enough throughout to keep the tracks fresh after 5 minutes of listening which is not that common with drum and bass albums because they are very much geared for the dancefloor and therefore only being played for about 2 minutes! There is plenty of melody and soul on most tracks and also enough variety between tracks to make this album a very multidimensional affair

The first thing to say, however, is you must invest in a good soundsystem, whether portable or at home, because to really appreciate this sort of music, your system must be able to offer surround sound like sound separation otherwise you probably wont enjoy drum and bass music as each type of sound must separate properly as it is polyphonic and there is a lot going on at a fast pace!

Looking at the CD1 tracks below in brief to give you a bit more detail on

CD1:

TRACK 1 - 174bpm isn't a dnb track per se and makes a good intro to the album, and is full of haunting rhythms and has a massive dirty bassline. TRACK 2...Never Never...Is so soulful and epic, it almost brings a tear to my eye as it takes you on a melodic rollercoaster, a few years ago if I could get 1 track on a whole album that sounded like this and I would have to pay £15 for it, i would... TRACK 3 features Calibre, the track is quite bassy and has interesting vocals and other sounds. TRACK 4- is just something else, titled "The Struggle" is a very accomplished track indeed, everything works...it has great drums, amazing bass, great high end sounds...Track 5 - is less melodic, basically has this bass guitar strum, and other filtered 'electric guitar sounds' and it all also has some vocals, but rolls along nicely... Track 6- Flight, good tune, again with Klute's eeriness and rolls along nicely. Track 7 - again my view is, this is completely stand out. It is really melodic, harmonic, with a great vocal accompaniment, I have been listening to this track over and over, and dig it to death. Track 8 - is subdued, has a vocal and is chilled out, I actually had this album on low volume when we were getting romantic, and because of all the chill out sounds on this CD, she actually really liked it (she does not think much of DnB normally!) TRACK 9 is immensely orchestrated, with a cinematic intro, and then kicks in like a logical progression tune with an amen beat, and great keys, very good listening...and then it drops after about 4.50mins into the track and goes crazy, uplifting with hard drums and great bass, TRACK 10 is a bit darker with a haunting sounds, but again, takes you on a journey and is great listening...TRACK 11 is big on cymbal drums and again more on the darker more haunty tip, but the track keeps morphing all the way through, therefore is a very listenable track. TRACK 12 is a dub influenced track with heavy bass and a dub vocal about robbing streets at night! again the track has enough variety to keep it great listening all the way through.

CD 2

God knows, I am too hooked on CD 1 to even give it the time of day!!

I have been a Klute fan since the late 90s when I first heard some of his stuff online, it was quite different from the mainstream DnB of the time,he had this great album 'Tranceformat' which was like nothing others in the mainstream were doing, he has since stuck to what he likes and doesnt care what's 'in', he does what be believes and has now released my dnb album of 2007 so far...of the 250+ dnb albums that I own, this would bein my top 10.
on 10 March 2010
I too cannot rate this album highly enough. Coming from a punk background, as Tom Klute does, I absolutely love his take on drum and bass. You won't find sweet girly vocals to suddenly make you cringe, or derivative formulaic earbleed beats either - stuff you've heard so many times that you've probably given up on drum and bass as an inventive form of music by now, as I nearly did. You will find the most innovative startling permutations I've ever heard on d'n'b. A breath takingly inventive mixture of styles await you. Beautifully constructed breaks, Four Tet like melodies, punky riffs, and darkwave sonic experiments abound. Klute seems to have no stylised limitations. You just don't know where he's gonna take you next, and I love it. Guaranteed, this will take most people out of the comfort zone of what you expect from a drum and bass album, but surely that's the point! The shame is, that in my humble opinion I'm always trying to find other artists to match up to Klute, and I never can. He's that good! Check it out, and you can buy me a pint for the introduction one day...
on 27 January 2008
Well what can I say, this album is the weakest DnB album I have heard in years and I have heard some crap.

Its 2 cds but its not mixed,come on, this dj produces on goldies label. It felt like he just produced it for the sake of it. There was no body to most of the tracks just ambient sounds, ok if you like that sort of thing, but when you have been producing for metalheadz you should come better than that.
This is album is a waste of money in my opinion. I heard this dj live and bought the album before this one and he can do alot better.
You best save your money there is no energy or vibe at all. Very disappointing.