4.0 out of 5 stars Rom-com's don't have to make sense!
Published on 16 Aug. 2007 by CJR

3.0 out of 5 stars Sexy Hugh Grant is a lovable legend - We love him !!
The opening video is so incredibly funny. We kept rewinding the scene. It is such a typical sounding 80's song, and the video is SO funny. It sums up the 80's to perfection. Hugh is brilliant and his funny dance moves will have you laughing out aloud. You will be singing the song all day.

OK it's a predictable film. The ending could have been a bit better. Hugh...
Published on 13 Sept. 2007 by G. Kyriacou

4.0 out of 5 stars Rom-com's don't have to make sense!, 16 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I watched this on the plane and made a complete fool of myself by laughing aloud. Frequently. (Don't you hate it when no one else in the vicinity is wearing headphones?!) It is frothy and would never happen in real life, but isn't that what romantic comedies are all about? Hugh Grant is lovely in this, with none of the usual arrogance associated with his typical characters. Drew Barrymore is as always fabulous if a bit eccentric. I really really enjoyed this and so will anyone who is up for some light-hearted laughs and a bit of romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 5 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I cannot believe I am giving this four stars. I fully expected this to be a Hugh-Grant-Romcom-of-Diminishing-Returns vehicle, but actually this is surprising for a number of reasons; 1) the musical mcguffin isnt a simple mcguffin at all, the plot really is about two people trying to write a song, 2) the songs are actually pretty good and certainly better than most of the dross that turns up in your average "musical", 3) there are some class 80s pastiches and 4)this doesnt follow the simplistic romcom get-together-fall-in-love-split-up-get-back-together template. At the end of the day this is a pretty good nights entertainment and unless you find Mr Grant completely unwatchable then Id give it a go (hats off by the way to Hugh for some pretty good singing). Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed all the way through- Pop goes my heart!!!, 11 May 2007
This review is from: Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I loved this film. Not only do you hear Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore sing but there are plently of laughs too. The older sister Rhonda provides a lot of them. Also some of the end credits footage give reference to other music facts etc. I loved the irony and the singing.

I am a massive Hugh Grant fan and this film is perfect- I hope I see what the PoP videos for the other songs they performed. PoP is like Wham! Spandau Ballet type group. I don't normally like Drew Barrymore as she always plays strong character ugly duckling into swan roles (Charlie's Angels, Ever After,) ... but in this she is sweet.

I loved the Love Autospy song too. As soon as I watched this film I brought the soundtrack and I listen to it with a smile on my face. Another successful film starring Hugh Grant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great mindless mush, 3 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I think that the idea for this film entirely came from the Hugh Grant dancing scene in "Love Actually", which always makes me laugh! It's cheesy, it's fluffy, and it's exactly what you need for a girlie night in. I went to see it the weekend it came out, and we found it exactly what we expected, and came out feeling like we'd relaxed... Totally enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars for a Silly Romance? Yes!, 15 Feb. 2007
Sure. Why not? The first question in assessing a movie's merit is does it do as intended?

With "Music and Lyrics," what it intends is nothing extraordinary. It aims to be a fun, romantic, sweet comedy of a man meeting a woman and falling love, with a poke at pop culture. It accomplishes this. I saw this on February 14, Valentine's Day, and wanted exactly as delivered.

Paul McCartney asked in the 1970s what the world needs with another silly love song. "Music and Lyrics" is, in film, a silly love song.

Hugh Grant plays Alex Fletcher, a has-been pop singer from a defunct duo similar to Wham!, struggles to find his way as his audience stops caring. Realistic, he knows what he is capable of, but is unsure what his next step should be.

When Cora, a pretentious form of Britney Spears-Shakira-Christina Aguilera of sex-pop, offers him an opportunity to write a song, he runs into trouble. He is a melody man, not a lyricist. His lyricist from his old band, Pop!, is long gone.

In walks Sophie Fisher, played with charm by the ever-sweet Drew Barrymore. She's Alex's temporary plant watering person (and not a very good one), with a penchant for delivery peppy lyrics under her breath. Despite the scorn of fill-in wordsmith Greg Antonsky, Alex takes a liking to her style. Greg's angst-style, hopeless lyrics seem off kilter with Alex's personality.

Embittered from a broken affair with an engaged man, Sophie is uninterested. It is one thing to hum a tune, and it is another to commit to writing a song. However, Alex only has a few days and pressures (begs, really), Sophie to help.

She acquiesces, and tries to write. Alex and Sophie clash, as he understands the profession of music, and is desperate, and she is still stuck on the failed affair.

Both are living in the past, and both need to move up into 2007 to survive and thrive.

Finally, lyrics are written, and Cora loves them -- with a few changes. Cora's version is laced with faux spirituality and tramped-up seduction. Sophie's artistic sensibilities are insulted, and pulls the song much to Alex's chagrin. They argue, break-up, and now, Alex is stuck trying to fix a song.

Can he fix the song on time? Will they figure out how to live in the present day? What about love (this is a romantic commedy, remember?).

A fine self-mocking performance is put on by Kristen Johnston as Sophie's older sister Rhonda, making jabs at her own weight-loss campaign. Brad Garrett as Alex's agent Chris Riley is right on the money, as he is both a manager and friend.

Drew Barrymore shows she's more than the girl next door, but has a kind of Lucille Ball, Jenna Elfman, Meg Ryan mix going on.

Hugh Grant is perfectly cast, and is the better side of himself. He never overplays the role, and yet, does not fall into the 'stupid Englishman' persona he occasionally does.

I fully recommend "Music and Lyrics."

Anthony Trendl

editor, HungarianBookstore.com

4.0 out of 5 stars classic chick flick material, 2 July 2007
This review is from: Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this - it was just what the doctor ordered for an afternoon on the sofa with a sore throat, a blanket and some chocolate!

The open sequence was hilarious and boded well and I wasn't disappointed. Hugh Grant was on top form and cast in the sort of role that suits him. The comedy was gentle rather than hilarious but there were several giggle out loud moments.

If you like rom coms/chick flicks then you will probably enjoy this. Nice undemanding viewing ideal for a night in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an all time great rom com, but nice enough, 16 Nov. 2008
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I didn't have particularly high expectations of this film... but found myself pleasantly surprised. Especially by Hugh Grant's performance as an Andrew Ridgeley-esque 'has-been' 80's pop performer. The pop pastiche elements of this film are really well done - the 80s-styled 'PoP goes my heart' video is a particular gem, but Hugh Grant's 'has-been' character's performances in dismal bookings at high school reunion evenings and local fairs are also well worth watching.

The plot - with Grant's character desperately latching onto his plant waterer (Drew Barrymore) as a lyricist to help him come up with a song to appeal to current hot artist Cora Corman within a very short time frame, and falling in love along the way - is pretty unremarkable rom com fare, though nonetheless appealing enough. But it's the catchy, convincingly styled songs - and most notably Grant's performances - that raise this to above average.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music and Lyrics, 20 July 2009
David "AL" (North Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
What a great film this is! Not only are there great pop tunes in this films, but it's a romantic comedy which actually does what it says on the tin - it's romantic and it's a comedy! And a hugely funny one at that, and that's not surprising when there's a supporting cast like this with Brad Garret (Everybody Loves Raymond) and Kristen Johnson (3rd Rock from the Sun) bringing in just as many laughs as Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant. I'm not usually a Grant fan (mainly because I'm male!) but I have to say he was very funny in this. OK, he was playing the same role he always plays - a kind of bumbling, upper-class fop - but I genuinely believe that he was the failed pop star he was playing, and was just as desperate to see him and Barrymore's character write the song.

And that's what it's all about: Ex-80s-boy-band member Alex Fletcher (Grant) hasn't written a song since his hey day, and even that it was just the music, not the words. His career has taken a big dip since then, and now he's performing with a backing track at school reunions and fairs - organised by his boss Chris (the taller than tall Brad Garret). He gets the break of his (later) life when a young female starlet in the mold of Britney Spears or Christiana Aguilera wants him to write a song for him ... by Friday. Alex desperately needs lyrics, and he manages to find an aspiring lyricist in Drew Barrymore's Sophie Fisher, who visits his flat to water his plants. Together, they need to write a song quickly, and they just might fall in love along the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Melody Is Like Seeing Someone For The First Time. Then As You Get To Know The Person, That's The Lyrics., 19 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
This movie inspires me so much. The more I watch, The more I enjoy. It's one nice, happy, hilarious, cool and romantic movie. And as the name says it's about music. Hugh Grant is a talented actor. Here, he's Alex and funny to shake his bum until his hip hurts. Drew Barrymore is a very gorgeous and brilliant actress. Here, she's Sophie and just as silly as any girls can be. And Haley Bennett ... ooh ... she's just hot.

Alex who is an ex-member of band called Pop and Sophie who comes to Alex's to water his plants and turns out to be a born-lyricist, team up to write a song for the famous pop star Cora (Haley Bennett). And they have only just few days for the task. That's when they fall in love and the relationship grows. And the story is about it.

What touched me is - While staying awake all night, both working hard writing song, Alex says, "It doesn't have to be perfect. Just spit it out. They're just lyrics. Lyrics are important. They're just not as important as melody." And Sophie comments on that saying, "A melody is like seeing someone for the first time, the physical attraction, sex. Then as you get to know the person, That's the lyrics. They're story who they are underneath. It's the combination of the two that makes it magic."

I've always been arguing on this thing that I'm always attracted first by music rather than lyrics. If the music is good and I like it, then I go for the words to check what is really in there. Music is Scent ... Lyrics is Essence ... I'm a Bee. For me, music or melody always comes first. But that doesn't mean anything on lyrics will do. Hell big NO to that. Of course, the lyrics have to be as sweet, deep and meaningful as the music to make a good song. This movie answered all that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely chamring, 19 Feb. 2007
T. Noever "Author of the TETHYS series" (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
M&L is driven by several major sources of energy, if you will, mixed
together with skill and a fine sense of timing: absurd comedy, parody,
utter predictability and an overwhelming charm that only a
romantic-comedy hater could resist. As for me, I was...well 'charmed'.
Hugh Grant, as my wife noted, basically always plays the same
character: a mix of hapless but amusing bumbler with a self-effacing
sense of insight into his own bumbler-ness and maybe human nature in
general. In anybody else this endearingness would be annoying--and do
not doubt that there are a lot of Hugh-Grant-haters out there; and good
for you, because I know where you're coming from. It's just that I'm
not with you on this.

Drew Barrymore has always had a slight inherent cluelessness and
innocence, mixed it with a twinkle of the actress's own
life-ups-and-downs, that made her perfect for this little flick. This
is in contrast to another not-so-recent movie Ever After, which was
very likable and charming, but I wished the Cinderella character had
been someone else, because the US accent just grated--just as did, for
example, the accents in The Three Musketeers and especially Chris
O'Donnell's D'Artagnan. I can't abide that kind of sloppiness. But
here, Barrymore was perfect.

They spent a lot of time on music numbers in this one, playing songs
almost all the way through. This normally would have annoyed me for I
would have thought of it as the time-filler it might have been. If it
was, well in this instance I don't care, because it worked as well. And
the ditty Way Back Into Love is a real earworm. It made the whole thing
almost believable--believable enough at the time to allow, for me at
least, effortless suspension of disbelief.

Last, but not least, this is the kind of movie I could never make or
script. I don't have the disposition for it. Because of that I really
have no notion of how to make it better--and that's a good thing,
because I wasn't sitting there, asking myself "but why didn't they...",
which is what I sometimes do in flicks that I might have written, but
in which I detect serious flaws. If this thing here had flaws, well, I
don't care. It was fun and games and lots of laughs. And yes, call me
whatever you want to, but I was humming that damn tune when I came out.

Till Noever, [...]

Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007]
Music and Lyrics [DVD] [2007] by Marc Lawrence (DVD - 2007)