Top positive review
7 people found this helpful
Really like it, more rounded sound.
on 8 July 2007
Overall i really like this album, theres not as many really top-notch songs as there is in contraband, but there are no poor ones either. Have to say slash is the reason im a guitarist, and is my guitar god, so i might be biased but heres a breakdown of all the songs. 0-2: is crap, 3-4: Ok, 5-6: Like it, 7-8: Really like it, 9-10: Love it!
1) Let it Roll - Great rocking start to the album, thought the solo could be ever so slightly better though, but im picky :) - 9/10
2) She Mine - Nice solid chunky riff - 6/10
3) Get out the door - 5/10
4) She Builds Quick Machines - Thought this tune was a bit light when i first heard it, now its my favourite tune on the album! Awesome solo! 10/10
5) The Last Fight - Think they were trying to have their 'fall to pieces' track here, its good but not great. 6/10
6) Pills Demons & etc - Cool funky wah-wah riffage. Cool solo, but rhythm section needs to be tad louder there 7/10
7) American Man - This along with mary mary is probably most mainstream stuff here 6/10
8) Mary Mary - See above 5/10
9) Just Sixteen - 50's esque rock, with not so 50's lyrics lol. Really cool 10/10
10) Can't get it out of my head - Quite chilled riff with top wah solo. 7/10
11) For a brother - Solid if unremarkable - 5/10
12) Spay - Probably the closest sound to contraband, cool unexpected slide guitar. 8/10
13) Gravedancer - Love this tune, strongest singing on entire album i think. Beautiful, up there with Loving the Alien. 10/10
14) Hidden track - Cool little country ditty 6/10
15) Psycho Killer - A cover track, weakest in my opinion, Still ok though 4/10.
I think theres a definate maturing to all the musicians on this album, a more textured sound, although i have some issues with the production. It's definatly more chilled out then Contraband. But not so much as e.g difference between RHCP's 'Blood sugar sex magic' to 'By the way'. Weilands voice is definatly stronger, and they all seem to gel better and have developed their own sound.
Overall 8/10. For comparison G'n'R's Appetite for Destruction (my fav album ever!) gets 9.5/10. So really good, doesn't quite scale the heights of greatness, but so much better than alot of other efforts. Think this and Bullets and Octane's -
In the mouth of the young are the two best hard rock albums out recently. Definatly Recommended.