Size: 23cm|Colour: Black|Change

on 5 April 2011
The usual great Abus solidity. And it is the highest security rating - 15 - as I had hoped and expected but not (strangely) mentioned in the writeup. Especially effective with one through the frame and one through the front wheel. A good price and a very speedy delivery. Weight is the only drawback but that's the price you pay to keep the loathsome scumbags away (yes - I have had a bike stolen and it REALLY taxed my pacifism)
on 21 November 2012
This is a serious lock and I consider this one of my all time most worthwhile purchases.

They say you should spend about 10% of the value of your bike on a lock. I disagree. You need to consider your personal needs, if you only use your bike at the weekends or for nipping to the shops that's fine but if you cycle in the city, commute to work or (heaven forbid) lock your bike out overnight then you need this lock.
As a deterrent, and a seriously hardcore piece of kit, this could well last you through several bikes, making it a very worthwhile investment.

Of course no lock is impervious and if your bike is locked down a dark alleyway out of sight they'll have time to do their evil.

After losing a bike locked with a cable lock I bought one of these and used it all over central London for years. The worst theft attempt bent the bike frame and back wheel but didn't damage the lock in the slightest.

Highly recommended!
on 19 May 2012
Even Hercules couldn't break this lock, and that is saying something. This is evidenced by the fact that I have used one of these locks daily over the last ten years and my bike has not been stolen ... yet.
on 24 July 2013
I bought this lock as an alternative to the Kryptonite New York. Both are very solid locks however the Abus Granit has a good bracket for securing the lock to the bike. The Krptonite has an absolutely rubbish bracket that leaves the lock dangling from the bike like a saggy testicle. The Abus also has an LED in the key which is a nice touch.
on 8 February 2013
Nearly half the price cheaper than anywhere else, this is a serious lock and it would make more sense for a thief to try and cut what your bike was tethered to than the actual lock. Bought after reading numerous professional reviews online about how secure this thing is, I'm especially happy with the length (23cm, a bit longer than my existing OnGuard shackle) and the weight (which isn't as heavy as I thought).

The one downside is that it only comes with 2 keys, whereas 4-5 seems like the standard nowadays. I nearly gave it a 4 star rating because of this but in all fairness I think that would be slightly unfair.

Remember to clean and lube the mechanism occasionally to protect it from seizing up. This is the main reason why people have problems with sticking keys and it is easily avoidable with a monthly blast of WD-40 and a half-yearly clean with degreaser and a re-lube.
on 6 October 2010
I have recently paid £700 on a new road bike and I am quite keen to keep hold of it! I bought this lock after a friend recommended Abus and I have to say that I am not disappointed. It has the maximum level security rating 15 overall. Thieves have many different methods of sabotaging bike security such as bolt cutting, sawing, drilling, lock picking, ice spray etc. This lock will prevent all of these as well as having anti-corrosion properties. I also have my bike insured and this lock meets the criteria for 99.9% of insurance companies. I use this lock together with the Kryptonite Kryptoflex 7 ft Cable Lock (10 mm x 213 cm) and this also deters thieves and keeps my quick release wheels secure.
The lock comes with 2 keys - one with a light and the other spare. The keys have their own uniques code card. The lock is very simple to use - simply attach the U bracket to the main body and turn the key to secure. It doesn't "snap shut" but it is not difficult to lock and this feature gives it that extra security.
The lock is heavy yes but if you want excellent security then you need to compromise. I prefer to carry my locks in my rucksack whilst riding to work but this is just my preference. It comes with a bracket to attach to the frame but I have not fitted mine.
To conclude I recommend this lock highly. For the price you will not find any better locks out there. Buy it.
on 24 September 2013
Has been tested by thieves in front of my house one day: they managed to cut the plastic wrapping of the U-section and then apparently spent some time trying to saw or cut through the metal. I write 'apparently' because you need good eyes and good light to spot the numerous but minuscule little scratches on the metal. In other words, the lock totally shrugged off that attempt.

Another thing to notice is that the lock still works well although I have left it outside exposed to the weather for more than a year now. The one drawback of the current design is the plastic casing of the locking bar: when my lock falls to the ground the black part of the casing separates from the silver part. Sometimes even the metal bits that form the keyhole cover fall out. This does not affect the security aspect of the lock but is very annoying. My advice is to tape some duct tape around that part of the lock. Exactly this flawed plastic casing, by the way, has been re-designed in the successor version, the Granit-540. The Granit-540 is already available in Germany in some places and should come to the UK soon I would assume.
on 9 November 2013
surprisingly light to carry in back and the slightly elliptical loop makes it a lot easier to get as much of my bike locked as possible. worth the money and the plastic coating ensures the carbon frame isn't scratched
on 20 March 2012
Very secure lock, bracket to attach to a bike worked quite well. However, after 18 months the lock mechanism started to seize. Lubrication with WD40 hasn't helped. Often very difficult or impossible to unlock the bike, or put the shackle back in the lock and remove the key. The bolts that extend to keep the shackle in place seem to be the problem as they get stuck preventing the key from turning. A sharp tap with a hammer, or knocking the lock on a bike rack often releases them (when the key is inserted). Seem to be a few reports on the net of similar incidents.

Both Amazon and Abus have been unwilling to fix or replace.
77 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2014
My only comment is that I bought the longer size and its really a bit too big. The shorter size is more than adequate. The longer size has only proven usefull when locking the bike to a fence. Not a good idea as the fence is much weaker than the lock, but it was the only choice at the time.