4.0 out of 5 stars not bad for 40k
I READ ABOUT THIS MOVIE IN THE PAPER AND THAT IT ONLY COST 40K
Published on 6 Mar 2008 by Darren Channell

1.0 out of 5 stars someone needs to...
...go to film school.
Published on 2 Aug 2007 by don logan

4.0 out of 5 stars not bad for 40k, 6 Mar 2008
Darren Channell "channeld6" (BRISTOL) - See all my reviews
I READ ABOUT THIS MOVIE IN THE PAPER AND THAT IT ONLY COST 40K
I AM REALLY INTO GRITTY FILMS MADE ON SHOESTRING BUDGETS SO I THOUGHT I WILL GIVE IT A GO. IT IS VERY FREE FLOWING WHICH GIVES YOU THE IMPRESSION YOU ARE IN THE FILM THERESSOME WIERD BITS IN IT TOO BUT TO ME THATS PART OF LONDON LIFE AND I DONT THINK ITS FAR FETCHED AT ALL. (I GREW UP IN LONDON)THE SCRIPT I THINK IS GREAT AND NOT OVER DONE AND THERE IS A LOT OF IMPROVISATION. IF YOURE A WOULD BE FILM MAKER OR JUST A MOVIE BUFF NERD LIKE ME YOU SHOULD BUY IF NOT YOU MAY BE DISAPOINTED.
LOOK FORWARD TO HIS NEXT PROJECT WHEN HE HAS GOT MORE MONEY TO SPEND.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 1st outing for a new director, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: Lunatic [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I'm always keeping an eye out for any new British movies, so after reading about this film's director in the The Times I had to give the movie a go.
And I wasn't disappointed, it is quite a raw film in terms of production, but according to The Times it only cost £40,000 so I was actually expecting it to be a lot worse than it actually was, and the acting and long running scenes certainly helped bring it to life. As it's his first movie, I presume the style can only getting better, I look forward to his next film

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping and gritty must see, 12 Jun 2007
Jonathan Mulvihill (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lunatic [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Lunatic is one of the most exciting independent movies I've seen in ages. This is a raw, unflinching look at poverty in modern day Britain. The director drags you into life on a South London council estate. For once a London movie that gives an authentic and believable look at working class life.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 9 July 2007
This review is from: Lunatic [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
A proper piece of work that's come from Pie 'n' mash films. A true representation of the humour and everyday life in working class London. Amazing that's it's all been done and distributed worldwide for just 40UKP!
BUY IT!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars someone needs to..., 2 Aug 2007
...go to film school.
I rented this because I like to give low budget independent filmmakers both my support AND the benefit of the doubt. Sadly "lunatic" is characterised by awful, improvised "mugging" from non-actors, no sense of pace or narrative development and little in the way of style or credible art direction (the opening borstal flashback features tattoos which weren't in vogue until the late nineties and looks like it was shot in a community centre corridor). The only things that are amazing about this are A) that it was made at all and B) that it has been released commercially for an audience to waste its money and time on.
This is the apogee of UTUBE "anyone can make a film" culture - my advice is: if you want to make films go and learn your craft properly.
1 star only because there isn't a 0 star option.

Lunatic [DVD] [2007]
Lunatic [DVD] [2007] by Bill Maloney (DVD - 2007)