on 12 January 2011
Brilliant. Some of the reviews I read made me think that it might be trickier to assemble than it was which made me feel great when it went together so easily. There must be some really incompetent people out there!

Easy to carry out from the dining room to the garage even with the wife screaming at you. Light and stable (the stand not the wife), good frame grip for my mountain and road bikes. Perfect height on maximum for 5'10" man with a bad back. Just need a bike maintenance manual to justify the purchase.
33 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2012
Bought this stand after many, many years of trying to make repairs on my bike while it sat either propped up against a wall or rested upside-down on its saddle and handlebars. Can't imagine now how I ever did without this.

As other reviewers have noted: the pictures do not do this stand justice. (I'll be adding a picture of my own soon)

Make no mistake; this is a serious, solidly built piece of kit, well worth the price I paid for it and more besides.

The stand requires some very basic assembly that takes no more than five minutes. Hoist your bike up and into the clamp (suspend it either by its top-tube or saddle-post, I prefer the latter personally) and you're away.
The clamp can be rotated 360 degrees while your bike is in position, making it a doddle to reach and service all the bits that matter.
The main tube is telescopic, and can be adjusted to the desired height. And here is my only minor gripe: An allen key is needed for this action, when a quick-release lever would make this so much easier to do. Still, not a major problem and certainly not worth removing a star for.

This is a chunky, stable stand that will last you a lifetime if you look after it (and even if you don't!) Highly recommended and utterly indispensible!
on 28 September 2011
I brought this stand for my husband and he's very happy with it as it makes working & cleaning his bike a lot easier, a lot better than bending and crouching on the floor. Quite simple to assemble, a good tip rub a bit of candle on the housing that the clamp spindle goes into as this makes it easier to twist the clamp to another position otherwise the clamp spindle jams when you tighten it. I would have give it 5 stars but a bit pricey, but it's a must have piece of kit.
Recieved within 2 days great service from Amazon as always.
on 18 May 2012
Bicycle repair stands are expensive. I felt that I could not justify that expense and eventually opted for a cheap stand which lifted the rear wheel off the ground for minor servicing. It worked but was a poor excuse for a work stand. However the Park Tool Home Mechanic Stand became available via Amazon at a discounted price and I was tempted into buying. Reviewers heaped praise on it and I guiltily put my order in. After all it is just a bike stand right? Had I done the right thing and spent almost as much on a tool as on my youngest sons bicycle?

The Park Tool stand arrived the next day. Quick! Assembly took about 20 minutes and was easy with tools provided. I was surprised at the forward gait of the stand and that it was lifted forward by the main down tube so that it is supported on three corners. See Amazons photo of the stand. When the stand is lifted the two legs drop so that they stand in line with the main tube. This does make the whole assembly quite long for floor or ceiling storage but very handy for moving the stand through doorways on its side.

With a bike held firmly in the stand I realised why people raved about this stand. It brings a bike to a good working height and allows for the bike to be rotated in a circular arc. The clamp has grooves to accommodate top bar cables and tightens via a handle. A handle at the rear of the stand fixes the whole clamp in position. The construction is bomb proof and even the clamp is well built and very sturdy. The clamp itself provides padding to avoid marks or scratching on the bike. Given that the bike can now be placed upside down or sideways within a 360 arc of movement it really does make repairs, servicing or cleaning an absolute joy. I have used the clamp on a top tube, seat post and down tube on different bikes and it works great with all.
The only negative is that the stand itself will not adjust in height. One still needs to lift a bike into the clamp before tightening. This may prove a poor experience for people with disability or back problems. However this has to be mitigated against the potential problems of not using a good stand. I have found a good working position using a stool and small side table. The Park Tool work tray attachment is a very attractive and worthwhile additional purchase money permitting.

Amazon's provision and service was fantastic. Easy to buy and fast delivery. Great stuff.

So far I have no real reservations about my purchase and delighted to have finally got a stand which has made so many tasks so much easier. I regret having not bought earlier but understandable given that such stands are prohibitively expensive. If you can afford and on the fence then I would suggest jumping down and buying this stand. It is the bees knees and you will love it.
on 13 September 2012
Everything good written above is absolutely true. This is a great product and I wished I have bought one sooner. If, like me you have been hesitating about getting one - then hesitate no longer you won't be disappointed it really is a good piece of kit and folds away easily. If they had only provided it with a easy height adjuster instead of having to use an Allen key it would have got five stars. It's not really that big and issue and there are easy solutions but even for this money it should be there.Park Tool Home Mechanic Repair Stand
on 23 October 2012
I got this workstand at what i consider to be a bargain price for a 'Park' item.
Its fairly solid and robust. The clamp on the telescopic height adjust is plastic which I though may be a bit too fragile but its standing up to plenty of use so far without any problems.
Quite bulky if you need to fold it away to store, the legs do fold straight but the unit is about 6 feet long when they are folded under.
Holds a bike at virtually any angle.
on 23 July 2012
I really wish amazon allowed a half star. I can't give 5 as there is one change I'd make. Instead of using allen keys, I'd like a handle/clamp. It's perfect if you have a work area and can leave it set up, but if, like me, you're storing it away between uses, I'd like the ability to adjust it quicker.

Other than that though, top notch product. I'm stunned I ever managed without it!
on 15 May 2015
Appalling - a triumph of design and engineering over common sense. The legs collapse forward towards you as you lift it - the most counter-intuitive and lazy concept you could imagine. It's very difficult to move around the workshop - just because they gave the design to a 12 year old on a Friday afternoon.

The jewel in this Ministry of Cr@p Design-approved concept is the press-fit tube into which the jaws are mounted. Once you tighten that clamp, it's not going to turn. Great... until you want to revolve the bike a few degrees. Ah, but it's stuck in there with no spring to push it back out when you loosen the clamp. So, it's bike off, mallet out of the drawer and bang the clamp at the back until it loosens off. Just to turn it a few degrees.

A loathsome creature - there are numerous better designs out there for half the money. Shame I fell for the "Park Tools make better products and you get what you pay for" mantra. The final straw was when I almost smashed my £5K bike against the wall, while trying to outwit the clamp revolve mechanism.

Fabulous Amazon service, as usual - they've refunded my card and DHL will collect this piece of junk from my office. I'm reluctant to give it even one star - but that's as low as the rating system will go.
on 4 April 2013
It took me a week to decide to buy this, could I justify the price to my wife or myself.
So glad I bought this item. It makes working on all our bikes an actual joy instead of a chore. We have 6 bikes in the family from 29er down to balance bike and the frame is easily adjusted to fit all at any angle and any size, it is robust and feels it is going to last years. Very easy to assemble and easy to store. Highly recommended. No more bad back or frustration when servicing or mending the bike.
on 20 June 2012
Sturdy easy to assemble and very stable. Durable powder coated finish. The only area where the design is lacking is the rotating head. It consists of a male and female coned assembly which once clamped at the required angle is very difficult to free up to another angle, even when copper grease is applied. This is mainly a problem when being used with various bikes with different angles of support. Better if only used with a single bike.