5.0 out of 5 stars Easier than you can imagine
Brilliant. Some of the reviews I read made me think that it might be trickier to assemble than it was which made me feel great when it went together so easily. There must be some really incompetent people out there!

Easy to carry out from the dining room to the garage even with the wife screaming at you. Light and stable (the stand not the wife), good frame...
Published on 12 Jan. 2011 by Marmiteman

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star is too generous
Appalling - a triumph of design and engineering over common sense. The legs collapse forward towards you as you lift it - the most counter-intuitive and lazy concept you could imagine. It's very difficult to move around the workshop - just because they gave the design to a 12 year old on a Friday afternoon.

The jewel in this Ministry of Cr@p Design-approved...
Published 1 month ago by Bejam

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars You might need a 3/8 unc tap!!, 23 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Park Tool PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand (Sports)
After allot of searching around I found this stand for best combined price (stand & Free postage) with Amazon,
It arrived spot on Time and looked well made, until I tried to tighten the clamp handle assembly to find that it locked up on the threads before it had chance to lock up the Clamp assembly! The reason was due to the end of the treads being clogged with Excess plastic. Hence the reason that you might need a 3/8 UNC tap to clear the treads.. All being said don't let this put you off the stand because apart from this silly issue I've found it to be a very Sturdy stand and looks the business...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stand, 25 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Park Tool PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand (Sports)
I know it might seem expensive (there are a lot more expensive ones ou there) and your thinking should I really spend that amount on something I may not use that often, I did. But I'm glad I've got it it is so much easier to work on the bike. The build quality is fantastic a good gauge steel tube solid in construction, ok it's not the smallest think when folded, do you want something to fit in a draw or do you want it to hold your bike when working on it? I have a 25 year old mountain bike so it's not like the anorexic carbon road bike of today (I am going to treat myself this Christmas ) and the stand is still sturdy. If you've looked at these stands, you want one, buy one, you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for purpose., 13 Aug. 2012
J. C. Neale (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Park Tool PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand (Sports)
Basically put, this stand is a great quality item, and it does the job effortlessly.

It is strong, stable and lightweight with sturdy construction and components that show no sign of failing under the weight of your bike.
I own a pretty heavy hard-tail mountain bike (Unlike most other MTB'ers, I actually prefer having some 'meat' to my ride) and this copes with it no problem, allowing me to rotate the bike pretty easily while it is suspended (Though it takes some encouragement for the clamp the turn, at first)

I didn't need the stand for anything else than general maintenance : Changing/inflating tyres, cleaning or replacing parts. I was sick of holding my bike against a wall or turning it upside down - This makes it all easy with a lot less effort. I can actually tune and adjust my gears properly.

I can recommend this to everyone who owns a bike and likes to do their own maintenance, or even if you do nothing other than clean it.
It is spot on for the task at hand, and I'm glad I paid a bit extra for this quality product than those 'make do' stands at a lower price range.

As others have eluded to, the only slight niggle is the height bracket is adjustable through loosening two allen key bolts - It's not as convenient as it could be, but to be honest it's not really been an issue for me. In my opinion, the allen key bracket provides strong support exactly where it is needed, so it's not like Park Tool haven't thought about it. I'd rather spend an extra 10 seconds with an allen key than a simple hand turned device right where one metal pole slots into another. Basically, the allen key bracket isn't a problem really, but if it does become an issue for you another reviewer has suggested a means of doing a home fix on it.

In summary: A perfect stand for bike users, wether you are simply cleaning it or building/dismantling one. Makes maintenance much less of a headache and although it is more expensive than other options I would suggest that, unless you want to be disappointed, you go for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Kit!, 8 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Park Tool PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand (Sports)
I'd been struggling for years, propping my bike up while I tried to do the simplest jobs, usually having to kneel, and nearly always having some kind of bike falling over incident, or at best wishing the human had been designed with three arms!

I decided on the Park Tools range based purely on their reputation to begin with. I started researching and discovered that the pricing was aggressive compared to some designs that looked more flimsy - especially on Amazon, which came out about 10% cheaper than all of the big cycling mail order websites, especially taking carriage charges into consideration.

I "winterised" my bike over the weekend - put the guards back on, switched the cassette over to training wheels, got the lights fitted and installed new brake calipers front and rear....all while standing up straight with the bike at perfect working height - a revelation!

The stand is made with some very sturdy steel tubes and seemed to hold the bike effortlessly. Of course there is a little bit of movement when applying some pressure with tools, but given the amount of leverage it's really nothing at all.

My only, incredibly minor niggle is that the height of the stand is adjusted and locked using an Allen key. I'm not the most organised of people and would have preferred a fixed handle or locking knob here... No biggie though - I've glued the key supplied into the bolt, so it works for me.

All in all, thie stand has really given my DIY maintenance skills a confidence boost and has turned what was previously a real chore into a total pleasure.

....I just wish I'd bought one years ago!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars a good buy, 18 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Park Tool PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand (Sports)
Arrived this morning so I had to put it together and try it out. Very pleased - robust, stable and holds the bike in any position. The design of the legs and "feet" looks odd but actually is much better than the tripod type because the weight of the bike is centred over the 3 points of contact on the ground. The clamp jaws are strong, metal with plastic lining. Should last well. Only doubt is over the collar which allow you to alter the height. This is plastic, held by metal screws, so the thread might strip and/or the collar break. Best to avoid frequent adjustments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Repair stand, 30 Oct. 2012
Alan Thomas "Mr T's reviews" (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Park Tool PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand (Sports)
I did a lot of research online looking at the different choices out there. Price was a key factor. Also I am not one to spend hours pottering around with my bike. I wanted a stand that made basic maintenance, cleaning, changing brake blocks and tyres etc. easier. A friend also recommended this stand. I am not disappointed. It's good to have the right tool for the job and this is it. Solid and well made, easy to put together. I enjoy that part of such purchases. You need a little bit of space to store it. Keep that in mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars a sturdy well built work stand, 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Park Tool PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand (Sports)
I've found this to be a sturdy work stand made of good quality tubing & built to a good standard.

I had searched for a workstand that I could use with an electric bike - almost all the ones I found at a sensible price were to flimsy to cope with the weight - but this one is upto the job admirably.

Good points = lots including being very sturdy without being to heavy to move about, height adjustable, wide opening strongly built jaws, easy to use jaws clamp with slot for top run cables, very stable base, can be easily packed back down for storage + built by a Company well known for their top quality Cycle tools & equipment.

bad points = few actually - like most with this type of base you have to remember NOT to trip over the wide spread legs, the release mechanism for rotating the jaws can be very stiff, occassionally still won't fit well with some awkward shaped bike square / rectangular frame tubing - but fits all seat pillars OK.

In all the next best thing to buying a true Professional work stand costing £300 - £500.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Workstand, 1 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Park Tool PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand (Sports)
This is an excellent product and removes many frustrations encountered when trying to maintain any bike. Although relatively expensive given its function if you intend to ride a bike regularly over 10+ years it will I'm sure pay for itself in time saved and ease of use. Although it's not the easiest item to store it is easy to build and take apart if required but you wouldn't want to be doing this on a regular basis - this is the only negative. Overall very pleased and would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stands, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Park Tool PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand (Sports)
This is a very solid stand. Easy to put together. You will need a fair amount of space to store it: the legs fold down, but the stand is still very long. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for working on your bike, 31 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Park Tool PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand (Sports)
After you've taken the parts out of the box, and put them together securely tightening all the parts, you'll have yourself a good strong stand. This enables you to lift up your bike up and clamp it securely, to work on it comfortably with the whole drive train at eye level.

You can be confident that the stand is going to take the weight and not fall over on you, PROVIDED you screw the two bolts that hold the horizonal arms really, really tight.

I think there's a basic design flaw here. These two horizontal arms are only held by one bolt each to let them rotate, i.e. fold, which potentially makes the whole stand liable to tip over.

This could be dangerous. The only way to prevent it from happening is to tighten these two bolts really hard. It's only these two bolts that are keeping the whole thing from falling over.

In fact the concept of "foldable" seems almost meaningless, because to do this you have to go looking for the hex key and spanner, and loosen these 2 bolts every time you want to fold the stand. And then tighten them again the next time you need to use it. This seems to me like a design flaw that could easily be corrected.

Personally I'm lucky to have enough storage space not to need to fold the stand. In fact at some point I'll probably drill 2 more holes through the horizontal arms so that I can add a second bolt to hold each one firmly in place, which will make the stand 100% stable.

Another complaint is about the rotatable clamp. This is good and strong, and will hold the bike firmly at whatever angle you want. But when you loosen the handle to rotate this clamp to your desired angle, you have to unscrew it the whole way. This lets the handle fall off the end of its thread, which is not convenient. In my case the washer also fell off too and rolled away to the edge of my terrace, ending up in a sunken rainwater gutter where I had to go and retrieve it. I think that's another design flaw that could easily have been avoided.

Apart from that, I agree with the previous comments about the price, which seems pretty high for what you're getting: basically a few lengths of steel tubing and a clamp. Maybe the high cost is because the stand has to be imported from the USA.

Nevertheless it's seriously strong and very serviceable. Having tried it out by mounting my bike on it and cleaning the chain, I have to say I'm more than happy with it. I just wish it was genuinely foldable in some quick, easy way that doesn't require tools.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›