5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy this, not Mario Party 8
Published on 7 Jan 2008 by L Delaney

3.0 out of 5 stars Bronze medal!
There's a lot about this game that's great - the number of characters, the coming together of Sonic and Mario, the range of events, the difficulty level, the number of unlockable areas - however, it takes so long going through all the menus and sub menus, intros and instructions, you get about 2mins gameplay for every 10mins spend with the Wiimote in your hand...
Published on 28 Oct 2008 by N. E. Mathers

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy this, not Mario Party 8, 7 Jan 2008
This review is from: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) (Video Game)
My husband and I were reluctant to try this after the bad experience we had with Mario Party 8 - that was supposed to be suitable for ages 3+ but which we could not find many unlocked minigames. The games you had to play to unlock minigames seemed very long and the telly kept shouting and playing annoying music at us and the instructions were like a novel. We felt stupid having to give up on a "ages 3+" game on account of not being able to play it!!

BUT this one was fab! When you start playing, there are already around 10 games free by default. These are varied and creative in the use of the wiimote and nunchuck. I highly recommend getting a nunchuck for all Wiimotes you use for this game.

As you play these games, you begin to unlock the other games very easily and quickly. I especially enjoy the trampoline (by default unlocked), rowing (need to be unlocked) and archery (also need to be unlocked).

We had *such* a laugh playing it and the use of the Wiimote is so easy. Even the kids found it easy to play (although perhaps not to win against the computer since you need to be able to swing the wiimote fast in order to break records... but it's not so bad when you play one another). A group of us aged between 8 and 40+ played it for the entire of NY's eve and NY's day and did not tire of it. The adults read too much into the instructions and wound up initially confused. Our 8-year old did not read anything but went on instinct and smashed the world record for javelin throw!!

I would not say this is "ages 3+" but perhaps 5 onwards is fine. Highly recommended. There must be a reason that even used ones (not many, mind) are going for £40ish on eBay!

P/s be prepared for your arms to ache...

5.0 out of 5 stars controls difficult? My four year old can do it!, 14 May 2008
T. J. Smith "Tim" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) (Video Game)
This is an excellent game. There is huge variety in the games; they are innovative and varied. The graphics are excellent as you would expect. More events unlock as you play the game more which increases its longevity.

Some other reviews complain about the complexity of the controls. This surprises me as my children (aged four and seven) can both manage to play it very well. They have both successfully won several gold medals and broken many world records, so if they can manage it I should think anybody could (if they could be bothered to read the instructions which are presented before each event).

Overall, it's an excellent game. As with many Wii games, it is definitely geared towards the younger gamer, and it hits this target market very well.

Just be careful, it can be very exhausting! You'll need the stamina of an Olympian to keep up with the kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mario & Sonic at the Olympics Games - Super Fun, 20 Nov 2007
Darren Wann "nessfrosty" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) (Video Game)
This game is super fun for all the family, easy to understand controls, using the Wii's remote super motion sensor to its best.
You get to choose any one of 16 Mario or Sonic characters to try and win different olympic events, from 100m sprints to single rowing.

You can also get your Mii created for Wii Sports in the action as well, playing as him or her against sonic and friends or mario and friends.

This is a superb game for any age, young or old, all the family will enjoy it, single or mulitplayer (better with more I say).

Get it for xmas, if not before.

Five Big Stars and two thumbs up for this one

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 1 April 2008
This review is from: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) (Video Game)
This game really does bring the wii to life, its like no other game i have played before, forget the gym ive had the game now for about 2 days and i have played on it so much my arms are aching, the athletic games really do work you and does really work up a sweat, a clever thing that the makers have put into this game is loads of information about the 2008 beijing olympic games, the fun thing about this is to unlock this information you need to play some fun short games, one of my mates recommeded this game to me and now i can clearly see why, i would recommend this game to anyone well done nintendo 10/10

3.0 out of 5 stars Bronze medal!, 28 Oct 2008
N. E. Mathers "Nick Mathers" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) (Video Game)

Some events are really hard to master - I still can't get the hang of the swimming - while others are too easy - 100m sprint is so simple it's boring.

The graphics and audio are all very good, and the interaction on most events is pretty good - but there's no instant gratification and no great fun. For pure gameplay, Wii Sports is better.

So should you buy it? well yeah - if you've the dedication of an Olympic athelete.

3.0 out of 5 stars Preferred Wii Sports, 8 May 2009
Katrina-UK (Stockport, Cheshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) (Video Game)
I rented this, and didn't buy it thank goodness. I personally think Wii Sports is a lot better than Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games. I think kids will probably enjoy this game more than adults because of all the characters from previous Mario & Sonic games, but I found this game was more to do with pressing the correct buttons at the right time, rather than just interactively playing the sport.

You have a choice out of different sports and circuits such as swimming, trampolining, long jump, archery, clay shooting, table tennis, rowing. Although be aware, like I said before, its more to do with pressing the correct buttons as fast as you can rather than playing the sport. To give you an example. Rowing - Instead of just rowing with the proper actions to win the race, you were presented with button combinations you had to press as fast as you could (e.g. A+B, B+Z etc) to make you go faster (aswell as moving the nunchuck & controller backwards and forwards). Also I didn't find the table tennis very accurate in sensing your movements. For instance if a ball was heading towards the left and you needed to do back hand to hit it, you could just bat normally and you would still hit the ball!) I found the Wii Sports much more sensitive in sensing your movements, and was much more accurate and life like.

Personally I prefered Wii Sports as you actually play the sport like you would do out in the real world - tennis, golf, baseball, boxing, tenpin bowling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Dec 2007
Ak Skovborg-hansen "Hansen" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) (Video Game)
After playing Wii Sports to death with the missus, it left like time for a change. - Mario vs Sonic does not disappoint.

The mini games are brilliant and can be very frustrating the first time you play, but this merely makes you play more until you can master them.

The skeet shooting is so addictive and after doing a 4 X 100m relay, your arms do need to be surgically attached back to your body!

Must buy for Christmas so at least it feels like your burning off those extra sprouts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantabulous multiplayer. V. Good single player, 19 Aug 2008
This review is from: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) (Video Game)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is an amazing game. Multiplayer is by far the best part of it.
Theres also such a varied number of games. Usually there are 5 of us playing and we're all good at different things so no one feels left out. Single player is not quite as good but still very fun.
I don't understand how people find the controls difficult. Theyre really easy. And I love the way swimming strokes are different for each character. Me and my best friend love doing the swimming relay together, and it was fun trying out each character to put the fastest in our relay.

All in all I REALLY RECOMMEND this game

5.0 out of 5 stars Got to have it!!!, 27 April 2008
This review is from: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) (Video Game)
This is a great game and got me into Olympics alot more. Now I want to see every event in the games!! Anyway, back to the game...Haven't played Circuits or Missions yet, but have played Single Match mode, which is the normal playing mode. Brilliant graphics - clear and bright. Instructions on how to use the wii remote or wii remote and nunchuk are very clear. A wide variety of games on there, but there's a twist - a good one! When you get an extra good score on a game, you unlock a new Circuit and a new game in Single Match mode. This basically gets you more things to do on the game. Discovered this game from a freind and we were on it all night!!! Lots of Mario and Sonic characters to choose from for each event. The characters are separated into these catagories: Power Type, All-Around, Skill Type and Speed Type. Try out different characters for each event, see which one works best for you. I've found that Daisy is best for swimming, Sonic is best for running, Peach is best for High Jump, Bowser is best for Hammer Throw, Blaze is best for Trampolining and Mario is best for the Dream Race. I've still yet to uncover the rest!!!

SUMMARY
I'd reccomed thoroughly that you get this game. It's fun for the whole family and it keeps you extra fit.

Thank you for reading this review. I hope it had been useful to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Game !!!!!!!!!, 12 Dec 2007
Master N. S. Nathvani (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) (Video Game)
Wow, this game turned out to be WAY better than I expected. I mean, the Mario series was fantastic, and the Sonic series was brilliant too, it's good to see that fusion of the two transferred so well. The games themselves are really fun and they were way more challenging than I expected. Plus the world rank feature is really cool, it's great being able to see everyone you've beaten...and lost to too. And the dream races are amazing, I only unlocked one but even the one I did was enough to keep me entertained for hours, even on the single player not to mention all the games that are standard for the Olympics. I was wondering how they'd use motion controls for all the events and it turned out to work as smoothly as Wii Sports did. The games feels so natural and after a while you'll start to realise the skills you need to play like the swimming which is immensely fun, especially how the swimming controls vary per character. The mission mode is loads of fun too, like the normal games, but with certain tasks such as "Beat Knuckles in Archery" and so on, good fun. The AI is fairly good too, enough to entertain you for hours on the single player, and the multiplayer is really good because all the games are playable without the nun-chuck too. All in all a pretty damn good game, can't think of much to criticize. Would definitely recommend this game!!!!!!!!

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)