4.0 out of 5 stars Not that Jim White..., 6 Aug 2007
This review is from: You Follow Me (Audio CD)
To clarify things first, the Jim White on this record is the drummer for the Dirty Three, not the other guy. Hence the drums are mixed high... And, for me, this stripped down sound works very well.

This album is as fine a collection of songs as Nina Nastasia ever puts out, although probably just not *quite* as good as whichever of hers is your favourite... But it's particularly worth having for Late Night and a new version of Our Discussion, previously recorded with Boom Bip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nina Gets Beaty!, 4 Oct 2007
S. Smith "sitorimon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: You Follow Me (Audio CD)
Nina's music is always stripped down and bareboned. Here its just her whimsical voice, her minimal guitar playing and Jim White bringing drums to the mix. I have to say bringing in drums on every track works and I think this is Nina's most up-tempo album to date.

Don't misunderstand though, this is still a dark and sullen album. "I've Been Out Walking" is bitterly sore and desperate, as is "I Write Down Lists" with its random drum freakout solos while Nina whails. "The Day I Bury You" grows and grows to a minimal climax which I know sounds like a paradox but when you've only two instruments its as much of a manic climax as you can get.

Does the concept get in the way of the music? I dont think so - but then I'm used to Nina's bare boned ways. I'd recommend starting elsewhere if its your first record of hers (The Blackened Air) but this is still an excellent record.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 3 Jun 2012
Gary Howchen "No Turn Unstoned" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Follow Me (Audio CD)
Nina Nastasia is my favourite female singer songwriter so I am biased in the extreme here. Nervous, modest and sometimes seemingly uncomfortable live, she sings with her whole body on record like Peter Hammill's long lost sister or a troubled relative of Suzanne Vega.
This album comes in a bit short at well under 40 minutes, was released as a companion to the excellent "On Leaving" and at first sounds ill-conceived as its protagonists appear to have been working on two different projects over the first five tracks.
Nina seems to be in one room while Jim White is rehearsing next door until the opening bars of "In the Evening" where the whole thing comes sharply and suddenly into focus. "Late Night" is similarly immediate and sticks in the mind until repeated listening makes the other tracks morph into a satisfying whole where every drum beat, scratch, clatter and silence are intentional and well placed.
The closing song "I Come After You" is the song Nina was born to write and makes Dylan's "Positively 4th Street" sound almost complimentary by comparison; a scathing world weary dismissal of a philandering partner searing with contempt, frustration and disappointment whilst implying that it was entirely predictable.
Exceptional indeed.

You Follow Me
You Follow Me by Nina Nastasia (Audio CD - 2009)