Price:£46.32 - £104.67

UPDATE - Autumn 2015. Both pairs still fine. Worn every summer holiday but, recently, both pairs worn for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Still look new. Again, I've been careful and have not smashed them in mud or in the sea - sepecially now I've looked at the recent prices! I think they are 3 or 4 beach seasons / years old now.

INITIAL REVIEW - July 2010. Super-comfortable, although perhaps TOO Frankenstein-ish and square-shaped for wearing with your favourite suit. Not being a skater boy, I actually do have a suit. (Apologies to any skater boys and beach bums or surfers who own suits. It's my age.) A work colleague said "Ideal for the beach", although I was planning on non-beach wear. Probably not great in heavy rain, though.

You struggle to go back to what you previously thought were your comfiest shoes. The 'marshmallow' foamy soles mould to the shape of your feet after 2 weeks or so, but they are comfy right from the start. Initial impression is that they're expensive for what they appear to be, but the comfort soon makes up for it. Construction seems good. At first, you think they are badly sewn, then you realise that they have small nicks every so often where the upper meets the sole, to aid the top fitting to the base.

I DO have a slight warning, though. I am a UK size 11 (10.5 if I am buying Clarks shoes). These fabric Sanuk UK size 11s (USA 12s) are slightly tight on the toe, so slightly annoying. AFter a few days' wear, still the same. Liveable-with, though.

However, I have a very, very similar pair in grey cracked leather (they call it black). The sole size is identical, but the leather version is much comfier from that point of view - and that's right from the start, before they stretched in any way from wearing. They are now actually a little loose. (UPDATE - the canvas pair now have a rounded left foot and a pointy right foot - but maybe I have a never-noticed-before giant right big toe! Not a deal-breaker, unless you're OTT with your OCD.)

Style point - as the soles have an 8mm-ish sticky-out raised, curved ridge all the way round, your feet can look quite big in them.

The leather version easily survived 2 weeks tramping round Greece. (But I did not trial them anywhere too sandy or wet. I'll wait until they are older.) The 'shabby chic' frayed look works better with these fabric styles than the less frayed leather styles.
I would buy again. In fact, I did, obviously, which is why I have leather and fabric versions. If they fall apart, I will update the review.

UPDATE - still fine after tramping round millionaires' playground Skiathos for a few summer seasons. I can't see Kate Moss (Skiathos visitor) wearing them, but entrepreneur Philip Green (Skiathos visitor) and his $$$$$ yacht probably does (no, his yacht doesn't wear shoes, you know what I mean) - and now they do a new boat-shoe-style version. The keyboard guy out of Mamma Mia was probably wearing them when they filmed him for his 3-second appearance. Amanda Seyfried probably wasn't; nor was The Streep. Pierce Brosnan and Julie Walters probably were wearing Sanuks 18/7. I think I've invented a new party game. The jury's out on Colin Firth.

The brand tagline is something like 'These are not shoes... the sandal that thinks it's a shoe.'
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2012
You know those words that describe things - not really a word - well it's one those words I have to use to describe my Sanuks . . . Comfy . . . They are just so comfy. For casual wearing not formal. Shorts, jeans, chinos (do chinos still exist?). I buy one size bigger than my shoe size. I get frequent comments on them and people even ask to try them on. As a man too old to carry off the surfer look these help me feel cool . . . And Brad Pitt has a pair . . . But most of all they are so comfy.
on 27 May 2015
Bought these as a replacement for a pair from last year which I had worn constantly. Bought the same size as last time but these seem slightly tighter. I'm hoping they'll loosen up as I wear them. The next size up would, I expect, be too big.
It seems to be a common theme nowadays that buying the same size in the same product does not guarantee the same fit.Re
on 16 September 2012
I wear these to work (bar/restaurant) and my feet are always mad comfy. In fact they are easily the most comfortable shoes I have (these are actually my 4th or 5th pair).

They are smart enough to fit in to "smart casual" but, obviously, not formal dress.

You may want to spend 40 seconds with a black permanent marker colouring in the seam, though. This smartens them up a bit as well.
on 28 October 2014
I suppose the styling isn't to everyones taste but these have been worn with jeans in business meetings of shorts at the beach. I prefer them without socks and have never felt sore or experienced and rubbing.
on 3 November 2014
"fit as expected" only after changing them.The sizes are odd, I'm a 10 and only 11 will fit.
But they changed without hassle and now have the most comfortable shoes (sandles) on the market.
on 27 June 2012
A friend of mine has a pair of Sanuks, and told me they're the most comfortable shoes he's ever worn! So i ordered some. He was not wrong at all! they really are that good! 10 out of 10.
on 13 July 2013
Great shoes. This is the second pair I have purchased for my better half. First pair we got in Fuerteventura..........they are fab great for this hot weather we are having......
on 27 July 2015
If you have never owned a pair of these and think flip flops on rugby players look gay, just buys these. Not only do you swerve the footballer look, they are really comfy!
on 19 August 2015
Super comfy and a good fit. I actually use these as slippers as they don't stretch over time and are a bit more stylish than the usual M&S rubbish.