4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, very well for a first generation phone
Normally the first generation of a product is a disappointment, but the 3088 is not.

The phone is a nice enough phone if you are used to DECT cordless handsets, installation is a doddle, just plug the ethernet cable into your broadband connection (you will need some sort of router if you don't already have one, and want to use your computer at the same...
Published on 22 Dec 2006 by Simon Taylor

1.0 out of 5 stars Phone failed when uploading firmware
Like one of the previous reviewers I was excited with the prospect of this technology. However in the first week I decided to upgrade the firmware as per instruction manual. Upon completion the display went blank and stayed that way. RTX Dualphone support was less than satisfactory, sent me the std. email. Turn it on/off then when the screen reads..... Did they bother to...
Published on 29 Jan 2010 by W. Moffett

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 20 July 2009
This review is from: RTX DUALphone 3088 for Skype (No PC Required) (Electronics)
Like others, I bought this phone based on the good reviews, but because I lived abroad, wasn't able to return it when it went wrong soon after purchase. I cannot figure out what the problem is but as soon as you take it off the handset to make a call, it drops out, so presumably the handset doesn't charge properly. I've moved back to the UK and am giving it a second chance but that hasn't helped - it's sitting on my desk making an annoying double beep noise. Do not buy this model!

5.0 out of 5 stars Firmware Update has worked!!, 16 July 2007
RTX have resolved the poor sound quality issue with there latest firmware update. The initial teething problems look to have gone - with the release of additional handsets as well this product has gone right back to the top.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the wifi alternatives, 18 Sep 2008
Paul Smith (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
I'm buying these phone to give to customers and after using the Belkin and Netgear wifi phones with great dificulty this is a breath of fresh air easy to setup and use. Excellent call quality compared to the above mentioned wifi phones and still wireless. I have had 1 faulty phone so only 4 stars instead of 5. I have bought 12 of these in the last 3 months and are Definitely the best skype phones I have used.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but poor sound quality so ultimately no good, 23 July 2009
M. Finch "M Finch" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these to use on Virgin Broadband and connect to my router. I signed up to a Skype monthly subscription to include all UK land calls. Unfortunately, despite trying to call a number of land lines through Skype, all the calls were terrible. Either I couldn't hear a word the other person was saying, or they could not hear me.

I hoped that this was just a Skype problem, but when I trying making and receiving land calls, although it was clearly better, and possible to hold a conversation, the sound quality was very poor. Very muffled, even in comparison to my 7 year old Panasonic DECT phone.

So ultimately very disappointed, as on paper it would be ideal for my needs, but in use it just doesn't deliver, so I have returned mine. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars DUALphone 3088 For Skype cordless phone, 6 July 2007
J. F. Deeks (UK) - See all my reviews
I have had both a 'DUALphone 3088 For Skype cordless phone` and a 'SMC WSKP100 Wi-Fi Phone For Skype` in use for over three weeks now, working on separate Skype accounts, and would find it hard to fault either product. Both phones are of course types which are used without having a computer on. The DUALphone is like a cordless landline phone permanently sitting in its own charging cradle and its separate base station needs a spare ethernet connection on your modem or router. The SMC Wi-Fi phone, for which you need to already have a wireless router on your internet connection, is more portable and is very much like a mobile, needing recharging from time to time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product... just the one thing missing though!!, 6 Jan 2007
S. Evans - See all my reviews
I was suprised at how simple this was to install and use... it practically demanded to be set-up as soon as it was plugged in. Both the landline and skype functionality were set-up in seconds and the call clarity is good (although I haven't used it that much yet, so it could be too early to tell). The only disappointing thing... and something that DualPhone do not mention... is whilst there is an answerphone service (through Skype), there isn't any answerphone functionality within the DualPhone itself. Therefore any landline calls will not be given the option of leaving a message.

1.0 out of 5 stars Device was faulty upon arrival, 26 Jun 2009
Gerry Vaughan - See all my reviews
I ordered, and returned, this product very recently. I was rather excited when it arrived as it looks lovely and has good specs. However the handset and base station would not sync at all at all. After searching on google for a fix I discovered that RTX closed down their own support forums and the only place to get any decent help was the Skype users forums.
These devices are notorious for being faulty or braking after a firmware update.

My advice to anyone would be to wait until newer technologies arrive, or else thoroughly research this product before you buy as you might have to deal with some issues after a couple of months use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Software and then hardware problems, 26 Feb 2008
I found this phone easy to set up and it worked as advertised. Then I was offered and accepted a software (firmware) update and the features and quality of the sound was degraded. A further 3 updates improved some faults but created new ones. Eventually the firmware problems were fixed, but now the handset ring function has failed. Not good in a phone which is only around 2 years old.

However, the Dualphone support people replied to my ring problem notification via e-mail within 24 hours, which is good.

They advised resetting the system and then replacing the handset in the charger. If it did not beep twice when replaced, then I needed a new phone. Apparently I need a new phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality phone, 28 Sep 2008
J. Hall (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this Dualphone 3088 for Skype last year. I absolutely love the concept; that you can use it as your standard phone (for landline) and as a Skype phone (for long-distance). However, this phone is just absolutely rubbish.

After about a month, the speakerphone stopped working (literally, the phone would power down if I hit the speakerphone button). Then, the ringer stopped working completely. It has serious troubles charging up (even when I replaced the chargeable batteries). At this point, I can't use it at all, because when I take it out of the receiver, the power dies and the phone goes dead.

One more problem with this particular model: there is no answering machine. So when you use this for your primary landline phone, there is no way to record incoming messages (except, of course, if you pay for the Skype answering service which is something like £5 / month, and may not actually work with landline phone calls).

I'm going to buy a new cordless phone to use Skype (I love that you can walk around the house and make *cheap* long distance calls!), but I'm definitely not buying a DualPhone replacement. Until the technology improves, I think it's worth it to keep a separate phone for Skype and the landline (especially for the answering machine).

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 7 Aug 2009
RTX DUALphone 3088 For Skype (No PC Required)

Not the greatest, but the only non-pc skype phone I could find at the moment. Netgear one much much better, but I couldnt find one.

RTX Customer Service is shocking.

Sounds ok, signal strength very good in my house, good loud ringtone, feels fairly clunky to operate.

Does the job, and to a decent enough standard, but not outstanding.

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›