5.0 out of 5 stars Mature but accessible
I can understand why Release The Stars has disappointed *some* of Rufus Wainwright's fans. But I suspect they may be resentful that he has tried to produce a more popular style of music. With admittedly only a week's acquaitance, I have enjoyed this album more than any of the first four.

His last studio album, 'Want Two', was a niche record for a loyal...
Published on 20 May 2007 by BobOxford

3.0 out of 5 stars release the second generation wainwright
I am a great admirer of this guys Mum and Dad - particularly his Mother and Aunt -the wonderful mcgarigle sisters. The boy Rufus is a good act BUT he is very monotoned and (dare I say it) is becoming boring. An entertainer of this unquestioned quality needs to break out of his straight jacket (no pun meant) and be more upbeat about life the world and himself
Published on 31 Dec 2009 by Mr. D. J. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars I so much wanted to like this, 4 Nov 2008
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
I so much wanted to like this CD. I have listened to it several times,and tried to get something positive out of it. I have failed . Track after track of self indulgent meowing. Absolutely awful

2.0 out of 5 stars A little less sophistication, a little more action..., 16 May 2007
Mr. T. Knowles "tony moles" (great britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
I don't want to seem too down on Rufus, one of my favourite songwriters, but this seems to be his weakest offering by a fairly long chalk. Perhaps I've had too much of a good thing, but never has his voice droned on quite so much, never have his orchestral accompaniments seemed so inappropriate, and never have his lyrics seemd as egotistical as on 'Release the Stars'.

I consider this a far less subtle work than 'Want', with much of Rufus' sensitivity shrouded by enormous orchestrations which are very loud in the mix. The melodies are strong as ever, but the arrangements are simply too dense, and upended by some rather cheap sounding drums and electric guitar. A little less sophistication and a little more taste would have been very welcome! 'Want Too', 'Poses' and 'Rufus Wainwright' have a lot more to offer, in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a disappointment, 26 May 2007
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
After his last two albums, Want One and Want Two, I was prepared to shout the man's genius from the rooftops. No-one else was coming anywhere near the breadth and complexity of his orchestrations and lyrical content. And the best thing was that there was such diversity, with Want Two encompassing a different musical style in almost every track.

By contrast this latest album is almost one paced, and a slow and depressing one at that. Where is the soaring grandeur? I really hope that people coming to his work for the first time do not judge him on this. Believe me, the man can make your soul soar, but this (even after several listens in the hope of improvement) leaves me feeling totally deflated.

2.0 out of 5 stars The sound of selling out, 17 May 2007
Tom432 (Worcester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
Rufus has completely lost his way with this one. He brings nothing new, it is simply a mash up of everything he's done meaning nothing sounds fresh and lovely like his previous work. It's ok for newcomers, but those who own his back catalogue will feel they are on familiar territories when they start to listen.

3.0 out of 5 stars (its not quite) between my legs?, 4 Jun 2007
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
I've listen'd to it a couple of times, and maybe I need a couple more. Its a good album..Should we compare it to the "Wants"?...Maybe not.

Just an observaion, is it my ears or is the production a bit "Grating" (look it up in the dictionary)...anyway I still love Rufus...And I'm straight!! Does he disapoint me?..Not yet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could he be past his peak?, 27 Jun 2007
Boswell (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
It now looks as if Want One is going to be remembered as his masterpiece. This album just misfires. Roll on the Judy Garland tribute

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment indeed, 30 May 2007
Andy Leslie (Llandybie, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
Sorry, but this is not what Rufus' talent should have produced. My expectations were high, but they were not met. An over-produced run-for-the-money.

Similarly lush, buy k d laing's 1995 album "All You Can Eat", which is far superior.

1.0 out of 5 stars Release the barf, 2 Jun 2007
S. L. Alleman "leealleman" (birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
I couldn't be more disappointed. OK, Wainwrights output is not perfect (I didn't like Poses either), but following the brilliance of Want this is just rubbish in comparison. Too commercial, too poppy, and where's the strings, orchestra, etc. gone? awful. Misfire of the year so far

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 3 Jun 2007
Charlie Rose (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Release the Stars (Audio CD)
After the last couple of brilliant records I was a bit disapointed with this one. Hope the next one is better.

Release the Stars
Release the Stars by Rufus Wainwright (Audio CD - 2007)