5.0 out of 5 stars Best iPod Ever, But Beware The Bugs
Published on 14 Sep 2007 by Alan

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware rip off seller
The I pod did not work and we took it to an Apple Shop who also couldn't get it to work. We contacted the seller who was unhelpful and returned it to him by registered mail. We have not heard anything since despite it being several weeks and we have made numerous attempts to contact him.
Published on 27 July 2009 by Mr. Dawson M. Noone

5.0 out of 5 stars Best iPod Ever, But Beware The Bugs, 14 Sep 2007
Alan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB black (Electronics)
The new iPod Nano is definitely the best iPod ever. It offers all the features (and more) of the 5th generation iPod Video, only miniaturised down into an impossibly small size. This thing really is TINY. Width and height-wise, it's dimensions are smaller than a credit card, so you literally can put it inside your wallet! And it's just 6.5mm thick! Holding it reminds me of a Jacob's Cracker, only one that is made of black metal and plays Movies.

One of the biggest improvements of the iPod Nano over the 5th generation iPod Video is its improved graphic user interface and its speed of use. This thing is super responsive, due to the fact that it uses Flash Memory. No slight delays, it whizzes from Cover Flow to playing Movies to playing Games to performing instant Searches on your entire music collection. A joy to use.

Being able to watch full-length Movies on a device of this size is a very NEW thing. Here's a tip. If you convert your DVDs yourself to match the dimensions of the Nano's screen (320x240) and use a low data rate of 300kbps, you can get a 2 hour movie down to just 360MB. So, if you had nothing but Movies on your Nano, you'd have room for 22 of them! If you're a Mac user, the best software for converting DVDs is HandBrake 0.9.0, which is completely free and retains the DVD's chapter markers.

However, it's not all good. The iPod Nano is currently riddled with some pretty annoying bugs, such as Cover Flow covers not appearing and letterbox bars being white. These can and hopefully will be fixed via a simple Software Update. But my advice is, never buy a brand new Apple product immediately. There's nothing cool about paying to beta test a product. Always wait 2-4 weeks to avoid encountering the most major bugs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Video - A genuine reason to buy!, 10 Sep 2007
Alberto Frog (The grim North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB black (Electronics)
Picked one of these up on the High St. today (Apple Store) & I am very impressed.
Had been holding off buying an addition/upgrade for my old 3gen Ipod which still works OK until Apple were able to offer me a reason to get another.
I wanted video playback but couldn't justify a new full size Ipod - so was delighted when video available on the new Nano.
Very small & compact - less than the size of a credit card but approx 3 times as thick.
Spilt screen / Cover Flow & Battery Life all very slick & impressive.
Only slight doubt is it worth an extra 30 for the 8gb - Maybe not I've encoded 3 full length films (using Clone DVD mobile) & have uploaded 300+ songs & still have 4gb free - How much media do you actually need for a holiday / train journey / flight etc?
Highly Recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Went for the Nano over the touch 1st gen., 24 Sep 2007
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB black (Electronics)
I was going to get the ipod touch, (in fact had it on preorder).

Then saw the reviews for the touch coming in and along with my tech guilt of spending 270 for a measly 16gb, as well as the toss of the coin whether or not you will get a decent screen, I opted to save my money for the next version of the touch, which will hopefully have 32gb and a decent screen sometime in the new year.

So to maintain my apple fix, I plumped for the 8gb black nano, I came from a 5g 60gb ipod, which i watched a ton of video on, so that was a deal breaker - but the screen on the nano is thankfully superb, 3 times more brightness, and with the new UI, and less that a quarter of the physical mass. I feel I am actually gaining over my previous 5g ipod even though the screen was bigger.

Why didn't I go for the iPod Classic, mainly due to the fact that all I would be gaining would be more storage and the new UI, physical size, etc would be the same.

But after a lot of playing between the nano and the classic, the nano just felt better in the hand and the new interface was a lot snappier, due to the fact that it has flash memory over the Classic's Hard Drive.

The capacity for me isn't an issue, as it sees my mac at home daily to sync, and with some clever use of playlists, the nano swaps out TV shows or music I have watched and loads up what I haven't, so I am not losing anything by having a smaller size iPod.

The other thing that the nano has over the touch is a physical button, as much as I know I will drool over the touch, not having an ability to control volume or skip to the next track while the ipod is firmly ensconsed in my pocket is a big deal.

Also, the screen on the Nano is a lot more discreet than the touch or even the classic. If I am watching an adult show such as 'Sopranos', Dexter', etc, its an awful lot easier to watch that cupped in your hand with the nano rather than the touch which could potentially send the old dear behind you on the train into palpatations while your watching blood and guts on your larger screened device.

So I'm delighted with the Nano, at the price it was a no guilt purchase, its perfect for me right now, if a bigger touch comes along with a guaranteed screen - great....if not i'm happy with its little brother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Jan 2008
Mr. M. Williams (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB black (Electronics)
Having never owned an iPod before and being quite content with previous mp3 players, I was unsure as to whether it would be worth the outlay.
I took the risk (8Gb nano) and so far,I have been delighted. The screen is very bright which makes the objects on screen clearer. The sound quality is very good and using iTunes was not a problem. I don't see how you could struggle with this iPod or the software. To put video onto the iPod you will needto convert the video files but this only takes a few moments(I haven't converted a large file yet so it remains to be seen) and is then stored in the videos folder on iTunes.
Definetly recommend this product to anybody and will probably stay with the iPod range

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, easy to use, best iPod yet, 25 Sep 2007
D. Lundholm (The Chalfonts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB black (Electronics)
This was a belated birthday gift as my old iPod mini - which has given me 3 years of service - and still works albeit battery life is about 30 mins - was due for replacement.

It comes inside a beautifully packed little case, not much bigger than a matchbox on steroids. You get the iPod, quick start leaflet, warranty, USB to charger jack and a pair of Apple's (not brilliant) earbud phones.

Because I had an existing dock - albeit one 3+ years old - I was able to slot it on directly. My up-to-date version of iTunes recognised the new iPod directly, created a new "iPod 2 list" and asked me one question whether I wanted to sync it. With one click, I put more than 1000 songs and a selection of recent podcasts on it. It charged up in under one hour. So damn easy.....and the fact that it works in my dock, my old sounddock and with my iTunes library - with literally one click - is a testament to Apple's thinking about using design to improve the life of their customers.

The device itself is tactile - with its black cover and metal back - and oh so light in your pocket.

So why not 5 stars : as has been commented, there were initially no cases or screen protectors around. But, editing this in December 2007, now there are. But I do think the volume levels on it are a little lower than the older iPod mini. So speech is a bit harder to hear on public transport - but I am slightly deaf in one ear!

Yes, the battery will run out. But given that I can buy an 8gb device a tiny fraction of the size of the iPod mini (which has 4gb)at much lower cost than the $249 I paid 3 years ago, is more than progress enough for me. It's outstanding consumer design, and worthy of your hard-earned .

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be slightly better, 6 April 2008
Mr. A. Hurst "Rickenbacker Al" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB black (Electronics)
This is the best small MP3 yet, it can hold millions of photos and music and is very helpful as a personal organiser but ofcourse somethings do have their downsides. For people who like to store everything on their Ipod that they have such as videos, movies it is not that great even with an 8GB it is still to small for me. Also after 3 months of use it froze which began to frighten me a bit as I had owned it for only a small amount of time. Apple do not provide regular updates very often as I have had 2, the first being: 1.1 and the second being 1.2 with a distance of 2 months and will probably never receive another update again as of the slow speed Apple take to create new updates. Other than that the Ipod Nano is a great MP3, with long battery hours on Music and reasonably long with videos, The screen being of High quality for Images it is the best yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars User Friendly, Compact, Easy to Use.......maybe?, 9 Jan 2008
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB black (Electronics)
Here goes, Just like the iPod Nano, quick easy and simply, this is my simplistic review in favour of the iPod Nano.

Good Points:
- Bright Screen
- Album cover flow, nice touch and works well**
- Plays Videos well and is easy to use, although upload is mentioned further down
- Small, discreet, and light, be careful you still have it in that pocket though lol!
- Photos, can store many albums and acts for me as a backup, should by Laptop die perhaps.
- Apples assured build quality, this is a tough and sturdy little device, sit on it, and chances are it will never snap in half, no matter how wide somebody may be.

Bad Points:

- Scroll wheel is too sensitive for some
- Converting Videos to the iPod Nano is difficult if not purchased from the less than perfect iTunes webstore :(
- iTunes is again notoriously difficult to use, if like me a full time 1st user, it can be damned frustrating and different than other medi interfaces in places (Note: Only the Latest iTunes will work with this Nano, so be mindful and download from the website before hand, otherwise it will not work at all).

In Summary: Thet are bound to be bad points, but if you are buying this for another person who has never had and iPod before, they will long for nothing but in the future for their music collection i'm sure, if you are upgrading, the iTunes download and interface is a major concern for many people, I personally found it ok, not great but not that easy to navigate and use at times, but once mastered, it is good and the Sync fuction is just simplicity at it's best.

Overall the Nano is a nice small little player, ideal for music, ok if you like watchng videos on something so small, and a useful backup for pictures, easy to use, and once mastered, the fiddly little scroll wheel that requiers nothing more than the tiniest touch to move will get easier with time.

A worth while purchase, Cheaper than other iPods such as the Touch, Classic and Phone, below this is the Shuffle and isn't really worth looking at as a good player.

**The Album cover flow is touchy and quite fiddly to use, also iTunes will not always in many cases get the album art to fill the menu with the images of your favourite bands and artists, I personally and very methodically copied and pasted using google images to insert them all in, which takes many hours dependant on the size of your music collection, I feel this to be a maajor letdown but if like me you can be patient and thourough you will learn to love this iPod nano.

-pierre-

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little piece of kit, 28 Nov 2007
Gogol (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB black (Electronics)
I bought this new ipod after having the old 4gb version (plays 1000 tracks) and wanting to upgrade to this version seeing as it holds double that.

Well first off this is ultra thin. I wouldn't say it is breakable (Unless you are just very clumsy) It is a little smaller than a credit card and other than the wider screen is not much different in function than the ipod nano.

While some have complained about the size of the screen (I myself haven't got any films to watch on my ipod and to be honest I bought it for music only) I found the screen due to its increased size easier on the eye and containing some excellent graphics (If you are into that sort of thing) Such as track lists, album covers (Full screen instead of the smaller nano version) rotating pictures and other little nice tricks that if you showed too many people would probably end up with your ipdo being stolen.

The controls are pretty easy to use (I got this rather than the ipod touch due to the fact that it is an all glass screen which would result in a pretty ugly looking ipod after a while full of finger marks and also due to the fact that the controls can be easily used without looking rather than fiddling around with high tech stuff that you really don't need) One thing I have noticed though is that they seem to be a little more sensitive than the nano and if you are looking for a specific track you can end up skipping it and have a frustrating couple of minutes trying to get it to lock on the track you want.

The music quality is excellent and so far so good, I have had no problems at all with mine. I was considering buying a cheaper mp3 player by Panasonic for example but having been happy with the ipod so far I guess stick with what you know. Unless their rivals can come up with something that has equal sound quality, music storage space and troubleshooting then I will stick with the ipod.

Well recommended (Especially if you play it in the car due to the easy to use controls) I would have gone with the 80gb but I had to ask myself do I really need it and as for the touch, I think that's one for the kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please do not listen to people who say it is difficult to use!, 13 Jan 2008
Charles "Charles" (Newmarket, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB black (Electronics)
Firstly - if you aree considering buying one of these - do not be put off by those people who say "it's difficult to use" - or "they dont work". iTunes is one of the most simple interfaces ever - uploading photos could not be simpler (same for videos) - as long as you have some knowledge of how to use a computer.

These are undoubtedly the best mp3 players on the market - and at an incredible price.

If you were put off by the people rating this * and saying that they freeze - i can assure you that they are guarunteed direct from apple for at least one year - and can be returned directly to the apple store = and secondly the amount of ipods that do freeze in this way is tiny, so you would be incredibly unlucky to recieve a non functional one.

I hope this review helped - and good luck with your new ipod nano!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty..., 8 Sep 2007
Lammy (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple iPod nano 8GB black (Electronics)
Just picked this up today in Las Vegas and it is just stunning! I have never been a fan of Apple, but ever since the last iPod Nano they have really started to develop great products. This is EVEN better - the quality of the screen display is great and it is as simple to use as ever.

Well done Apple - I take my hat off to you!

Apple iPod nano 8GB black