4.0 out of 5 stars much improved fitness for size and price
Published on 8 Nov. 2009 by Kylie Ree Dean

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay all round...3/4 stars
The delivery of the item was pretty quick, I was very impressed considering I ordered it over new year. When it arrived, the delivery man was very polite and cheerful (not much to do with the product but I just thought I'd add that).
Published on 2 Jan. 2008 by Gift.Bag

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay all round...3/4 stars, 2 Jan. 2008
Gift.Bag "miss E" (West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confidence 'Space Saver' Elliptical Cross Trainer (Sports)
When I read the other review, I was a bit apprehensive about putting it together...and I was right to be so! If your a bit of a novice at putting things together, like myself, you may need help!
The nuts and bolts etc. were nicely set out in an air-tight package that told you the numbers of the bits, and there were images to help you refer back to what number they were incase you had taken them out of the packaging. This helped alot, but the manual did not. The manual is A4 so you think the text/diagrams would be very clear? Not really. The images were quite small, it was hard to make out what the bits were (e.g. the bolts you needed) There were lots of lines to show where the bits went wich cause the diagram to be rather confusing to follow.
The text was good in that it told you what you needed to do quite well and gave you the numbers to the corresponding bolts and so on. However i was disappointed that the manufacturer must hav been trying to save on paper and crammed the whole putting together of the cross trainer in to 5 STEPS! You get the impression that this means it doesn't take much to put it together! HA! NO CHANCE! Each step consisted of several parts and it became quite tiring having to read the steps several times over in order to get each sequential action done. It took all in all, around 1 and a half hours to get it all up and running.
The cross trainer itself is quite good, it is very stable and as it says, quite compact. The motion is not as smooth as the one I used to use in the gym, I guess becuase it's in pedal format and not spinwheel. It may also vary due to how heavy you are or something. The pedals/foot things move round well but when they get to the top, they seem to jolt a bit (i don't know if this is just the particular one I have ot whether they are generally like this.
I've only had it a couple of days but I'm sure it serves it's purpose well. I'm overall very pleased with it and look forward to losing the x-mas pounds!!! I would also like to commend the price, like the other review said, for such a price you cant really complain.

Notes:
There are no contact details of the actual manufacturer of the item on the manual. The only contact details are the ones on here for the seller.

If the pack of fixtures is open and parts are missing, they are most likely at the bottom of the box, so don't panic! I thought that they were missing, but i was proved wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars much improved fitness for size and price, 8 Nov. 2009
Kylie Ree Dean (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confidence 'Space Saver' Elliptical Cross Trainer (Sports)
The bitterly cold winters and consequent fatty food diet made an indoor exercise solution necessary. We wanted something that would give us a pre-ski-season work out that we could fit in our tiny flat. If you don't want to spend too much money and are limited on space this machine will get you fitter. However the self-assembly and lesser durability than a gym-model may be a deal-breaker for some. I would buy this product again.

Pros: It really is a space saver. It's significantly cheaper than anything we could find in the shops. It will get you fitter.
Over about two months using it, it's made a visible, measurable difference in fitness and weight-loss. The other half can now run twice as long and fast as his other desk-bound workmates. You can keep track of speed, nominal distance, pulse and nominal calories burned with the on board computer. I find I tend to burn almost 100cal with a 25min work out. Just one caveat, the maximum weight we've applied to the machine is about 80kgs and for our respective heights of 150cm and 177cm the machine is comfortable to use. For something with a rear-chain design, the pedalling motion is fairly smooth and it's sturdy enough to use with or without the handles. The pedal tension is adjustable and the computer works. Obviously it's not the same as a gym machine, but that's not what you are paying for. With international delivery we ended up paying about 120euros. It arrived right on time. The assembly was fairly straight forward with diagrams and labelled parts.

Cons: Reportedly difficult to assemble. Can squeak. Circle of motion comparatively jerky.
You probably want to have two people to assemble the machine to get it up and running quickly. The bolts on the pedals are reverse thread, which took a bit of time to puzzle out. Additionally you hooking the tension wire to the pedals requires the adjuster-knob to be at its loosest and again you could probably do with another person holding the upright and someone with tiny fingers hooking it in. Also with frequent vigorous use the five bolts on the upright tend to come loose by the end of each work out and to be honest we've destroyed the thread on one of them so it won't completely tighten now. It can squeak alarmingly when you first hop on. Some people may find it annoying, but we just tighten the bolts before and after a work out. When using the machine some say it kind of jerks a bit at the top of the cycle, but it hasn't bothered me. A small note, not really a con in my book, you really need to use it wearing shoes unless you have rhino feet or something.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother buying this!, 24 April 2011
J. A. Stitt (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confidence 'Space Saver' Elliptical Cross Trainer (Sports)
I bought this item a few weeks ago. As I began to use it I thought nothing of the squeaking, because someone had comment on that earlier, although it was extremely loud! After using it about 3-4 times a week the structural upright is beginning to come away from the main bar at the bottom. If I could I would fix it myself, but the fact that it is welded together means that it's going to be a lot of hassle. I'm no where near the weight limit for this cross trainer and neither is anyone who has tried it. Not happy at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 8 May 2008
E. Price (SE England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confidence 'Space Saver' Elliptical Cross Trainer (Sports)
I bought this on Bank Holiday Monday and it was delivered on the Wednesday - in effect next day delivery. From reading the other reviews, I was expecting to have to do a lot of assembly myself. It is true - there are a lot of parts in the box, but the bolts and nuts etc are really well packaged and labelled so there were no problems with that. It took me, without the help of my boyfriend, in the region of 1-1.5 hours to assemble - with no problems.
The overall size was a little bigger than I had anticipated, but it doesn't take up any extra floor space when in use so is great for my little room. It certainly isn't as smooth as the big posh machines you get in the gym (I didn't think it would be!), but it is perfectly adequate for home use. The build quality seems to be good and it is easy to use.
Overall I'd definitely recommend this machine. For the equivalent of 2 months gym membership, I think it's great. However, as I've only had it a day so far, time will be the greatest test. Hopefully it will last a while!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 11 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Confidence 'Space Saver' Elliptical Cross Trainer (Sports)
I really love this equipment! Never had anything like this before but it's really great!

It's resonably easy to assemble but then saying that i got someone else to put it together for me! It looked simple from where i was sitting though and it all made sense!

I use this cross trainer almost everyday now whereas before i just couldn't be bothered to do exercise because i'm not the most athletic, but i really enjoy using this! It's fun and easy & the gear dial allows you to change the setting so quickly that you can do a whole workout including every different setting!

Its pretty light too! I'm not the strongest women in the world by any means but i'm always pulling it in and out of the front room so i can do it whilst watching TV!
It is fairly small for a piece of excercise equipment however it's not designed to really be put away in my opinion. We've just found a place for it in our house but it's out all the time - which i suppose is good because it means i use it more as it's always available!

It's a little bit shakey so if you really get going it rocks a little bit but that may just be the way i use it and - hey - at least my centre of balance is improving!

Overall i love this equipment, its great value, its fun, its really easy and i deffinately recommend it to anyone whose looking to buy a cross trainer first time!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid avoid avoid, 29 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Confidence 'Space Saver' Elliptical Cross Trainer (Sports)
I paid for this cross trainer but never received it. Instead I received a flimsy exercise bike which I never asked for. I only realised it was a random bike after PAYING someone to help me build it. They told me how badly made it was and it took us a long time to build as the parts DID NOT come close to fitting together as in the instructions. I was already worried at this stage at how low quality it seemed. Then once built it was obvious this was not a cross trainer by any stretch of the imagination. The Sports HQ refuse to give me a refund because the bike has been partially built and can not be reversed. But i assumed what we were building was the item I had paid for, not a random bike, and that is 100% their fault. Where's my refund? Where's my compensation? Where's my cross trainer? This company has already been dragged through the mud on twitter - search for @thesportshq . Amazon should not let cowboy companies like this one use their good name. Very very disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't recommend it, 16 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Confidence 'Space Saver' Elliptical Cross Trainer (Sports)
I was looking for a small piece of sport equipment to do at least any sort of exercises! Cross trainer seemed to be a perfect idea!I also wanted to buy a small one, so it wouldn't take half of my living room.This cross trainer seemed to be exactly the thing I was looking for.
First one came with a crack on the tension control knob, I had it replaced only to find a crack on flying wheel of the second one! I put it together though, to see whether it's worth to order another replacement. And it wasn't worth at all... It is indeed a space saver, but apart of that it's very low quality product. The cross trainer was unstable (and I'm quite small and light - 55kg girl), I wasn't happy with the motion of flying wheel and the tension control wasn't satisfying either. Plus that HORRIBLE, loud squeak coming out from different parts of the cross trainer and no matter how I tried to adjust the bolts it didn't make any difference. I ended up sending it back as it wasn't usable.
I can't recommend it to anyone, but I would advice to spend a bit more money on better quality product which will be enjoyable to use.
I also have to say here that I was very happy with amazon customer support - everything went very smoothly, I had a fast delivery of replacement and eventually a quick refund.

3.0 out of 5 stars Steep Learning Curve ~ Common Sense Required, 20 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Confidence 'Space Saver' Elliptical Cross Trainer (Sports)
Decided to 'go for it' and purchase this item ('Confidence Space Save Cross Trainer) around the time the new VAT changes came in (Jan 2011) and as that was right after the Festive Season and at the start of a New Year I thought this would mark all those occasions rather well...

When it arrived, just within time stated by Amazon
I think I must have panicked as I emailed the seller almost right away asking where the 'missing' parts were!

After not hearing Anything back from them and reading of their poor Customer Service in other reviews on Amazon I decided to take the bull by the horns and get stuck in ... Surely, I reasoned, I was at least as 'able' as those writing the (mixed) reviews ...

Looking back I'm glad I did however, at the time, 'interpreting' the instructions and generally getting it put together turned out to be a roller coaster of emotions ...

Some of the problems I came up against were:
The illustrations in the 'Tool Set' do not match what is actually in the *sealed* clear plastic bag all the 'bits' come in.

The 'Cross Wrench' is not present (although I did get Two Identical 'multi-spanners' And a set of spanners, neither of which are illustrated as a part of the 'Tool Set').

Parts I thought 'missing' (after taking the time to place all the bits out on the floor ) were in fact already 'in place'.

For example the 'spring washer' (part #27 /2 of ) shown as in the 'Tool Set' are actually already attached at each end of the 'axle'(part #26 / 1 of)
which was 'lost' at the bottom of the packaging/box.
(packaging/box was in somewhat poor condition with a large hole where the front (?) (angled part) stuck out).

Among others, the pack of black bolts in the 'Tool Set' are actually parts not 'tools'. They are the important 'Pedal Bolts'(these and the 'axle' are both lightly greased, which proved quite useful).

The 'pedal tubes' (parts #06 R & L) look Nothing like they do in the illustration/'exploded drawing'.

As stated elsewhere on here, one at least of the pedal threads are reversed but as tried attaching them from first one end of the elliptical then the other I had got so confused by this point, I didn't notice this until I had managed to affix them.

Basically a lot of the assembly process comes down to using 'common sense' and a sharp eye to understand in which order to use the washers and such like and a rather strong arm to tighten the bolts (I'm convinced that is why so many of the reviews find things are ''noisy'' or ''falling apart' after a short time of use). The instructions actually say as much at least twice.
If you can understand the basics of why and how nuts and bolts 'work' then you'll be fine(for example, you don't put a round washer next to a square hole or nut-top-end ... they're square at that point for a reason!).

**Please Do Not make the one *major* 'mistake' I made and undo the elastic band retaining the sensor wire ... the elastic band is there for a Very good reason ...

If, like me your sensor wire falls out at this point, you'll need a decent sized sewing needle, some decent longish thread and a look down the 'shaft' the darn thing fell out of so you can see light at the other end and so know where to 'thread' your sensor wire
(I know now what one reviewer meant by 'fishing trips'!).

The 'axle' was / is only inserted with GREAT effort.
It is not IMHO however 'warped' as some say.
It would take a Great Deal of Force to 'warp' such a Strong item ...

At time of writing I have been unable to get the computer monitor/ 'computer' to work when I start using the elliptical only to operate as it does when disconnected. So, still trying to figure out why the wires appear not to have any influence on the computer.

That and the fact that the special bolts (the ones mentioned earlier, that come pre-attached on each end of the 'axle') will not tighten to any where close to where they are supposed to.

That is even after the same Very Strong person who managed to get the 'axle' to fit 100% correctly centered inside the swing bar' has done his very best to tighten them ... they have blue 'thread assists which appear to have been set too short ... Apparently, I am reliably informed, this can be 'sorted' by the use of large nuts, one at each end of the swing bar.

Until purchasing this item I had never even looked at 'self assembly' furniture so, as a first timer, I have to say assembling it turned out to be a Steep Learning Curve however, having completed it, the feeling of achievement and new understanding of things 'self assembly' gained was (she said grudgingly) worth the trouble ...

On the practical side, even with the lose swing bar, I've used the elliptical several times and am up to three whole minutes before these old legs start 'nipping'!!!! (I'm 64) but that time-span is gradually extending so, overall, I'm delight with the *Quiet*, *Smooth* operation of what is a Very basic, inexpensive, manual, elliptical cross trainer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not to be recommended, 16 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Confidence 'Space Saver' Elliptical Cross Trainer (Sports)
Poor quality piece of equipment. Not robust. Extremely difficult to mount. No resistance in use - and fell apart after less than one month.
Really don't recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars could have been better, 13 Feb. 2012
I was very impressed with delivery and eager to set it up and get going. There were how ever a vital bit missing which was part of the actual cross trainer and not the screw set that followed. So I took some photos and sent them over. Again I was pleasantly surprised at the speed of which they delivered the missing part, or so I thought until I opened the package and it contained a screw instead of the bit I needed. So I took some more photos and tried to explain more closely what was missing, a bit hard when, well I won't blame it on me being a woman but I had no idea what the bit missing was called, hence the photos.
The case got furthered on to the parts department and eventually I did get the missing piece.
I was quite happy to finally be able to assemble the cross trainer, but I must admit I am hugely disappointed, it feel flimsy to me, too much movement and the resistance stays the same regardless of where you turn the dial.
The flimsy I can probably sort out myself, but the point is I shouldn't have to. The resistance I'll have to live with.
Oh yes, the on board computer, not the best....It doesn't really make much sense.

I read a lot or reviews before setting on this particular model, I believed I'd done my research. I was wrong.

Confidence 'Space Saver' Elliptical Cross Trainer