4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but Excellent Mount Cutter
Published on 18 Aug 2009 by Robert Groom

3.0 out of 5 stars Pricey product
Does not quite cut to 24"! I also think it was a little pricey for what it is!
Published 2 months ago by Inadee

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but Excellent Mount Cutter, 18 Aug 2009
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Logan Team System (Cutter and rail) - Team System 424 (24") (Toy)
I've been using this mount cutter to frame my photographs for a few years now, and I have to say that it is a pleasure to use. I believe it's dropped in price since I originally purchased mine, but this is the same model - the 600mm (24") long guide and 45 degree cutter. It has a very good non-slip base which helps to keep it in place as you cut, and if you mark out your path on the back of the mount board, you just line up the edge of the guide to one line, start the cutter with its clear, white mark on the perpendicular line at the bottom, and run up to the perpendicular line at the top and voila! You have your first edge cut. Repeat 3 more times, and you have a perfectly cut mount card ready to drop into a frame. Very neat. Very easy to use. My only reservation is that people with limited strength in their fingers - the elderly or people suffering from arthritis - may have difficulty maintaining sufficient pressure on the cutter with just a thumb, which is all the provision for grip that it provides. For this reason alone, it gets 4/5. That said, for anyone else, you really can't go wrong. Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mount cutter, 10 Dec 2010
Easy to use once you have mastered accurate measurement and the techniques.
Be careful to use it the right way round elsewise the bevel is the wrong way. You MUST have an under sheet of card and work on a drawing board.
Works fine to give any size aperture in the mounts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mat cutters, 4 Feb 2011
I bought this rule mat cutter as a spare to my Logan 750. It works very well,& simple to set up. The ruler doesn't slip, but getting the bevelled corners spot on is not so simple as using any proper mat cutting machine. Care is required .Recommend it to anyone starting out in mat cutting or just wants the occasional quality cut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, professional-looking results, 21 July 2013
I know you can pay hundreds of pounds for a mount cutter, so I hesitated to buy one so much cheaper- i wondered if it would really produce good results.
But it does! Right from the first attempt, I was producing mounts which I could use to exhibit my work in public. It's easy to use and produces good quality every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Logan, 7 Jun 2013
Was a little worried that this wouldn't be up to much !, but was really happy when it arrived , it's a basic simple system that's well built and does the job , wanted for mounting photographs, and after a couple of attempts I'm now able to do my mounts quickly and neatly. At the price well pleased .

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BIT OF KIT, 7 Jun 2013
I must admit, I didn't expect much from this because of all the lovely picture mounts out there but the reviews made me try it.
I'm gonna write this review and hope it helps you people out there who are thinking of buying it..
Upon opening the box of which contains the following

1X, Non Slip Ruler "measuring 61 centimeters in length."
1X, Beveled Cutter
1X, Trimming Knife
4X, Blades "1 for the beveled cutter and 1 for the trimming knife and 2 spare".
1X, Instruction Leaflet
"The blades are reversible so you actually have 8, You will know what I mean when you go to install the blades"

When you buy your mounts and have done your measurements on the back of your mount board for the aperture cut out,
"YOU MUST ALWAYS KEEP THE DARK SIDE OF THE RULE TOWARDS YOUR BODY AND MOVE THE MOUNT ROUND IN A ANTI CLOCKWISE ROTATION, (for those of you that have never done this before")
I messed up my first attempt as the bevel was the other way and the boards aren't that cheap when there 16 X 20 size.. Another tip I learnt, was to draw a faint line half way on the vertical and horizontal of your mount and do the exact same on the back of your photo and then when you have your aperture cut out, the lines will match on both the board and the photo so you know exactly where to position the photo and stick it without turning it over which without this method is quite hard to do without having to keep turning it to and fro...and don't throw away the cut out as it can be used for a smaller mount.
Another Tip is to use a piece of Linoleum for the cutter mat, it does the same job.

All In All, Its a great System for professional looking mounts to add the finishing touch to your Photo. 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Logan mountcutter kit, 31 Aug 2013
The cutter and rail work very nicely and comes together with a mat cutting knife. BUT this wasn't made for left handers; the mat knife is unusable for left handers - might just as well throw it away. The bevel cutter and rail can be used by lefties if you clamp the rail but I find myself using my right hand on the cutter. You'll need a strong thumb for this if you're going to cut several mounts though. The index mark on my bevel cutter was out by about 1.5mm which initially caused me to overcut on one side and undercut on the other. Ok once you learn to compensate for this. The blades themselves don't last very long - about 20 mounts each end - any dullness of the blade being quickly evident in slight tearing on the face of the mount. However,the blades are cheap enough I guess. These gripes aside, this kit is a big improvement over my earlier efforts with free-moving cutters and the results look quite professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mount Cutter, 1 Dec 2012
A cheap and practical solution to mount cutting. It is easy to use and it does a great job. I often recut bought mounts to a size
I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of equipment, 26 April 2013
Mr. N. R. Whitfield (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a fabulous piece of equipment, If you have pictures to mount and want a really professional finish then you must buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice, 5 Feb 2011
Yes, I could have got this from a shop - except the nearest shop that carries this product is not at all near. Delivery time was a consideration, but in my experience was satisfactory: I might have found it a little cheaper elsewhere, but the danger of not receiving it for weeks (or even months)was the decider. Good basic product: easy to use, works well for me. I would say: "near professional results" but the "near" may be more to do with my skills than the product! I am pleased with it.