5.0 out of 5 stars Give it time
This is most definetly not the most instantly likeable output from the brothers - I wasn't at all taken when I first bought it. Now having listened to it a few more times it's really grown on me and I'm addicted. Push the button was great but short lived - this seems to be the opposite.
Published on 6 Aug 2007 by The usual suspect

3.0 out of 5 stars You know what you're getting...
The Chemical Brothers have had a remarkably consistent career for a dance act, singles wise at least. Indeed its difficult to imagine a time when there hasn't been at least one great Chemical Brothers single dominating the airwaves.

Published on 31 July 2007 by IWFIcon

3.0 out of 5 stars You know what you're getting..., 31 July 2007
IWFIcon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)

Do It Again may not have been the most outright catchy single they've ever done it was one of those that slowly but surely got under your skin, before lodging itself in your brain.

And in a sense, this consistency has applied to their albums; in an ever changing world you at least know exactly what you are going to get from a Chemical Brothers album, right down to the guest appearances.

This time around we get the likes of The Klaxons, Willy Mason and Midlake. Ironically it's the two collaborations that you would perhaps be the most wary of (Mason and Midlake) that really hit the spot and the one that everyone would have been excited about (Klaxons) that falls flat. Indeed All Rights Reserved merely sounds like the Klaxons, and not one of their better songs at that.

Mason on the other hand steps up to the plate with aplomb for Battle Scars, whilst The Pills Won't Help You Know is perhaps the perfect "come-down" track.

Ironically it's the more straightforward "dance" moments that fall most flat although the absolute nadir has to be The Salmon Dance which wouldn't sound out of place on some CBeebies under 5's show, (if one ignores the lyrics) and as such will probably be a number one hit for weeks.

So all in all it's exactly what you'd expect. Some decent songs, some dreadful ones and a couple of stormers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly weak electro-light for people who don't like dance music - but good in parts, 15 July 2007
Mr. Stuart Bruce "DonQuibeats" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
For a fair few years now the Chemical Brothers have been a dance act for people who don't like dance music. As I write this, Amazon says "customers who bought this item also bought: White Stripes ... Editors ... LCD Soundsystem ... Arctic Monkeys".

They've completely given up on the big-beat sound that they helped to make popular ten years ago, but unfortunately what they've mostly replaced it with is a thin-sounding electro-light that just doesn't do it in clubs. If this album is to be belived, then chord changes must be out of fashion, as there are very few here. This is strictly a home-listening album, particularly a listen-while-you-work album- you could argue the same about previous Chem Bros albums but for this one it's especially true.

Sometimes the new sound really does work- I really like "Burst Generator" and "Battle Scars". "The Salmon Dance" divides opinion- personally I really like it, it's essentially a novelty record but there's no harm in the occasional novelty record and it splits up the album nicely. However the sound gets tired and tracks like "Do It Again" and the title track "We Are The Night" just sound a bit limp.

The second half of the album works better than the first half but when in future you think "I'd like to listen to some Chemicals now", then this album isn't going to be the one you pick off the shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it time, 6 Aug 2007
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

4.0 out of 5 stars LIFE IS SWEET-ISH, 24 July 2007
Mr. Abbas Rana "abbas_rana" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
This is the Chemical Brothers' sixth studio album and in summary, represents both a return to minimalist house instrumentals of Dig Your Own Hole and continuation of vocalised tracks that sound more like the collaborating artist than the Chemical Brothers. By normal standards, it's definitely a must-have and there's enough clever catchy beats and hooks to keep you entertained. By Chem Brothers' standards, it's not as good as the early stuff but exceeds Push The Button.

The highlight of the album is "Battle Scars" where distinct male vocals revolve around an extremely infectious hook; it's one of the slow burnng tracks but probably the best written on the album. A "Modern Midnight Conversation" epitomises the Chemicals' story; they're at their best when their tracks are simple and effortless (remember Exit Planet Dust?). It's a breezy dance track with floaty female vocal samples.

I actually think "Salmon Dance" is a catchy little ditty with bouncing beats and humorous rap lyrics. Don't take this track seriously and you'll enjoy it more. "Saturate" is the best instrumental on the record and again, when the tracks sound simple and organic, the Chemical Brothers show why they're one of the finest dance bands ever. It''s a synth-powered tune that threatens to climax in the same way of Leftfield's Storm 3000 (but with real drums).

The Klaxon's collaboration has slowly grown on me but lyrics seem lazy compared to the their emotive Grace cover and the music... well, nothing special. "Das Spiegal" sounds like the Chemical Brothers been challenged to make a credible dance tune out of the cheesiest synth sound on their sampler... and they almost succeed. "Burst Generator" is a harder house track and sits comfortably on the record but you wouldn' miss it if it wasn't there. "Do It Again" as we all know, is a catchy house-flavoured tune though I'm not yet convinced it was one for commercial release.

"We Are The Night" sounds like part two of "Sunshine Underground" from Surrender and it needs to be played really loud to get anything from it. The final track on the album, the Midlake collaboration, is pleasant and mellow enough and soundtrack to a lazy, rainy Sunday afternoon or a night out at Fabric (depending on which side of 25 you're on).

There's some genuine modern classics on the album but there's a few "ok" tracks but that's "ok" compared to Chemical Brothers' standards, which in normal circumstances is still damn good!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Chems "Do it again"!, 23 Dec 2007
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
I was a little surprised by some of the more negative reviews that have graced this album and was left wondering if we were listening to the same record. It's certainly their best since Surrender, though is maybe not as immediate. Combining deep dark funk (Do It Again), Indie-rave mash up (All Rights Reserved), deep funky techno (Saturate) amongst others, it's certainly an album I've not gotten tired of this year and rewards repeated listens. Okay, the Salmon Dance may divide opinion but personally it brightens up my day every time I hear it

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop listening to this album, 3 Oct 2007
G. R. Johnston "London gay boi" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
Fabulous albulm, very infectious. Great to blast out when getting ready for a night out. (Yes Salmon dance is a bit wierd, but the rest of the Cd is so fantastic it deserves 5 stars) Fabulous live too

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly excellent, 1 Aug 2007
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
The menace and drive of the Chemical Brothers is intact on this album, but after initially finding Salmon Dance amusing it doesn't sit with the rest of the album after a few more listens. Maybe it should have been at the end. Maybe it should have been dropped. Anyway, it doesn't matter because you're going to drop this onto your MP3 player where you can delete the one sub-standard track and get on with enjoying the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality., 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
If you like The Chemical Brothers then you are going to absolutely love this! A kind of tech-electro breaks riddled CD full of interesting and top quality tracks. The salmon dance being one of my fave tracks, i think Chemcal Bros have hit on something here with this track.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of Their Finest, 3 Jun 2007
Trevor (KL, Malaysia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
I was quite disappointed with the previous album - Push the Button. It somehow - lacked the "push the button" feel, somehow ;)

I enjoyed most of the tracks, which are as follow:

We are the Night does have the night element - I could see the star shining.

All Rights Reversed will be a techno hit for sure.

Saturate - A classic techno

Das Spiegel - it was a track - full of fun :-)

Burst Generator - somehow, it reminds me of U2 (?)

Harpoons - was a calming track that sounds as if to make you prepare for the last track on album - The Pills Won't Help You Know, which was one of their best closing track of their albums.(I loved Surface to Air from "Push the Button" very much)

By the way, did they put the title of the track on purpose? Is that a message? (which somehow related to the title of the album, eh?)

I didn't really like the 80's-retro-feel tracks like A Modern Midnight Conversation, Battle Scars.. but hey, I love majority of the tracks, and while R&B is the mainstream, I'm glad that I still have alternative choices like Chemical Brothers ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars My current favourite album of all time, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
I think this is the first time I have ever bothered to rate a CD

And as a 57 year old, I probably don't have the right to make artistic comments about current(ish) music.

So I won't any anything, other than I love this album, and it would be, without doubt the first I would take to a desert island!

We Are the Night [VINYL]
We Are the Night [VINYL] by The Chemical Brothers (Vinyl - 2007)