4.0 out of 5 stars LIFE IS SWEET-ISH
This is the Chemical Brothers' sixth studio album and in summary, represents both a return to minimalist house instrumentals of Dig Your Own Hole and continuation of vocalised tracks that sound more like the collaborating artist than the Chemical Brothers. By normal standards, it's definitely a must-have and there's enough clever catchy beats and hooks to keep you...
Published on 24 July 2007 by Mr. Abbas Rana

3.0 out of 5 stars You know what you're getting...
The Chemical Brothers have had a remarkably consistent career for a dance act, singles wise at least. Indeed its difficult to imagine a time when there hasn't been at least one great Chemical Brothers single dominating the airwaves.

Do It Again may not have been the most outright catchy single they've ever done it was one of those that slowly but surely got...
Published on 31 July 2007 by IWFIcon

4.0 out of 5 stars Their best album to date. Possibly?, 28 May 2007
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
I've always been a big Chemical Brothers fan. I've got all the singles and all the albums but I always feel disappointed by the latter. They promise much but rarely deliver anything more than 3 top notch singles and a load of squelchy fillers of varying quality.

I haven't listened to this new album too many times but my initial impression is that it's certainly one of their better ones. Whether it actually is their best album to date, only time will tell.

The reason I like this album in particular is that I feel the boys have made the best use of their enlisted talent. With previous albums, I've always felt that the colaborations were little more than just Chemical Brothers tracks with someone else doing the vocals.

Here, however, the input seems a bit more even between musical hosts and guests. This is most obviously the case with the wonderful Klaxons and Midlake tracks. That said, the two aforementioned bands are on pretty hot creative streaks at the moment.

All the above said, I've given the album four stars (and was even tempted to give 3) because it certainly fades until the glorious final track. Burst Generator with its fearsome frenzy of nob twiddling and Modern Midnight Conversation's cheesy retro club pop certainly don't push the boat out and other tracks see the Chemical Brothers playing it by numbers.

In conclusion, it's far from perfect but it still beats a lot of their previous album material and there are enough real gems to make it worth the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars My current favourite album of all time, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
I think this is the first time I have ever bothered to rate a CD

And as a 57 year old, I probably don't have the right to make artistic comments about current(ish) music.

So I won't any anything, other than I love this album, and it would be, without doubt the first I would take to a desert island!

3.0 out of 5 stars We are the bright eyes, 15 July 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
I have no idea what the Chemical Brothers are doing in "We Are The Night."

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing. Though some of their songs simply don't mesh together well, the British electronic duo do a pretty fair job with their grimy acid beats and crazy acid-alien-spy style. And it's worth the price just to hear their delicious collaborations with Midlake and the Klaxons.

It opens with a strange rumbling grunting sound, like a robot hellhound sniffing out a trail. Then we get some mournful voices telling us that "there's no path to follow."

Oh, forget that. The action begins in the spaceship hums, electronic twiddlings (as if from a control panel), and a heavy driving beat that blossoms into a solid, danceable tune speckled with samples. It ends up sounding like James Bond on acid, and no, that is not a bad thing at all.

From there, the Chemical Brothers collaborate with the Klaxons in the eerie, clattery "All Rights Reserved," and launch into a swirl of equally energetic songs: tribal electrobeats, retro fuzz pop, eruptions of tornado synth in fun electropop, tightly woven beats, and a dense weaving of keyboard and ringing guitar. It finishes on a high note with "The Pills Won't Help You Know," a collaboration with Midlake -- a dreamy, hazy, fuzzy, sunny little tune that is drowsily winning.

In a nutshell, "We Are the Night" sounds like the soundtrack to a psychedelic spy caper, with a few aliens thrown in for good measure. The Chemical Brothers has their lax moments -- "The Salmon Dance" with Fatlip is a tumble down the stairs -- but the majority of the songs achieve just what they're meant to.

There's some drum machines and electric guitars cycling in there. But most of it is some really earthy acid beats -- sharp and flexible, synth lashings, and a few that are soft little stretches of gentle, pastoral tinkliness. They also weave some songs with sci-fi-ish samples, like what sounds like alarms going off, and a spaceship landing.

And they avoid the typical techno trap of just taking a beat and repeating it endlessly. To keep the dancefloor beats and tribal stuff from sounding like your average boring techno, they twist it into ripples, trickles, fuzz, static squeals and some brilliantly eerie vocals ("We are the nighttime/we are the bright eyes/we are the right time...").

If there's a real problem with "We Are the Night," it's that the album isn't very cohesive. Several of the songs have the same feel, but most of the collaborations don't fit in with the pure Chemical Brothers stuff. I'm the first to admit a deep love for "The Pills Won't Help You Know," but it doesn't fit.

The Chemical Brothers trip over their own feet occasionally, but despite some songs not fitting in, it still is a pretty decent electronic album. Do it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flashes of brilliance, 10 July 2007
R. B. Moore "rmoore322" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
The problem I find with the Chemical Brothers is that you get a decent album but then come across flashes of genius which make you wonder what it could have been like if that level had been sustained. In this case, you have Burst Generator, Modern Midnight and Battle Scars which are just awesome. And then you have the rest which are steady but not sensational. Burst is intercut with a Brothers classic sample that sounds like a jet coming into land. Modern is breathy vocals and Battle Scars just puts a hook into your head.

You could complain though, that this album is too much Kraftwerk and traditional electronica and not enough traditional Brothers. You could complain that the Salmon Dance should not have a place on any serious dance album. But when you whack the volume up, this album will move you to a crowded field at twilight, with your ears starting to bleed a bit. And that can't be a bad thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Among their best, 15 Jun 2007
Richard Hammond (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
I thought the Chemicals had, a bit like hats, had their day. But this is ace - it doesn't make you all sad that nothing is as good as it used to be. Some cracking tunes here: loads of interesting beats, melodies and a bit more heart and soul than you'd generally expect from the chaps. There's even a top-drawer balladish thing that's sweet and touching and proper late-night float-away. Oh and there's some big and loud and unashamedly Chemical Brothers tracks too, with just two duffers on the whole disc. Top Value!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring back block rockin beats, 10 July 2007
C. Jellie "Jellieman" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
Ok so the album is good, it has to be Chemical Brothers are wizards at what they do and few come close to producing songs like them.
This album is experimental- if it wasn't for "do it again" and "The pills won't help you now" I'd be requesting my money back. Some will love "The Salmon Dance" but it's way too fishy and just wrong.
Sadly not a patch on Push the Button.

Jellieman

4.0 out of 5 stars Starts brilliantly but where are we going?, 30 July 2007
Spaceboy (Darmstadt, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
What a brilliant start with the short count-down of "No Path to Follow" to get us settled down and listening and then we're launched and flying on the title track. More good stuff with "All Rights Reversed" and I think I'm really hooked. Now, Saturate and "Do it Again", both good too, but starting to flag a bit. It's starting to mellow and now getting too mellow and whimsical for my liking in "Das Speigel" - I don't really like this track, it's too cutesy - something I can't quite put my finger is irritating me - it reminds me of Dreadzone, maybe I'll like it one day, but not yet. Now even more frivolous with the Salmon Dance - this should've been the single :-) - Wow, it is funny! Hooray it's "Burst Generator" and we're flying again but the soundscape's a bit bleaker than before and some of the magic's missing. And now we've four nice songs which are good but seem to lie a little uneasily with the promise of the start. E.g. "Battle Scars" is great but doesn't it belong on "Demon Days"?

The start is so strong that it's impossible to sustain through the album, leading to feeling a slight disappointment as it plays through. The production, arrangements and twisted sounds are great, but it as others have said its somewhat uncohesive and a bit out of balance compared to the wonderful roller-coaster rides of Surrender and Push the Button. Hopefully I'll change my mind after a few weeks and come to love it!

3.0 out of 5 stars On a similar level to 'Push The Button', 7 Jun 2007
D. Thomas (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
Push The Button was a good album, with a few real gems and also a few clangers. What you get with We Are Night is pretty much the same in all honesty. Saturate, All Right Reversed and Das Spiegel are all excellent dance tunes which remind us of what the Chemical Brothers are still capable of. It's when they add in the tracks to help give the album a mass appeal that they flop. The dreadful Salmon Dance immediately springs to mind, Do It Again is also a pretty cheesy affair.

They need to remember what they are - a damn good electronic band and nothing else. And maybe if they did we'd see another classic in the same vein as Dig Your Own Hole or Surrender.

3.0 out of 5 stars what can i say....??, 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
What can I say, is the question?..loved push the button!, excellent album. But i'm afraid i've listened to this twice, put it into the glove compartment of my car and it's stayed there!

4.0 out of 5 stars They might not BE the night, but at least they should OWN it, 5 July 2007
This review is from: We Are The Night (Audio CD)
A trick aimed at The Chemical Brothers at the time of their third album's release, 1999's "Surrender", was that they seemed to see the future of electronic music mainly in its past. Clearly, after two first full length players which delivered just not enough (1995's debut "Exit Planet Dust") or a bit too much (1997's breakthrough follow-up "Dig Your Own Hole"), the Bros paid tribute to their influences in a full cinematic trip which I still think is their best album to date.

You must ask yourself "Hey, why is he reviewing 'Surrender' as he's supposed to review the new LP here, uh ?"... Well, in my opinion, "We Are The Night", the Chems' 6th LP in an impressive 14 year career (an eternity in the case of electronic music acts !) is a distant cousin to that aforementioned record. I have a theory (which might or might not become true in the next years of their lengthy legacy) about this: every 3 albums, the Chems need to go back to their roots to go forward. Except that this time, the two previous LPs have (rightly to me) been much maligned by longtime fans and public in general (even if "Push The Button"'s singles "Galvanize" or "Believe" were arguably some of the best moments of 2005). 2002's "Come With Us" was the worst, as its overproduction and self-awareness almost killed all the subtle trickery invented for "Surrender", while "Push The Button", apart from the twin peaks quoted earlier, was an attempt at convincing Hip Hop to save Big Beat (well, Hip Hop didn't bother to, as you might know... sorry Mr Norman 'Slimfast' Cook). So as did their 3rd Lp to maintain their passion while also put them out of a somewhat formulaic sound, "We Are The Night" is supposed to convince the world the Chems still have a tiger roaring out there somewhere, at least creatively speaking.

So what ? The whole album's sound is a lot sweeter than it actually could be (camouflage is a key word on "WATN"); the title track or "Saturate" build on progressive, addictive grooves that still grow on you after repeated listenings, while tension never seems to get high enough on the stomper that is "Burst Generator" or the first single "Do It Again" (even though my favourite version is the Oliver Huntemann remix... a scorcher !). Another great thing about "WATN" is that it's the least vocal Chems record to date, or, more accurately, the one within which the vocal tracks melt most gracefully between the others; "All Rights Reversed", featuring The Klaxons on mic duties or the joke that seems to be "The Salmon Dance" should get your parties funnier if not get them berserk.

The only true matter with this record in fact, is what makes it also a joy as a continuous listening: its lack of really stand-out tracks. As you already know if you're reading this far, the Chems strength is best showcased on full scale bombastic dancefloor cuts (think "Chemical Beats", "Block Rockin' Beats", "Hey Boy Hey Girl", and, well... too many to mention !), and there's no such thing to get between your ears here.

Therefore, as with "Surrender", "We Are The Night" is a voyage into some of today electronic music's most reliable performers' tastes and, if not quite as good or jaw-dropping ("The Pills Won't Help You Now" is no "Asleep From Day", sadly) as that 3rd album, it still proves the Chems have a bright future in front of them, even if they drive on a safer road than expected.

Hey ! Tom, Ed, is the album's title a nod to James Gray's last movie, "We Own The Night" ? Cause it might have been a great title as well...

We Are The Night
We Are The Night by The Chemical Brothers (Audio CD - 2007)