5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 15 July 2011 by Kermit

2.0 out of 5 stars Warranty - Forget It
Nice and cheap drive but if you have a problem it seems near impossible to return it so ignore the 12 months warranty claim, if it's over two months forget it. My drive started not booting after 5 months.
Published on 2 Feb. 2008 by C. J. Weston

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Warranty - Forget It, 2 Feb. 2008
C. J. Weston "chris-weston" (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Generic Hard Disk Drive 80GB IDE - 1 Year Warranty (Electronics)

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable. It's a "sell and run" sort of thing.., 11 April 2014
I ordered two of these since it seemed a decent ratio of gigabytes to £.
When i received them, they both were 160GB for which I was amazed at start..
Soon enough I found out why:

When they arrived, one of them had an obvious defect at the socket, one pin was way too short to come anywhere near in contact with the plug and, of course, it showed up as a storage device in device manager but had 0B size.. lame..

I plugged in and formatted the other one. it had ~148GB size. Decent enough. 5 minutes later it short-circuited causing my computer to shut off. The harddisk's board had burned. Unacceptable.

I figured that's why they must have sent me two 160GBs in the first place - to make me not complain in case something is wrong and indeed their strategy was going to work if at least one of the harddisks was working.

Honestly, I'm not even that angry that they don't work, considering the price. Why I really am angry is because the delivery costed me £11... more than both harddisks put together!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 July 2011
I ordered the 80GB HDD and they sent me a 120GB model, so I was immediately pleased! I fitted the drive with no problems. Windows XP installed fine, but some of the live Linux distros I tried reported drive errors. Currently the drive is dual boot with Win XP and Linux Mint. I'm not using it for anything mission critical and I have another HDD for my data, so I'm not too worried. Expedient delivery, so no complaints there either.

4.0 out of 5 stars I ordered the wrong thing, but I'm actually glad I did., 20 July 2013
I had originally not read the product page properly, as it had come up in a search for laptop hard drives. (This mis-labeling for the Amazon search engine badly needs to be fixed.) Woops.

That said. It arrived extremely well packaged, and in perfect condition. Realising my mistake I decided to use it in a monstrous Frankensteined machine I've been messing with for a few years. (A part from here, a part from there, with the occasional puff of smoke when something unexpectedly gives up the ghost.) And it works well. Not the fastest or largest HDD around, but it does the job (pure back-up file storage) and does it quite well.

Write speed is about what you would expect.

Read speed is okay as well.

It's not too loud, and well that's it really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 17 Nov. 2011
Needed to replace the hard drive on my rather ancient Mac G3. Received the hard drive a couple of days after order well packed and in perfect condition. Got a free upgrade to a 120Gbyte drive from the 80Gbyte one I ordered. Drive installed and working perfectly.

Excellent service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Delivery, 26 Oct. 2012
I ordered this product on a Friday afternoon and was delivered on the next day (Saturday).
This is better service than visiting Local IT shops,(who would want more money for the product anyway).
The drive was installed (hardware) and disk Parameters recognised with no probems.
Windows XP was installed to the drive (NTFS) and I have had NO problems to date with it. 26/10/2012.
Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Genuine bargain, 29 Sept. 2011
I've bought 2 of these 80gb ide hard drives now although both times a 120gb drive arrived as a bonus instead. I've run drive diagnostics and check disk and all reports came back ok. They come well package and in an unopened anti-static bag.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard drive did not work what a waste of money!, 23 Jan. 2013
Received my HDD drive and put it in my comp...... didn't work (HDD was not being recognized at all!) put in another computer and the same thing. i made sure the power plug and ide cable was nice and secure and checked everything out countless amount of times as i would not let my self believe it was faulty or broke. i placed the back of my finger on the side of the drive to see if i could feel the disc inside moving (usually can feel little vibration from newer HDD's) nothing. i'v emailed sender and just waiting for a reply to see what they are going to do about this!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great drives...with some slip-ups., 26 May 2011
I ordered two of these drives not too long ago, and I was sent a pair of Maxtor DiamondMax 16 drives, which to my surprise were 120GB rather than 80GB. But, all did not go to plan. One drive worked perfectly, but the other showed a large number of bad sectors, which meant that Ubuntu's S.M.A.R.T. utility reported the disk as failing. More bad sectors were turned up when I tried to install Windows XP on it, and the full format stopped altogether at 98%. The seller was very prompt in replacing this drive, and sent a Seagate U Series drive in its place, which has so far served me well.

UPDATE, 16/09/12: The other Maxtor drive is now reporting a steadily climbing number of bad sectors after a little over a year in my possession, but the Seagate drive still works without a hitch. And judging from the age of these drives, I expect the Seagate to go soon too, but I might be wrong. I won't be buying any used hard drives again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Hard Drive, 24 July 2012
K. Flack "technofreak" (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased 2 of these units to replace a failed RAID network I use for video editing. These hard drives are fulfilling this purpose extremely well and I can now capture HD video without any problem. At a cost of £7.50 each I consider them to be an extremely good buy and would recommend them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›