Price:£6.03+ £2.95 shipping

on 30 September 2011
I'm 23 years old, and therefore probably not as rough with my toys as your average 5 year old, but I've had no problems with the gyroscope's build quality. This isn't a polished toy (literally) or indestructable but for a trinket I bought on a whim I'm pleased.

Explanation for scores:

Build quality:
I have used it for the past couple of weeks, admittedly less once the novelty wears off, and it has stayed in one piece- I wouldn't suggest putting it on a tight-rope over a stone floor but for most purposes the build quality is adequate. (I actually did drop it from a height of about 5 feet when messing about, granted it fell onto carpet but it still survived)

Education:
It's a fantastic example of precession and obviously gyroscopes- if you wanted to teach a child about how a gyroscope works (and subsequently many amazing things) I would recommend the toy, but I'd probably also get a Powerball to demonstrate a spinning wheel's resistance to external forces. Then again for the money this can't really be beaten.

Fun:
Well... you spin it- that's about it really. It entertained a few friends for a few minutes- in an age of Gears of War 3 and Xbox 360s that's impressive for what it is.

If you're on this page, you're interested in getting a gyroscope toy- this one is small (3 inch diamter roughly) but it's cheap and does the job well enough to justify trying it before moving up to more expensive models.
on 3 December 2009
I bought this for for son's birthday and we both loved the idea of it. But the outer ring snapped completely on it's 5th use on day 1! Very low quality metal and the finish was quite tarnished and patchy. Peanuts and monkeys I guess.
22 comments18 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2014
Poor Quality Product !
spindle support ring not joined together which restricts spindle motion , product does not balance
Correctly when in motion.
on 3 September 2013
when started it vibrates a lot, so the tricks shown are impossible to be done. Even after applying some oil it is still noisy.
on 25 November 2014
Not as described This is not retro it is a poor imitation of the real thing. I am 66 years of age and had a lot of these when I was young This is made of a low weight alloy. The real thing was a lot heavier and worked far better as the centrifugal force was greater because of the weight. it is very dissappointing
on 18 February 2010
as soon as we purchased the gyroscope we had some good tricks with it.
after a fortnight however, the gyrsoscope wasn't as efficient as it was before.
in fact we had to purchase another one which has bearings.
22 comments15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2013
Obviously a very cheap toy, not a gyroscope, when spun the vibration made it completely unstable
Returned it and money refunded
22 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2013
Great in that it does what a gyroscope does - my 7 year only loves it, as did I when I had one at his age. The quality is poor though. For the price you should be able to get something better - but that's the problem, I'm not sure there is anything out there. So if you want one fast, get it. If you want one that will last, keep looking.
on 13 September 2014
Very poor quality. The framework is loose where it meets making it unstable and dose not work correctly. This should have been welded during manufacture.

I would not recommend buying this as it is practically useless.
on 14 August 2013
I bought this item to my daughter and she absolutely love it!
She can play with it for hours, showing trick to her friends. and it is also nice to explain fundamental physical principal.

Igal