5.0 out of 5 stars Powerball and Trumpet playing
I bought a Powerball after having a go with my brother's.
He'd bought it for fun, but I found it such a good therapy I bought my own.

By day I'm an electrician, by night I play the trumpet / cornet and I use a computer a lot, hence over the years I've developed some mild repetitive strain injuries in my arms, especially the right fore-arm.
For years...
Published on 25 Sep 2007 by GsyMoo

2.0 out of 5 stars Made my tendonitis worse
I have given this product a low rating, and from the title of my review, you'll guess why. However, I must stress that I think the product itself is a very good one and probably works for a lot of people, but my specific tendonitis wasn't helped by the PowerBall.

My wrist tendonitis is caused by my hand being in a claw-like position over a computer mouse for...
Published on 4 Oct 2009 by A. Lakha

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerball and Trumpet playing, 25 Sep 2007
GsyMoo (Guernsey Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Toy)
I bought a Powerball after having a go with my brother's.
He'd bought it for fun, but I found it such a good therapy I bought my own.

For years I've been just `putting up with it' as it's not usually more than a dull ache but if I've had a heavy day at work I notice my arm stiffening up, not good if I'm playing brass that evening.

I've found that if I use my Powerball when I get a moment a few times a day I can work some heat into the muscles which really loosens them up and gets rid if any aches.
I try and do about 10 minutes sustained at a moderate speed with short bursts up to full tilt, swapping arms as each one gets tired. Believe me, as the speed goes up, these things become really heavy!

What surprised me was the first time I went to band practice after using the Powerball just how much more nimble my fingers were in the running sections. I've always struggled in faster sections trying to get my fingers to go fast enough, but using the Powerball to loosen up beforehand makes quite a significant difference.

What's nice about the Pro model (apart from the funky flashing lights (mine's blue)) is the little trip computer on top so you can keep a track of how you're doing, as it can indicate speed, top speed reached, work done, and strength test, so you can keep tabs on how you're doing.

All in all, the Powerball is quite fun to use, in a similar way to a YoYo, but more importantly it really helps to condition your arm muscles. If you do anything in your daily life that involves using your arms with strength, speed or precision then you'll most probably find one of these a real help.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's harder than you think, and better than you expect., 19 Jan 2008
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Toy)
I, like a good few others here, got my Powerball Pro "Neon" (mine's blue) and was instantly surprised by its tiny size, yet bold claims to health (arm strength) benefits... At first I was sceptical, but after a week or so of using the Powerball every day, in addition to my regular exercise routine, I have definitely seen positive results, and I echo the praise given by the Trumpeter fellow, I play keyboard/organ/piano, and I have noticed a definite improvement in playing-stamina since using the Powerball; my fingers and wrists, they ache no more, even after a good 2 hour ragtime and show-tunes session!

It's also ideal for you sporty types, as you may well have guessed. Apparently it also helps those poor souls with RSIs. Powerball is NOT recommended for those suffering heart conditions however.

Another warning; Powerball is addictive, and taking it to work could result in you getting chastised or fired... or on a plus it may make you seriously popular, and of course get you promoted, depending on whether you let your Boss get the best RPM score!

Starting the Powerball is almost as fun as using it, you get a string provided to pull-start the ball, a little like a petrol Mower, then the trick is to rotate your wrist in such a way as to start the gyroscope accelerating. When up to speed, the LEDs flash, and it looks awesome. The instructions enclosed with the PB Pro are clear and concise, and easy to follow. Apparently there is a method of getting the ball started by a flick of your thumb, but I have yet to master it!

The "Pro" version is worth the little extra cost, as it comes with an LCD display to show the Revolutions per Minute (with a neat "Best Score" function so you can show off) and various other settings for muscle strength (based on RPM over a certain time) etc.

Don't expect glittering results first time; it takes practice to really get the thing going, and your arm may ache after the first few times you use it, especially if you decide to go for 20,000 RPM on your first go. A search on Youtube will show a veritable Powerball League going on, to see who can get theirs spinning the fastest. Why not join in? Get one and be amazed at the simplicity, and enthralled at the benefits and addictiveness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sceptical...., 17 Jan 2008
Mr. N. Iqbal - See all my reviews
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Toy)
I first bought a cheaper version from a famous store and was well disappointed,left me thinking a lot more effort was needed to make this work. But just this year on the run up to Xmas I met a sales person who was playing with one in a Major toy store. I felt a bit silly but enquired, and was promptly left standing spinning a Powerball.

Lessons:
1, Beware of Cheap imitiations they just don't do it. (Yes I know the real powerball is made in Taiwan, but the quality speaks for itself)
2, The glow from this thing at night draws you in like a moth.
3, It's about the endurance after 10 mins I could feel the difference in my forearms and wrists.
4, Got excited and bought it on the spot for £25, Amazon doing it cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Idle Hands & Very Addictive, 3 July 2008
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Toy)
My motivation to purchase the Power Ball was to improve muscle in my forearms for golf and help top-up my fitness whilst sat on boring audio conferences at work. This leads me to the three clear reasons why you would purchase one of these:

1. it's great for muscle tone in your arms (fingers, wrists, forearm, biceps & triceps)
2. Moreover, it's very addictive and makes you very competitive (even if only with your own previous best) and, importantly
3. It is immensely fun

There have been a couple of poor reviews suggesting that the gyroscope doesn't spin for long, but they simply haven't worked out how to use it -the gyro will spin forever so long as you are turning the Power Ball using your wrist and the correct technique. It does take a few goes to understand, but once you've succeeded it becomes intuitive and extremely fulfilling.

Power Ball is one of my better purchases that, if truth be told, was done on impulse but is now used everyday when I'm around the house or sat at my desk.

One piece of advice is to get the 'Pro' versions that come with the digital counter and functions; it is much more rewarding when you can see your progress and it's worth the few pennies extra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neon Blue Pro, 15 May 2007
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Sports)
I have been using various powerballs for over two years now and I love it as much now as when I first got it. The manufacturer's description really doesn't do this product justice, although their website does. If you use this powerball at low speeds it is great for RSI and other wrist/arm injuries. At high speeds it gives an amazing workout and really builds up all the arm and shoulder muscles. The build quality is incredible (do not be tempted by inferior wannabes) and the lifetime guarantee is unbeatable. I've had to replace a small part already (due to my intensive usage!) and they sent out the part quickly, free of charge and with full fitting instructions, can't say fairer than that! It is truly addictive and put it on a table in a room full of friends and you will all soon be fighting to out do one another on high speeds and other stats that the computer on top measures. The Neon Pro is a fun take on the original theme and is perfect for us powerball addicts who want that little something extra. I could write so much more about this product, but really you've got to buy one and try for yourself, you will not regret it!

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice indeed., 20 Nov 2008
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Toy)
I bought this a few weeks ago after stumbling upon it and reading all the positive reviews. I have to say I was a little skeptical at first, but I have become a big fan. Already in a few weeks of use I feel a big difference in arm strength and my mild pains from working on computers all day have all but disappeared. And if you want the Kung-Fu grip, this is the thing for you.

Getting it to spin really isnt that hard, I had it down after a few attempts after watching videos on Youtube and once you get it to spin, it is kind of like riding a bike, it is really not difficult to do.

It may not be as effective as weights, but after a couple months you should have some very strong arms, and a monster grip. When it gets spinning at high RPM's you have to hold it tighter, and the faster it spins the harder it is to hold on to. But the big difference to weights is...it is FUN. I look forward to coming home at night after work and giving it a whirl.

I highly recommend this product, but beware, it can be very addictive!

EDIT- After watching Youtube videos I wondered if it as loud as it seems on some of those videos. It is not. It simply sings a nice hum which definitely won't bother the neighbors even if you live in an apartment.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great piece of tech!, 21 Aug 2008
Long story short..GET ONE OF THESE

it is possibly the most amazing thing i have ever bought!

all you do is pull the ripcord after winding it up, and slowly rotate your hand, slowly speeding up while these amazing LED lights turn your living room into a club :)

once you get the hang of this, (if your persist) you will find you cannot stop...its just so addictive trying to beat other family member's highscores...we had great laughs, seeing as after we saw how great they were, we all got our own ones, so theres blue green and red lights flazing all around our living room as we compete for the highest revs!

i seriosuly advise this, i am a grade 9 drummer, so getting into quite advanced stuff, and i found that after using this for about 2 hours a day (the least i can do without wanting to go back for more!) for about 2 weeks, my drumming became much more precise, controlled and relaxed

i seriosly advise getting one of these, as once you've mastered the flow, you'll want another go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lot of fun - really works, 14 Jun 2007
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Toy)
At first this looked like a real gimmick to me - but got one as a gift and it turned out to be both great fun and a good workout.

Ideal for any sports requiring grip/wrist/forearm strength.

It takes a good bit of practice to get the most out of powerball, but once you have the gist of it, the force generated is remarkable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't underestimate this product!, 1 April 2009
E. Simpson (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Toy)
I bought the Neon Pro Green and the colour is beautiful when all lit up...!

Anyway, I was very keen to get this product going when I first unboxed it and the first thing I noticed was how small it is. It really is only the size of a tennis ball, and I don't know, perhaps I was expecting it to be a bit bigger. Being a bit cocky, I thought I wouldn't need the string to get it going but I sure did! Don't lose those pieces of string - if you do you're stuffed!

When I finally did get it spinning it took a few tries to get the right action with my wrist but when you do get the knack for it you might get a real shock by the effect this product has on your wrist/arm. You can really feel the tension mounting as you spin the rotor slightly faster and it can become very tough to physically keep hold of.

Afterwards, your wrist and arm might really ache, but I'm not kidding when I say that even after a few days of use, a few times a day - you really can tell the difference. I'm starting to get less cramps in my wrist when I'm writing and its starting to have good effect on my violin playing (which is very much controlled through the wrists) - and this is only a few days later!

I would seriously recommend buying the NEON PRO version of this product because of the digital display on it - a clear indication of how fast you're spinning the rotor and a great way of trying to beat your top score. I've only managed 9200rpm so far but that's 4000 better than three days ago - and I'm aiming to exceed 10,000rpm before the end of the week. The neon lights are nice too. My dog thinks so as well.

To sum it up - the Powerball Neon Pro is a resonably inexpensive device, but which can do wonders to the strength of your lower arm, and although you're going to ache a bit after the first couple of tries, you'll slowly be able to build up the strength in your wrists and it'll really become easy. I recommended buying this, certainly for instrument players, but even for people who feel like their wrists are generally quite flimsy - that sounds pathetic I know, but you really will notice the difference. 5 out of 5. Exceptionally good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strings = Beginner, 13 Feb 2007
This review is from: Powerball Neon Pro (Sports)
In response to the other review that implied the product was useless after a day. Perhaps but after much trial an error, it is quite possible to get this contraption working without the string starter. Its very easy once you have the knack but its quite hard to teach yourself. YouTube might have some videos. Its all really based on feeling the movement within the ball, once you've spun it with your thumb/finger/flat palm. Obviously the string gets it to a high speed, and so getting to the 'work-out time' is easier. But its a gyroscope, so as long as its moving you should be able to increase it! As long as you're prepared to put in a bit of effort you can learn how to self start it you're away, and not wasting money for a days fun ^_^

Powerball Neon Pro