5.0 out of 5 stars Happy accident
I ordered this completely by accident (long drink related story) but once I noticed wasnt too bothered as I figured I could plug them into the ps2 we use as a dvd player in the spare room.

Published on 25 May 2011 by McG

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be ok if not faulty
Published on 31 Dec. 2009 by M. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy accident, 25 May 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Powerplay Black 2.1 Speaker System (PS2) (Video Game)

When they arrived I wasnt expecting much maybe a set of speakers which where just above tinny at best but was in for a pleasant surprise, the quality was actaully good. Okay its not 7.1 surround sound but its a lot better than some much more expensive speakers I've heard. The best bit was as well as the ps2 connectors it came with a set of audio jack wires meaning it can plug it into pretty much anything.

I had been considering spending around £120-£150 on a sound bar for my flatscreen TV To help the useless speakers (that they pretty much all have), so decided to give this set ago. I hid the bass under my TV unit and the 2 satelitte speakers behind the TV, and got pleasing results, no more rewinding sky plus to find out what someone just said.

Downsides are that the speakers look dated (well they were designed to match the fat ps2!) but are small enough to hide away), and no remote (what do you expect for this price?) but once you've got the bass and the volume balanced you find you hardly change it, (I only change the settings if I put a Blu Ray on).The speakers have enough power that I've not needed to go much above half volume and bass so that the speakers are well with-in their ability so theres no noticble sound distortion.

All in all its saved me a small fortune because I dont think I need that soundbar anymore! If you need speakers to aid your TV or any other system but dont have much cash, consider these as either an alternative or to see you through till you get the money together. If your experience is like mine you wont be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be ok if not faulty, 31 Dec. 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Powerplay Black 2.1 Speaker System (PS2) (Video Game)
Installed this item on my playstation 2 only to find the left hand speaker dead on arrival. I know it is 100% the speaker at fault as when the right hand speaker was plugged into the left hand jack it worked fine. The sound is good for the price. Would be better of course if both speakers worked. Also another gripe I have is the AV to AV connector cable supplied is only around 10cm long so subwoofer has to stay within 10cm of console unless you buy yourself a longer cable elsewhere. Am returning faulty system and ordering the same in colour silver as its the only one in stock. Lets hope its all ok this time on arrival!

4.0 out of 5 stars A little gem, 12 Sept. 2012
Mr. M. Fogerty "Tarnish" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Powerplay Black 2.1 Speaker System (PS2) (Video Game)
I was after a cheap set of PlayStation 2 compatible speakers for when using my PS2 connected to a display via component cable but with no audio connection. I happened across these Powerplay speakers via a web search and couldn't quite believe the price for a brand new item at £4.88 direct from Amazon. I mulled it over until a couple of hours later by which time the price had dropped to £4.29! It was ordered on a Thursday afternoon and was delivered on the Monday via the free delivery option.

Now I wasn't expecting anything special figuring that I guess these speakers were original sold at about the £30 mark but they're really not bad at all, especially when purchased for under a fiver. Sound is clear and the bass when turned up is suitably deep.
The standard set up when connecting to a PS2 involves the console being connected to the sub woofer via a supplied double ended PS2 AV cable and then the normal AV cable connects from the sub woofer to the display. However as noted in a previous review the supplied PS2 AV cable is only around 10cm or so long which means the console cannot be located far from the sub woofer. The only option I've found for this problem is by using a PlayStation multi AV adapter. (I still have my gray PS1 one that came with Time Crisis years ago) The multi AV adapter has a pass through connector for the normal AV cable and mounted on the side are standard RCA (yellow/white/red) outputs, using a pair of audio RCA cable this can be used to allow more freedom in locating the console and sub in relation to each other.

All in all though a great purchase for the crazily low asking price.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a must if you are on the budget!, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Powerplay Black 2.1 Speaker System (PS2) (Video Game)
This is a very nice speaker system considering the price. It works well with my android tablet, listening to videos on YouTube is a much better experience. Also great for enhancing the sound of portable gaming devices using the amplifier. But I had to get a 3.5 mm jack adaptor for me to use it with most modern devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars work on all game consoles, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Powerplay Black 2.1 Speaker System (PS2) (Video Game)
aye was going to use is for my ps2 but instead aye used it for my ps3 and just let you no it work on all game consoles

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a game, 8 Jan. 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Powerplay Black 2.1 Speaker System (PS2) (Video Game)
Not a game but excellent speakers, quality is good for the price I paid, came in a sealed box and came in good time

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound system, 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Powerplay Black 2.1 Speaker System (PS2) (Video Game)
I chose this rating because the sound is powerful for it's price brought because I used to sell these.
Thanks

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible. They aren't even, 9 Feb. 2013
No bass at all. Just treble.. Terrible. They aren't even loud

Powerplay Black 2.1 Speaker System (PS2)
Powerplay Black 2.1 Speaker System (PS2) by Competition Pro (PlayStation2)
Out of stock