5.0 out of 5 stars Would highly recommend for performance laptops.
Published on 8 Aug 2008 by C. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Its okay...
i bought this as my Arctic Cooling MX-4 had ran out. You dont get very much of this for the price and the MX-4 performed better. Disappointing
Published 13 months ago by David

5.0 out of 5 stars Would highly recommend for performance laptops., 8 Aug 2008
C. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
If your laptop is overheating and cutting out or the fans are on at 100% the majority of the time I would recommend this product. After installing the latest graphics drivers for my Dell XPS M1710 and buying the game Mass Effect, my laptop suffered with frequent overheats and noisy performance from the fans running at maximum. As a temporary solution I used ice blocks underneath the laptop to provide cooling which proved rather effetive. However these were inconvenient, awkward and only delayed overheating.

To carry out maintenance on the cooling system on my laptop I used the following:

- Can of Compressed air
- Solvent to clean off old thermal compount (rubbing alcohol is fine)
- Arctic silver to replace old thermal compound
- Lint free cloth (the same you would use to clean your glasses with)

After thoroughly blowing out all of the dust on the radiator fins of the cooling assembly I cleaned off the old thermal compound on the CPU, GPU and coprocessor and replaced it with arctic silver (the coprocessor uses a praffin wax pad as the thermal compound, I replaced it with arctic silver). After this I put it all back together and not only did it stop overheating when playing Mass Effect, the fans didn't even go to 100% speed. A huge improvement. My laptop was 2 years old when I did this and the old thermal compound on the CPU and GPU was definitely in need of replacement as it seemed to be breaking up. When applying this make sure you follow the instructions from Arctic Silver's site as applying it incorrectly will dramatically reduce its effectiveness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Buy the best!, 6 Jun 2011
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I Tell everyone who asks the same thing. DON'T SKIMP on important parts in your computer, no matter how small or how insignificant you may find it or you might regret it, Thermal Compound is primarily used between your CPU and the cooler that sits on the top, It works by transferring heat VERY EFFECTIVELY from your CPU to the Heat-sink and in the world of Thermal Compound "arctic silver 5" is the best there is!

Ask most Professional Computer Builders and they will say the same, most will use "Arctic Silver 5" simply as it does the job you want it to do better than any other Compound on the market for the money. It gives you peace of mind, so that once done you can forget about it.

Tip: for anyone new to Computer building and thinking of using this or any Compound for that matter, you don't need much on the CPU, just spread a tiny amount from the middle EVENLY across the surface!

VERDICT: The ONLY Thermal Compound i use and i can FULLY RECOMMEND IT!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars super!, 26 May 2010
Having never bought thermal paste before, I was a bit worried, especially reading that this could cause a short circuit if applied wrong.

I bought this to help fix an xbox 360 with RROD and so far its working perfectly since applying this thermal paste! I also used some on my older pentium 4 computer and saw a drop in temperature around 20degrees (though looking at the stuff that was there, I don't think the manufacturer applied their paste correctly in first place).

Just a note to those new to thermal pastes, don't use too much! Also make sure you remove all the previous thermal paste on the item you're applying this to (if any), using cotton buds and alcohol (or in my case, paint thinner).

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend to use on a YLOD PS3, 25 Jun 2011
C. Quinn - See all my reviews
I bought this to help me fix my YLOD PS3 for a second time, the first time I used a different thermal paste (unbranded, basic stuff) and the PS3 went back to the YLOD after about 2 weeks of gaming. However since I applied this to my PS3 last month it has been working perfectly and I'm told that the more you use it the better it gets.

A few tips; Don't apply this with your fingers as the natural oils on them will ruin it, I used a plastic card (similar to a credit card) to spread it and that worked well. Also don't use too much of this stuff, just a small amount will suffice. And make sure to clean off any thermal paste on the CPU/GPU before you apply any thermal paste (Alcohol and cotton buds work well to take old paste off).

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a perfect job..., 11 Aug 2009
UK Couple - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Just bought and used this on my new Overclocked i7 PC and it worked a treat. I am running my intel core i7 at 4.0GHz (default is 2.66GHz) with a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 heatsink and it is keeping as cool as can be.

TIP
===
Go to Artic's website for details on how to best apply thermal paste for each type of CPU.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste, 24 Jun 2012
Neo (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a first time user of this Arctic Silver 5.

I just changed the thermal paste on the processor and on the Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator.

Is working very well. My processor is 7 C cooler and the Graphics Media Accelerator also 6-7 C cooler than before was.

If you are first time user I strongly recommend to dont put a lot of paste on the cpu! Just spread a tiny amount on the surface! I had a bad experience about this. First time I put to much, and the cooling become even worst!

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 fix, 18 May 2012
I used Arctic Silver 5 to fix my ps3 (red light of death) and it's working great so far. The temperature is much lowers than it used to be (before it overheated and died :( )
BUT now its fine and working as if it were brand new :)
Its been working on and working all day and i'll update this if it fails.

There is enough to use on both the CPU and GPU, possibly up to 4 maybe 5 times.
Basically, its great, plenty and works well enough... so far :)

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5g Tube (Personal Computers)
I bought this product to fix YLOD on a PS3 the (yellow light of death) were the PS3 wont turn on checked out how to do it on youtube and it worked and this paste is the best ive been running the PS3 for over 12 hours a night for the last month with no problems so if you want to fix your PS3 get this paste to do it thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Useful, 31 Mar 2010
I would say this is a great product if you have been issuing overheating problems, just make sure you apply it properly so it can provide a better result. It got my laptop from a scorching 96C to a very good 48C.

I would recommend this to anyone who has overheating problems as it is very cheap and very affective, the best one on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars The current best!, 22 Mar 2010
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Arctic Silver 5 paste is simply the best thermal cpu/gpu paste at this price. Compared to stock you can expect substantial drops in temp. It knocked 10c off my temps almost striaght away and I expect it will drop further through thermal cycling.

There are good instructions on their website for how to apply the paste depending on your cpu and less really is more!

Use this straight on a new build or use their cleaner product to remove old grease and place this on. I can't praise thsi enough. As other reviews indicate it is also useful on a ps3/xbox 360.

I also now someone who replaced the grease on their gfx card reducing temps further.

Reduced temps equal longer lifespan and quiet system fans!

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5g Tube