5.0 out of 5 stars Improve the battery life on your N95
Like many N95 owners I was very disappointed with the battery life (less than one day). With the novelty value of a new phone, ie playing with it constantly, I got around 8 hours. When I began using it properly I found the battery life was typically 24hours ("normal" phone use, swithched on all the time and not much video or MP3 use). But don't be disheartened...
Published on 24 Aug 2007 by Brian Goldie

3.0 out of 5 stars The swiss army knife of phones
Published on 26 Nov 2007 by J. M. Dickinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Improve the battery life on your N95, 24 Aug 2007
This review is from: Nokia N95 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)

The life improved dramatically to up to 3 days by (i) turning off the WLAN function and (ii) switching the phone to GSM mode instead of Dual G3 mode.

WLAN allows you to access a wireless network at home/work to browse webpages or collect email on your N95. Turning it off doesn't mean you can't use WLAN; it just doesn't scan for it all the time. To access a wireless LAN just press the "WLAN scanning off" option on the main screen to scan for a network when you need it. Just remember to turn it off via "switch WLAN scan off" when you have finished.

GSM or Dual mode determines how the N95 connects to the internet when you download webpages using your phone provider. The dual mode allows faster download when available, but I have chosen GSM because of the extended the battery life, and GSM is plenty fast enough to get my SatNav traffic updates.

Now the battery life is around 3 days for normal phone use (see above) or 2 days with phone use, moderate MP3 use and short video clips.

Turn off WLAN scan by Tools>Settings>Connection>Wireless Lan>Show WLAN availability>"Never"
Switch the phone to GSM mode only by Tools>Settings>Phone>Network>Network Mode>"GSM"

3.0 out of 5 stars The swiss army knife of phones, 26 Nov 2007
J. M. Dickinson (Bimringham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia N95 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
I remember someone once calling the N95 the swiss army knife of mobile phones. This is a pretty accurate descripton of the N95. It has a hell of a lot of different features all packed into one device. So, why only 3 stars? Have you ever tried to use anything on a swiss army knife? It's a real pain compared to using the real thing. This is also true of the N95. Camera, GPS, media player, internet browser... All of these things are far inferior to using a dedicated device for varrious reasons. But what can you really expect from a device that 'does it all'?

First of, I know a lot of people have complained about the battery life on the N95. After following the instructions of another amazon reviewer (turn off 3g and auto wifi when you're not using them) it has never been an issue. If you really need the battery to last all week, buy a spare one. They cost about 10 and will fit in your wallet.

As a phone, this thing works pretty well. As you've come to expect from Nokia, everything loads quickly and the phone is very responsive. No problems there.

Getting UK maps onto your N95 requires you to download some software for your PC and then download the maps to your N95 from there. It's slightly more hassle than it should be but you should have any problems. A map of the UK takes up a bit over 100mb but you can choose to just download more specific regions if you don't travel much (England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland). Unfortunately the GPS is absolutely terrible. I have the A-GPS firmware update and it's still very rare thar I every get a lock. I can leave it running for 10 minutes and still, nothing happens. I've been up and down the country with this phone and it makes absolutely no difference where I am, the GPS may as well not exist on the phone. However, having a full map of the UK is still handy, even without GPS, and using the internet to find nearby pubs, resturants and hotels is easy and acurrate.

The camera on the N95 is, in my opinion, extremely overated. Yes, it shoots at 5 megapixels, but this is utterly pointless considering the quality of the lense and the sensor. Yes, you can zoom right in to your blurry, out-of-focus photographs, but why bother? Most pictures taken with the N95 look good at about half full screen size. After that they begin looking more and more like an extremely compressed jpg. If you buy this phone, don't bother shooting at 5 megapixels, save yourself some memory and shoot at a lower resolution. The only reason I can see for the camera shooting at 5 mega pixels is for a selling point to impress the ignorant.

Having that little rant out the way, the camera, for a phone, is actually quite good. Movies look good so long as you shoot in good lighting and they run at a smooth frame rate. My only real annoyance about using the camera is the fact that it's so sluggish. It takes a good few seconds to start up, then a good few seconds to focus on your subject, then after taking the picture, you'll have to wait a while for the image to be processed. The whole thing takes too long (yes, I have the v12 firmware update, and no, it doesn't make much of a difference). The convienience of having a reasonable quality camera in your pocket at all times is almost enough to make up for these annoyances however, just don't expect to be able to whip it out and take a bunch of quick shots of a fast moving subject.

EDIT: My curiosity got the better of me and I eventually decided to do a little timed test. My N95 takes a full 14 seconds to launch the camera application, focus, take a picture and then process it. This is compared to a mere 2 seconds using my cannon IXUS (and this includes the time it takes the IXUS to turn on and extend the lens). The N95 takes a full 6 seconds to process an image, the IXUS takes half a second. I did these test several times, I got the same results.

The media player is probably my most used of any of the applications. With a decent sized micro sd card (I use a 4gb one, but you can now get 8gb) it's a good replacement for your MP3 player. Music is organised similarly to an iPod, you can view albums, artists, songs etc. I have only three minor grievances with the MP3 player. Firstly, getting music onto the sd card takes a LONG time. You'll want to transfer everything all at once and then leave your computer alone for an hour or so. Much slower than using an ipod. Secondly, there is an irratating hiss when the music is quiet, for example, song intros. This is usually drowned out once the song starts properly. Finally, the media controls are not instantly responsive. When pressing pause nothing happens for about 2 or 3 seconds and you might press the button again causing the song to stop, then start. I have learnt to trust the pause button, pressing it, closing the cover, putting it back in my pocket and knowing that the music will stop at any moment.

The N95 is advertised as being capable of displaying full webpages. While this is technically true, you can view the web in it's full, unhindered glory, you really shouldn't. The main problems is the browser simply cannot handle it without slowing down to a crawl. The N95's browser seems to be the weak link regarding the internet. Even on fast wifi, navigating real webpages is slow and frustrating. You're better off sticking to phone supported pages.

With all this said, I really like the N95. It's obviously not as good as using standalone devices for everything it does, but I think this is severly outweighed by having just one, small device in your pocket. The N95 is not perfect, but it does a good job of setting a new benchmark for all in one devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Swiss Pocket Knife of Mobile Phone Technology, 15 Jun 2008
I work with and look into Mobile Technologies a lot. The choice between this and the Apple iPhone was a question of aesthetics over functional design. The Nokia has it in terms of being a device that would do everything I might ask a single mobile device to do.

If you want a phone that just does a lot of things, is future proofed and allows you to explore all sorts of new applications and future developments... highly highly recommend the N95 8Gb. If you want a phone that looks very cool infront of your friends when you take it out... Id look elsewhere. Although, if you have 'nerdy' techno friends... the N95 8Gb will have the same effect!! :)

What does it do, well, some of the things at least....
- 3.5G Very fast data communication protocol for phone networks. This means you can browse the web etc without being connected to wireless and its a lot faster than existing 3G and GPRS phones. Apple's new phone is only just 3G.
- Take Pictures (not so good, very slow start up time. Good quality when it gets there. Upload directly to your favourite web2 photo site.. such as Flickr.
- Use as a wordprocessor to take notes in meetings. (Married with a suitable Blue Tooth Keyboard, (recommend the iGo Stowaway!) this is all you need to walk into a meeting or conference and take your notes with)
- Use to access email and your Outlook Calendar on the go(I use Google Mobile)
- Use to record video
- Use GPS and NOkia Maps to 'see' where you are.
- Use Wireless to access Skype and browse the web in wireless enabled areas. (Downstairs on the sofa is quite comfortable!) The wireless feature scans for available wireless networks and shows them quickly on your phone. Really useful.
- Speaker phone is VERY loud if you need it as are the ring tones. You wont want them at full volume!!!
- Listen to Podcasts and your music on the go.
- Store your word, excel, powerpoint and pdfs on the 8Gb hard drive built in. If you want to use Office documents on your phone you would need to purchase a solution from one of the companies that produce MS Office compatible solutions for mobile devices. Although I have found the one I have chosen to be too slow to use and rather just use the Notepad feature for making my notes in meetings etc. Very fast, very clear to use.
- Download any number of applications to further add the the functionality you already have on your phone.
- The Calendar and ToDo functions which sync with Outlook is easy and quick to use.
- The shortcuts are usefully customisable.
- Video phone calls.
- Battery life?? Well, If you have the bluetooth turned on and the GPS and access the web and watch TV... you will drain the battery in your day.
I didnt find the NOkia Battery particularly bad, but I have opted for a third party extended battery just help it along, (Also available on Amazon). The phone will last for a few days on standby and with odd phone calls and moderate use. I use the phone every day and do not find the battery an issue. I do know there were lots of complaints with the original N95, but I think thats been a lot improved.
- BIG screen.

Negatives..
- NO external SD card slot. Not an issue for me todate, I connect the phone directly via its USB cable and its just another drive on the computer.
- No lens cover. Odd that.. for such a high spec camera. Wouldnt recommend the phone if taking pictures is very important to you for a phone. THe odd picture here and there, and its ok, but if its really important to you on your phone, think about some other options.
- Battery Life... Its not that bad, but there are a lot better out there if you are trekking down the Mekong or something for four days or something!
- Size and weight? Well, if you want a light slim sleek device, youd buy a friend some designer cigarette case or a Christian Dior Compact case, rather than a Swiss Army Knife.

But if you want a Swiss Army Knife... The N95 8GB is it.

Highly recommend the phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars *** AMAZING PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY ***, 21 Jun 2008
I wont rant on chapter and verse, I'll keep it short and point out what I use it for etc. At first I was dubious about getting this phone, it always looked big and clunky in the pictures, however my boss got one and checked it out and it looked very appealing as a multi purpose unit. I got mines free on a long term contract with O2 with a free bolt on, I chose free web access so i could check my email and surf the net whenever and use GPS Maps. I use the camera to take pix of my aution listing items and its the best i've used yet for results especially on close ups. Its got so many features to list, i wont go through them all but the main point for me was that as well as using it as a Cell Phone, i can also use it as a WiFi Phone, meaning that I can connect it to my PC via WiFi and use Skype or Yahoo or MSN Internet phone which is free as it uses your internet connetion, or if you have free web bolt on, use it anywhere when your out for FREE! As long as the person you are chatting to is using the same chat software (Skype, MSN, Yahoo etc) then the WiFi is brilliant, excellent sound quality as well.

Moving along to the Multimedia side of things, it has 8GB built in memory, yes its fixed and theres no SD slot but who cares, 8GB is more than enough to pack in plenty of Movies, a bucket of CD album MP3s, Photos and more; and with the standard 3.5mm Jack then your run of the mill MP3 player headphones work with it as well. Movie quality is outstanding and i'd go as far to say that its near DVD quality. It uses realplayer to if you've played a movie on your PC with RealPlayer then you'll know the quality you get. Its got a radio as well if you fancy a listen to that.

Theres so much to say about this phone and I'm missing out the technical wizardry that it works from in the background to facilitate its functionality but it truly is a remarkable unit and from Nokia then you know the build quality is assured.

Gripes? The only one I have is battery life, but its not really a gripe as I am realistic about the use of the phone against the power consumption and i think the battery does pretty damn well for the number of functions that it powers. I see that this has been a gripe for many other people but I put that down to higher demanding customer expectations on phones nowadays, lets be honest, if you had a separate camera, a separate MP3 Player, a separate phone, a separate movie player etc how much energy would you use for all of those? all those chargers, all those batteries...and lets not forget the cost. With the Nokia N95-8GB you get all those items wrapped into one small unit with one charger. Yes you may need to charge the batter more often, but not as often as you think. If all you do is talk on the phone, take pictures, listen to MP3s and watch Movies etc then focus on recharging your phone, your missing out on a whole world out there...simply put, your not going to be using all the functions all the time 24/7 so you wont have to charge it all the time, but at least all the functions are there for you to use whenever you want them.

I know i said I wouldnt rant on but I could write chapter and verse about this phone. Well done Nokia, Jobs a good'un on this one. I would strongly recommend this phone to anyone if they'd get the use and convenience out of it that I get.

FYI the Nokia N96 is out soon which has a 16GB on board memory and an SD slot...thats a sign that Nokia DO listen to consumer feedback and reviews...you can bet your bottom dollar though that it will cost a fortune for at least another year and a half before you get it free on any contract...so me? I'm sticking quite happily with my N95-8GB, its got all the features and functionality that I need and want. As far as I'm concerned, and I've checked out other phone units out there including PDAs...this one beats them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Phone, 5 July 2007
This review is from: Nokia N95 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
Don't disagree with too much in the other reviews - except/comments

- under 'normal' use the battery lasts OK considering the features - about a day.

- Firmware update has cured most of the bugs in the software

- Phone is relatively large against some phones, however, again considering the features (and the obvious need for a larger screen) it is good.

- Camera and video are both excellent.

Overall a nice bit of kit - don't use all the features at once and battery life is fine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feature Packed Fun!, 9 Nov 2007
This review is from: Nokia N95 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
My Nokia N95 arrived this week, I can't believe I waited so long for a great phone. I fell out with the Nokia brand after purchasing the Nokia N80, a chunky handset with so many promises and too many software gliches! I am now reformed.
The N95 does what is says on the tin! 5mp camera with flash is great and simple to use, handset is a slimmer more pocket friendly size. The screen is large and display quality impressive, wifi reception is great and the two-way slider is a novel idea. I like the web browser and it's quite speedy in displaying pages. I recommend this phone to anyone who needs a mobile for all round purposes. It's not the most fashionable looking handset and not the most compact but definately worth the money. The battery life is not as bad as I expected but I have still invested in a handy portable usb charger.
The N95 also comes with built-in gps, but I was alittle disappointed to find that you have to purchase maps for this feature.
Aside from this, the N95 entertains with its spoken caller id, a normal headphone jack( at last!), mini usb connection and reasonably decent(and loud) stereo speakers. Nokia have kept the menu interface simple making text messaging and calling easy. The menu buttons are a good size but some might find the buttons around the edge a little fiddly. The keypad isself is well sized.
I'm giving the nokia a full 5 stars, as it has exceeded my expectations and made my pda redundant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 3 Nov 2007
This review is from: Nokia N95 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
I have had the phone about 4 months.

Firstly I will stress this phone is not for those that do not read handbooks, you also need to know a bit about setting up such devices. Most problems that people have are due to pilot error.

Essential - update the firmware. If you do not it will be as described in most of the reviews that rubbish this phone.

The battery is poor but when you get the phone it connects to the web to do everything and does not always disconnect when it no longer needs the connection - not good for battery life or your phone bill! Configure the phone so that it does not connect all of the time, you don't need to. For example when using the GPS it downloads the maps as you need them. Use your computer to download them and transfer all the maps to the phone SD card - sorted. Always check that the connection icon is not showing when you have finished on the net.

My battery lasts about three days basic use but if you use all the functions we are talking in hours! I have a second battery charged and ready to go all of the time as they are cheap enough. Use a car power adapter when driving.

Camera/video - takes very good photos as standard but forget zooming in on anything unless you like rubbish grainy photos. Most digital zooms cause this problem though

Sat nav - works well IF you update to the latest firmware and download the free maps to the memory card. I have only used the free maps and used the sat nave a couple of times but it does the job.

3g - coverage in the UK is bad so the N95 drops calls and searches for a signal all the time which is not good for the battery life again. Not the phones fault turn 3g off unless you are surfing the net or have a good 3g signal in your area.

Music - great using the built in version of real player even using the phones speaker is good. Radio good, again do not let the phone connect to the internet to listen or you will get a flat battery and big phone bill.

Loads of other functions that I will not go into - great for those like me who love gadgets.

If you like messing with settings and reading manuals etc you will love this phone. If you are the sort of person who wants it to work perfectly out of the box don't get this "multi function device"

Can only give it 4 out of 5 due to the messing about to get it working well. Nokia - get firmware right BEFORE releasing phones!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nokia N95 No-go!!, 16 Sep 2007
C. Batten (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia N95 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
The Nokia N95 is a very good phone but do not advise you buying one for 500 or so, firstly the Battery life on this phone wont last a day. Overall the phone is good with its super camera of 5 MP and its WLAN and Bluetooth and all the rest of it, but all these gadgets in the phone use all the power and Nokia havent made a battery really suitable for the energy they need.

my rating would be: 3 and 1/2 stars Overall

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Best Friend, 26 Nov 2007
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nokia N95 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
Personally, I haven't been taken in by the iPhone hysteria. I had a play with one in the Carphone Warehouse and wasn't too impressed, to be honest. However, when T-Mobile offered me the chance of a free upgrade to the N95 then I didn't hestitate.

In the past, I've not really been too bothered about mobiles. I have a works mobile and use that most of the time, but do get a little worry about "personal use" and that sort of thing.

Firstly, it's appearance. It's a lot smaller and lighter than you'd imagine it would be. Mine's the standard plum colour, which I don't mind, so that doesn't bother me. The screen is nice and large and so clear and bright, it's amazing.

I'm used to the menus as my last personal mobile was the N70, so although the N95 is a lot more sophisticated, it still has the feel to the menus that I'm used to. They can be a little confusing and you do have to try and remember where certain functions are hidden away - particularly if you want to change a setting, but you soon get used to it. The N95's handbook is certainly something you'll want to refer to.

Now onto the meat of the machine: Wifi (fantastic! I hooked up to my BT Homehub straight away and was surfing away quite merrily within minutes).
The GPS is a great little add-on too, though beware that you'll have to purchase a licence from Nokia if you want to use the N95 for Voice Navigation. Although it's only around 50 for three years, it does seem a little galling that you have to splash out more cash if you want to make the most out of the N95s main functions. Still, you could always install third party software - Tom Tom for example, but you'll ahve to use an external GPS receiver as the TT doesn't (yet!) recognise the internal GPS on the phone. Rumours are abound that Tom Tom 7 (due Q1, 2008) will remedy this

The dual slide phone allows the intuitive use of the MP3 player, with its handy controls for play, rewind, etc. Looks cool too!

Unless it's T-Mobile being incredibly stingy (they didn't include an extra memory card), the internal memory of the phone is only a paltry 128MB, so you'll definitely need to purchase a MiniSD - available up to a whopping 8GB - to enable you to load loads of apps, music and video onto your new best friend.

Don't even get me started on the 5MP camera! Superb quality photos. However, I'm a little dubious on the "DVD like video" claim. I've tried it a few times over the weekend and all I've got is a flat battery and plenty of scratches from my less than amiable assistant, Tigger the cat!

I've only had mine for three days and, yes, I've to charge it a few times, but that's mainly because I've been playing with it non-stop and driving my wife mad all weekend. My tip would be to turn off all the bells and whistles and your battery should last a lot longer. For example, stop the phone constantly checking for a WiFi signal, turn 3G and bluetooth off. All these things will help.

Still, you can't be too hard on Nokia and the N95 - it really is a mobile PC in your pocket.

The best thing since Sky+!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Phone, 2 May 2007
This review is from: Nokia N95 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
I have always used Nokia phones for one reason they just work. I've not had this phone long (Upgrade from N80) but have to say so far it is very good. The camera produces good results in bright sunshine, but don't expect to much in low light conditions with the shadows showing a lot of noise, not a big problem in a mobile.

The MP3 player is just fab the controls hidden in the reverse slide is just a great idea, the sound quality from the in built stereo speakers is only ok but plug headphones into the built in 3.5mm jack and the sound is fantastic.

The GPS system is usefull but satalite receiving is a bit up and down that said I have to admit I have not tested it fully outdoors yet, where I would expect a big improvement. One thing to note about the GPS Maps function, a previous reviewer stated that maps can be downloaded at a cost of 45, I am actually dowloading the map of england at the moment and its free just go to [...] and download the maps from there, if you don't the N95 will download automatically, the maps are still free but it may cost you a small fortune in network time.

One last thing to note is that unlike the N80 the N95 does not come with a memeory card so if you need this buy at the same time you get your phone.

Nokia N95 Sim Free Mobile Phone