5.0 out of 5 stars The only torch you ever need?
Or thats the quote on many a website. I bought this torch as an aid for my outdoor persuits including finding my chocolate brown lab in the darker months.

I was replacing a 4D cell maglite that i used to own and was looking for a long life LED version when i stumbled upon this.

The battery life is supposed to be 50 hours plus and the range of the...
Published on 16 Oct 2007 by Gary Mason

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price.
Published on 11 Mar 2011 by aforandy

5.0 out of 5 stars The only torch you ever need?, 16 Oct 2007
Gary Mason - See all my reviews
This review is from: LED Lenser Police Tech Focus Torch (Black) - Gift Box (DIY & Tools)

The battery life is supposed to be 50 hours plus and the range of the beam 60m. It has a flood - focus adjustment (operated in the same way as the maglite). The focus is incredibly bright and intense, but the flood is still quite focussed; I dont get the same coverage I did from the maglite but the light is much whiter and range is equally as good.

I was more impressed by build quality. All screw fittings feel well engineered and secure. Rubber seals are neat and well sized but my biggest shock came when I opened the torch up to inspect the battery compartment. Instead of the usual method of inserting the battery, this torch has a canister type arrangement that is completely removed, put batteries in the insert, replace the insert, but the most surprising thing is the attention to quality; all contacts and current pathways are gold plated for the best possible connection.

All this coupled with the small size, weatherproof construction, incredible light weight, pouch with belt loop and clip and well presented packaging makes this the only torch I will ever need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb!, 28 April 2009
C. Macdonald "Parcel Monkey" (Deep in the Scottish Highlands) - See all my reviews
As I work nights, I required a torch which has a long burn-time and also is great value. This torch does both, and a whole lot more. Having used D cell Maglites in the past, and been quite disappointed with the light quality and the burn-time, this torch is exceptional.

It arrived in a great gift box, which was very well packed, and the belt holster (with free mini-carabine clip) is hard-wearing and protects the torch well.

As for the torch itself, the spot to flood option is great and gives good coverage overall. I have never been so impressed by such a small torch ever. If you're looking for a torch, then buy this one! You will NOT be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its only a torch, 6 Dec 2008
Andrew King "Mr King" (UK) - See all my reviews
Read the reviews of this item and couldn't understand how people were getting excited about some thing as boring as a torch. However I did need a new torch and since it was rated very high I brought this model. I now understand, its just so good! I wanted to replace my mini-mag with an LED equivalent, its is easily as well made as mag, but in addition to the mag its much brighter, and since it uses an LED the battery will last much longer. It seems to have managed to focus the light perfectly so that maximum light is where you point the torch and you don't loose anything around the edges, I assume this is why it appears much brighter than a conventional torch.

I brought this item at a reduced cost, but can easily see how they can charge £40 for a torch - I'm a very satisfied customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars So bright, so white, 11 Sep 2009
I've waited until experiencing this item before posting.

INFO
It comes with:
* String loop (to be looped around wrist etc while using) which works well.
* Small mountain climbing style clip (suitable for attaching small items like this torch).
* Well made Solid box.
* Three Good AAA batteries
* Synthetic material 'holster.' This seems strong and fit for purpose. Hasn't fallen apart.

The light is amazingly white. Compare it to a normal tourch and you'll see how yello the normal light is. In terms of illumination id prefer this LED over my hefty 1mil candle power torch. This item taught me that LED is supreme and that it's the future.

This torch has a variable focus so you can go from spot to flood light. The spot light is very good although at distence it is quite wide (therefore light intensity is diminished). The variation isn't huge but its enough to move between focusing and general lighting.

When you point it at the sky you can see the beam quite clearly. Fog is fun.

I've tested it and you can see it lighting up trees over 100 metres away. Useful (ie being able to see most of what you want) is perhaps 70 metres. For anything within 50 metres it's ideal.

This torch is useful for any standard needs. If you want something stupidly bright, i'd suggest a more expensive (and therefore more powerful) version. But from what ive seen, the bigger types aren't necessary.

The button is on the end of this one so you can turn it on quickly and easily. The button also allows for signals. The flash is brilliant. I've blinded many of my friends (for a while). This device would have the effect of confusing someone if it was flashed at them at night. You can see the imprint of the beam for minutes after it has hit your eyes.

The 3 AAA batteries load via a cannister which is inserted into the body of the torch.

The build quality is excellent. Equal to a maglight. When i screw the end back on it really feels like im creating a tight seal. Hard knocks have no effect.

This torch produces very little heat if left on.

It has coped well with extreme weather (snow, heat, rain).

It's small enough to fit in a pocket. Anything bigger would be too bulky.

So far the battery life has been excellent. The supplied batteries lasted months. When I got some new top quality ones the light was much whiter as well as brighter.

My only problem with this superb item is that it may be too bright. If you're looking at something very close (in your hand etc.) the reflection is very powerful and may dazzle you. Problem somewhat solved by holding torch at arms length above head.

Yeah so the only problem is it being too bright for some in-close use.

Overall this is a great item. I only write thourough reviews of things that are great or are terrible. I've taken the time on this one as its great.

Best torch i've ever owned. I've bought two so far and plan to give more as presents.

UPDATE
Had this torch for maybe three years now. still works. still blinds me every so often.
my old 3 cell maglite remains in a box somewhere. unloved, and not required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 10 July 2008
J. Ward - See all my reviews
I was so disappointed with a 2 cell Maglite that I purchased years back that I was not inclined to spend much on another torch but night-blindness getting worse so I relented. This torch is quite brilliant in every way and you have to take great care not to shine it in your, or anyone else's eyes. First class product and value for money. Great idea for a gift - according to my son!

5.0 out of 5 stars so good i have to hide it from my husband because he wants it for himself, 16 Oct 2009
this is the best torch we have ever owned. we live out in the country and have every type of torch, from the 10 million candle dinosaur to every size of maglite. this one is the best machined (says husband) and definitely the lightest for the power. only the 10 million candle shines a wider beam further but that is the size of a suitcase. we tested it at night from the garden and could clearly light up telegraph poles several hundred metres away. (we have no street lights here). now i have to hide my torch from my husband because he wants it for his car, his boat, his shed and all his other places but he has to buy his own!
i also have the ledlenser p7 which is heavier, slightly beamier and much more expensive. when trying both models at night, we saw no difference in light. however, p7 has 4 batteries and this one has three so maybe p7 has a longer life? both are very good. p7 is easier to focus since the ring slides back and forth; in this one, the ring turns to focus.p7 has a bigger and stronger pouch. i prefer this model because it weighs less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Torch, 4 Mar 2008
Mr. P. Lucas (UK) - See all my reviews
I need and use for work a good quality, well made, reliable torch thats not to big gives great performance by way of light and battery life and can fit onto my belt with the aid of a belt case (supplied). Well this torch goes beond all of my hopes and dreams, its great, best torch I have ever bought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Torch, 31 Oct 2008
Being a bit of a flashoholic i did my research before buying this item. Suffice to say it is impressive. It certainly does light up your way in the dark and if you think it isnt bright then get hold of any other torch you currently possess and do a comparison. Not so good for using as a close reading aid though as it is too bright. All in all though probably the best torch you will ever buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price., 11 Mar 2011
These torches are supposedly built to last. Well a drop from shoulder height (about 1.4m) killed mine instantly. Initially I thought the torch good enough. Construction felt solid enough and the beam was as bright as my much larger Maglite. However, I have since bought better torches for less than half the price. Check out any number of Cree LED torches before buying this. My latest is brighter, has been under water, dropped from height, trodden on and is still going strong, all for less than 15quid. They are out there don't be taken in by the Lenser range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best small torch for the money, 9 Nov 2008
G. Curran - See all my reviews
This torch is very bright and the build quality is excellent. The focus ability sets it apart. You could spend alot more money on an LED torch but there is no point. I would highly recommend this torch to anyone looking to upgrade to LED.