Format: DVD|Change

I'm being spoiled. First I see the beautiful, mature and delightful Mira Nair film "The Namesake" (in my top twenty with a bullet) - and now this peach! What's going on!!

"After The Wedding" has a central performance from Mads Mikkelsen (the facially scared card-playing La Chiffre in the superb "Casino Royale") that is both riveting and Oscar worthy. He's the kind of actor who can just stand there and whole worlds are expressed in his strangely compelling face - an instrument I'm sure the director knew would have us hooked right from the get go. When Mads smiles, you smile, when he hurts - you hurt. When he's on screen, he's riveting, like say Gary Oldman is. And I can imagine, many women wouldn't mind looking at him either - long after the two hours of this is up!

It's foreign language (dubbed) and opens with Mads (Jakob) in an Indian orphanage where he is distributing food from a truck, giving lessons in English in a shed of a building and generally holding it all together. But as always - lack of funds threathen imminent closure and the destitute children will be evicted out onto the harsh streets. He gets a phonecall from Denmark from Jorgen (Rolf Lassgard playing a millionaire businessman) with an offer of untold millions that will keep his orphanage open and indeed even help others. He seems reluctant to go and get this gift horse, but he has to. Jakob promises the adoring children that he'll be back within a week and he won't let them down. But things change when he gets there.

Forced to socialise with the man who holds the all-important purse strings, he attends the well-heeled society wedding of Anna (Jorgen's daughter) and to his astonishment, Jakob recognises Jorgen's wife - and she him - there's been history between them. Without giving too much plot away - Jakob makes a staggering and life-changing discovery and also, slowly but surely, begins to understand Jorgen's interest in wanting him back in Denmark.

This is about family, loved ones, the preciousness of our kids, betrayal, bad mistakes made in the past, another chance given to redeem them now - all the best stuff - and although some of the performances are at times slightly 'over-the-top' - the movie has heart - and you root for these people all the way to the end.

The cast is uniformly excellent - especially Mikkelson and Lassgard - who's rivalry and shared loves are beautifully and realistically handled. There were many scenes where tears willingly plopped out of my weary goggleboxes. And there's superb complimentary music too.

I loved this film - I really did. And I hope it will get the vast audience it deserves. Put it high on your rental lists.
on 16 March 2011
For some time now I have been a great admirer of Scandanavian films,and TV series such as 'Wallander',and 'Forbrydelsen'('The Killing').
'After The Wedding' embodies all the best attributes of Scandanavian film making,in particular understated,but powerful,acting.
The cast,playing the main Danish characters,are uniformly excellent,but for me the highlight is a scene towards the end of the film in which Rolf Lassgard's performance is so intense it left me stunned.
Thoroughly recommended.
on 3 October 2014
I don't know why this film isn't better known-it is one of the most moving and absorbing films I've seen for a long time.
I don't want to give away the storyline, but your perspective of the main characters changes as the plot unfolds.
The main actors are superb-especially Rolf Lassgard, who portrays intense emotions so viscerally.
Once again, the Scandinavians have excelled!
'After The Wedding' is a wonderful Danish film. It gives us a range of emotions, and the acting is superb.

Jacob, played by Mads Mikkelsen, manages an orphanage in India. He and his group are looking for funding to keep the orphanage afloat. He gets word that a man with influence and money wants to see him before he will give money to the orphanage. Jacob reluctantly returns to Denmark. Here he meets Jergen, played by Rolf Lasagard, who wants to be his benefactor. This man has power, too much money and Jacob is not impressed. It appears that Jergen wants to think about the funding over the weekend, in the meantime, he invites Jacob to his daughter's wedding. This is where the film takes off. At the church Jacob recognizes Jergen's wife, Helena. Helena, played by Sidse Babett Knudsen, is shocked to see Jacob- we understand right away that they had a relationship. During the wedding and reception, we come to also understand that Jacob is probably the father of the bride. This is quite a soap opera. However, this is only the beginning. Jergen has plans, and as the film evolves we see that instead of the ogre, he may have planned something. He is not thhe uncaring man, he seems to be. Jergen has a scene that is masterful and one of the best I have seen.

'After The Wedding' shows us what sacrifice is all about. Jacob for his orphans and Jergen for his family. This is a film that shows the difference between classes and the goodness in people. The acting by all is admirable. Afterall, we are told tht charity begins at home.

Recommended. prisrob 05-22-13
on 11 November 2014
Bought this for my friend, she is such a fan of "Mads Mikkeksen" it will be brill! . I did watch "Unit One" and thought that was amazing, sadly no more after Series Four. I will borrow this from my friend
on 1 December 2013
I confess to buying this film solely for the wonderful Mads Mikkelsen but the film was gripping from the outset. The plot is an interesting one which kept me guessing till the end and the acting was of a high standard, especially from Rolf Lassgard- his performance was outstanding and I found myself thinking about the film long after I had finished watching it- sadly a rarity these days. All in all a gripping, intelligent film. Highly recommended.
on 12 December 2013
I think this film is more for the older audience, though I enjoyed somewhat.

It can be a bit slow at times, but it made me watch it until the end.

It has a nice style and the story and characters are interesting enough. I would probably wait until this was under a £5 though. Not something I will cherish in my collection or watch again.

Probably wouldn't give it as a gift, but give it with a gift?
on 20 May 2011
A must see movie, very far from the boring Hollywood products. All in this movie seems real, the acting, the suffering, the love, the air. Being from southern Europe I am very used to seeing Italian, French UK cinema, but this film has a different scent, a world of its own, and all in it is real and has a special strength. The story takes you slowly and intelligently to a place you had not foreseen, and suddenly becomes a different movie, only as interesting, if not more, than the one you thought you were watching. As with other Susanne Bier's movies (particularly "In a Better World"), I cannot shake it away from my head after several days. I have the feeling that the real story she wants to tell is one of human values, simple moral issues which arise in everyone's lifes, all of it in a world inhabited by good hearted people. If only we could wake up one day in one of the worlds Ms. Bier depicts...
Congratulations for such a wonderful movie and for letting us believe that such a world can exist.
on 14 July 2008
I could go on but I don't think there are enough positive adjectives to describe the excellence of this film, the story, the characterisation, and most importantly of all, the acting. Mads Mikkelsen is excellent, as you would expect, but all four leading performances are genuinely incredible - I never cry at films, but this one genuinely moved me to tears.

And the camera work ... I could go on, but probably best to just say watch it.
on 14 August 2014
This film is such a gem. Yes, it's not a believable story but it doesn't matter. The emotions portrayed are. They are also raw and visceral so it's a feast for the eyes if you appreciate good acting/casting. Also the psychological mechanisms behind the characters' actions and the dialogues are very realistic. Makes you think 'yeah, that's exactly how I'd feel if it was me in that situation' so you can't help but root for Jacob and his quest. Without giving too much away Mads Mikkelsen is superior at playing emotions of the initial shock and horror as well as the daze that follows. I would say it’s a very “satisfying” and moving film to watch.