‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Snowdonia in a rainstorm? No problem!, 22 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version) (Sports)
It's June and have just got back from a weekend in Snowdonia. 1000ft up on an outcrop on one of the smaller hills. Woke up to 55mph winds, driving rain, and the storm blew ALL day. Gave this tent a serious test - and it passed! The poles were really flexing in the wind and the back of the tent was actually flattening right down from the force of the wind, but it sprang back each time, maintained its shape, stayed intact and more incredibly stayed dry inside!

The two entrance doors - one on each side were very useful as when the wind was blasting from behind I opened one door, later on in the day it was buffeting from the opposite direction and so I went out the other door.

The porch area groundsheet is zipped to the main area groundhseet at a slight slope. This is good because when the wind was pushing the rain under the edges of the outer tent it didn't even get halfway up to the interior. Plus the porch area groundsheet can be easily unzipped and the mud/water rinsed off.

My one advice - if you are going to be pitching this in an exposed area then make use of all 14 anchor points, plus even buy some longer, stronger, sturdier pegs because I found the ones supplied weren't quite long enough to keep them being pulled out of the ground from the pressure of the wind. (Way of getting round this was to drive the pegs within an inch of the floor or less and then place a heavy rock on top of each peg, and also placing more rocks on the black straps at the tent entrance, and also placing a couple around the edges of the porch groundsheet.

One little point about the guy ropes - they are great in being a highly visible bright green, (They almost glow) but they were becoming slightly loose in the wind so I was having to go out every few hours to tighten them. I'm thinking they would be easily modifiable with better guy-rope grips though.

Feature-wise there are mesh panels to keep the mozzies out, six side posckets on the inside of the tent, and a good ventilation system . The inside of the tent is very well ventilated, with vents even at the top of the tent. This makes it a bit fresh in high wind, (The vents tend to come open in the wind) but on the plus side it doesn't let in water, get sweaty or bad smelling and doesn't really drip condensation. Just make sure you have warm clothes and a snug sleeping bag!

This tent is well made, strong, sensibly designed and well worth every penny - the weather turned quick and I weighted and tied it down well it didn't let me down. I trust and recommend it. (Though of course don't recommend staying out in Snowdonia during a storm...NOT sensible, and very yuck...)

4.0 out of 5 stars Coleman Phad x2 tent, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version) (Sports)
Lovely tent, and good size two man, I chose this because it actually had a decent porch area, handy for wet weather. Easy to put up by one person in five, ten minutes. Good low amount of condensation when had frost and heavy dew overnight. Has good coverage over the zips and air vents on the sides, and small window in the porch, handy for airing without having the side doors open. Lots of neat little pockets inside the sleeping area for storage. Good on windy and wet days, but not been tested yet by the weather I normally camp in, which is very windy weather west coast of Wales, and east coast of Norfolk; nor has it been tested by the very heavy rains of west coast of Scotland and west coast of Cumbria yet! The inside sleeping area has extended high sides from the ground sheet, very useful in very wet weather, which brings me to the one thing I do doubt about, is with regards to the short sides of the tent, a good inch and a half short of the ground. I don't know if that was designed for air ventilation, and especially around the porch area; I am not sure how well this tent will fare in very wet west coast Cumbrian and Scottish weather. I have been thinking of having the posts shorten. Another minor thing is the ends of the poles that go into the round hooks keep popping out too easily, so you do have to be a little careful with them.
This tent is a combination of the two previous tents I have used in the past, a Swift and another Coleman. They had: extended high sides of the ground sheet, fixed inner to the fly sheet, lighter, good in strong winds, and both very good in very heavy wet weather, neither had any decent porch area to speak of. This is much easier to get packed into the carrier, although the handles could have been longer so you could carry it on your shoulders to leave hands free to carry other camping gear!
Good luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Wee Tent, 21 July 2009
Gary Hamilton "hamster67" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version) (Sports)
Had this tent for over a year now and would reccommend it to anyone, the only slight downside is that at 3.5kg a lot of lighter tents are around that would appeal more to the weight conscious backpacker.
However for camp sites and wild camps that dont involve carrying your gear for miles and miles I couldnt fault it, in fact it out performs a lot of more expensive tents I have stayed in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 2 Man size, questionable, 20 July 2009
P. O'Connor (London - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version) (Sports)
Very good product. I bought it for Glastonbury for just myself this year and it did the job fantastically well, the festival did see quite a bit of rain overnight on the Thursday night, but the tent held up fine to this. My two minor criticisms are 1) the size of the tent and 2) the Pegs. I did also buy the tent for the Reading festival coming up and I am going with the wife, so 2 Man tent - yeah I guess if you're not going to have any gear in the tent or you're not big. I am 6ft 3 and 14 stone, another guy the same size as me in there would have been extremely cosy, if you want a two man with comfort and space for your gear get the three man version, I guess I will battle through with the wife. You could leave your gear on the outside porch area of the tent on the grey sheet but the rain will get to it, trust me I know first hand. Also the pegs that come with it are useless; go buy some decent tent pegs. It is pretty light weight to carry, about the size of your rolled up sleeping bag which is decent to, all in all a good sturdy product just a minor gripe on the size I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coleman Phad X2, 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version) (Sports)
I got my Phad X2 back in 2007 to use whilst touring on bikes. Its a fantastic tent, its been all round England ( numerous times), round France and to New Zealand & back. Its stood up to all weather from sub freezing in Dunedin to 40 degree heat in Whatuwhiwhi. It gets the inside washed once a year and the outside inc ground sheet re waterproofed every spring. Could do with a new cross pole and a new set of light weight pegs. Its not intended for long term camping so interior space wasn't a big factor when I was deciding what tent to get. it accommodates both me and my wife, all our bike gear with enough room in the porch to cook/ make a brew if the weathers poor. This was the best part of 200 quid when I got it and i'm not in the least disappointed. Coleman Phad X2 Two Man Backpacking Tent

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality tent!, 14 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version) (Sports)
Shopped around for ages for new tent, and have been so happy with this one! Excellent quality of material! First weekend using it, it withstood high-wind storm and rain - excellent performance in the weather! Nice that it's self-supporting tent, so can get it set up very quickly and get gear inside while pegging the outside. Also makes for an easy shake-out of sand/dirt to clean out the inside. Windows in veranda part are nice and big, giving you the feeling of an open side, but still protects from weather. Only somewhat downside is that it is definitely a 2 person tent (enough room for gear in veranda, but not much more room inside), so if you want a little extra space for gear and more sleeping space, better to get the 3 person tent. But overall, I'd have to say the best tent I've ever owned! Definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the extra expense., 14 May 2014
This review is from: Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version) (Sports)
I've had this tent for almost two years now, and not once has it ever let me down.

Extremely easy to pitch, even if you're alone, due to the way the poles don't have to be fixed with pins at both ends, but rather just at one with the other end being a pocket instead. Also, the inner section can just be left attached for all purposes other than maintenance, which makes pitching a lot easier again. The poles are very hard wearing but are metal, which does add some weight that might not necessarily be ideal for some users. The structure can stand up to almost anything if my own experience is anything to go by, as can the material itself. Above all, the pegs are brilliant, almost indestructible.

I highly recommend this tent if you can spare the extra expense over other tents.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tent, 21 May 2013
Alsatian1 (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version) (Sports)
After staying in this tent for a week in Scotland and taking down in the mornings, travelling and putting it up somewhere new I the evenings, I can quite honestly say it's very easy.

The tent withstood some horrific rain and wind on mountains and near a sea cliff, and only drops a point because of severe condensation build up between the inner and outer tents on a river bank. This wasn't a huge issue but it meant having to take the inner tent out before packing so as not to soak it.

It's also one of the best looking tents I've seen, very striking and yet the colours hide it well amongst trees and undergrowth. Overall very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used extensively!, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version) (Sports)
Probably the best tent I will ever buy. I've recommended it to several friends who became just as happy. It withstood a fleet of tornado-impersonating-children when I put it up in my garden the first time. Other than that it has survived two trans-Europe bike trips, storms and a range of sharp touring equipment. It's easy to put up and while being spacious within it doesn't weigh too much, according to my limited experience. Will buy a new one of these if it ever collapses in the apocalypse-scenario that they seem built to withstand!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little tent, 22 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version) (Sports)
Bought this to go camping with the wife. Great little tent, really please but is very much a two man tent. Really please and a good buy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Coleman Phad X2 (Old Version)
Out of stock