1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Fatals douze points, 30 May 2008
Robert Clubb "book plumber" (Kingdom of Kippen) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pamplemousse Mecanique (Audio CD)
I bought this album when I was in France last year on the back of seeing Les Fatals Picards on the Eurovision Song contest. I can't recommend it highly enough. Les Fatals are a French satirical band who mix pop, punk and any other musical influence they can lay their hands on. Think They Might be Giants or even the Bonzos (for those of you who are old enough to remember) in French and you might get the picture. If you know no French then I guess you are not going to get a lot out of this but if you have even the smattering that I have then it's pure joy. From the fantastically surreal homage to that man of adventure Bernard Lavilliers through a damning condemnation of the crystalline falseness of Amelie Poulain (she of the film Amelie) to a majestic rant about the menace of the ubiquitous djembe drummers ('they make me want to tear down my Bob Marley posters and replace them with one of Giscard and his dog), Les Fatals take a wide swipe at whatever takes their fancy. Unfortunately I was just too late to see them at the Francofolies concert at La Rochelle but I'm told they are a fantastic live band. If you're brave or polyglot enough, buy Public too. It gives you an entire 90 minutes of concert on CD plus hours of video footage on DVD. A truly remarkable band. If you need any more convincing Terry Wogan thought they were 'rubbish' on last year's Eurovision. Plenty of examples of their work on YouTube too.

Pamplemousse Mecanique
Pamplemousse Mecanique by Les Fatals Picards (Audio CD - 2007)